Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: To Microsoft - Please enable RDP (server) in Home Premi

05 Jan 2010   #1

W7 X-64 W8.1 X-64 Opensuse 13.1 W2003 Server
 
 
To Microsoft - Please enable RDP (server) in Home Premi

Hi all

Now Windows 7 is out to the "Great Unwashed" I'm beginning to see all sorts of problems with things like "I can't SEND email when I'm on the Internet away from home" or "I want to logon to my desktop at home when I'm at work or in a Hotel.

Most of the remote machines have Home Premium installed. However an increasing amount of people are using some sort of networking on Home computers and want RDP type facilities.

Cheers
jimbo


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Jan 2010   #2
Microsoft MVP

Vista and now 7 in 32 and 64 bit.
 
 

I don't know how "standard" it may be, internationally, but in my abode, most ISPs have the facility to log in direct to the email site. But, with your other problem, the only versions with the "server" of Remote Desktop is Professional and Ultimate. Home Premium does NOT have this. It has Remote Desktop Connection, so it can connect to other PC's, but cannot be connected to. Maybe (??) , Microsoft will realise the crippling effect on users and send out an update - maybe!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2010   #3

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by davehc View Post
...Maybe (??) , Microsoft will realise the crippling effect on users and send out an update - maybe!
Don't count on it. If Microsoft had any intention of giving the home versions of Windows with the ability to receive RDP connections they what have done it already.

Just go for a third-party solution like GoToMyPC which handles all of the connection and network leg work for you. Cause honestly, it is a pain in the ass (beyond average users) creating a SECURE infrastructure to handle income RDP connections.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Jan 2010   #4

W7 X-64 W8.1 X-64 Opensuse 13.1 W2003 Server
 
 

Hi there
There really isn't any difficulty with RDP - most people who have a Home computer network with shared printers / disks wouldn't have any serious difficulties with RDP.
It just seems to me a real OMISSION to exclude the "Server" facility of RDP.

3rd party solutions like Logmein aren't always ideal - and in any case a lot of work places are now blocking these type of 3rd party servers.

I still think this should be part of the basic OS - otherwise the Home Premium version is pretty useless. What's the "Premium" in it for then or is my English regressing in the new year.

In any case for simple logon to a remote machine for a home computer the security aspect is usually GROSSLY overstated. Most people want to access email / send / receive a file (music / picture) or whatever when RDP'ing to a Home computer -- you normally wouldn't RDP to a home machine for Internet banking or whatever.

Another use is to use RDP for media streaming -- for example when I am back home or working in mainland Europe I RDP to a computer in the UK to receive Internet BBC R5 Live Premier Football. If you use a non UK based server then the broadcast is stopped due to "Lack of Rights" .

In this situation security isn't an issue -- if people want to hobble my connection and listen to the Footie well all in good.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2010   #5

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
There really isn't any difficulty with RDP - most people who have a Home computer network with shared printers / disks wouldn't have any serious difficulties with RDP.
Setting up intranet networking features is a completely different ball game then setting up a publicly accessible RDP connection. Not only setting it up so one could connect from the outside but also being secure. They will have a major difficulty.

Quote:
In any case for simple logon to a remote machine for a home computer the security aspect is usually GROSSLY overstated. Most people want to access email / send / receive a file (music / picture) or whatever when RDP'ing to a Home computer -- you normally wouldn't RDP to a home machine for Internet banking or whatever.
So you want all of that information going over the line in clear? Or give anyone access to your private and personal data by not securing the entry points to the RD Server? Security is GROSSLY understated.

Quote:
Another use is to use RDP for media streaming...
You do not need RDP for that. Windows Media Player 12 offers that functionality already. So do a lot of other players.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2010   #6
Microsoft MVP

Vista and now 7 in 32 and 64 bit.
 
 

"What's the "Premium" in it for then or is my English regressing in the new year"
LOL. No regression. But you are referring to Microsoftese - not the english language.

"Ultimate" and "Professional". I would never, without having reference (which is available, I suppose), no the diffrence from "normal" english useage.

Webster: Professional - conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession
Ultimate - the best or most extreme of its kind.

So "Ultimate" does not conform to technical or ethical standards, in the eyes of professional people, although it is complete?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2010   #7

Windows XP - Now Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).
 
 

I agree with jimbo, was it really too much to ask for them to include the facility in Home Premium. Ditto BitLocker; yes I know you can download TrueCrypt but just would have been nice.

Quote:
Home Premium does NOT have this. It has Remote Desktop Connection, so it can connect to other PC's, but cannot be connected to
Thanks for this clarification; I had no idea
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2010   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
. However an increasing amount of people are using some sort of networking on Home computers and want RDP type facilities.
Agreed.



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by davehc View Post
Maybe (??) , Microsoft will realise the crippling effect on users and send out an update - maybe!
They have an update...it's a higher priced version of Windows. They had this limitation in Windows XP, they had this limitation with Vista and they are continuing this limitation with Windows 7. I don't forsee them changing their minds on this one.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
and in any case a lot of work places are now blocking these type of 3rd party servers.
In addition, a lot of work places also block outbound TCP 3389 (RDP) to prevent people from connecting to home and surfing the web in an attempt to bypass filtering software and whatever on the local network.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
I still think this should be part of the basic OS - otherwise the Home Premium version is pretty useless. What's the "Premium" in it for then or is my English regressing in the new year.
Remember, it's Microsoft and they are in business to sell you software. And if you want RDP, you can pay more for RDP. I was sorely disappointed to see so many versions of Vista because all they did was break out features and include them only in certain versions rather than just provide them. This is one of the reasons why I cherish alternatives like Linux....because I'm not stuck with what Microsoft gives me if I don't want to be.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by manhunter2826 View Post
I agree with jimbo, was it really too much to ask for them to include the facility in Home Premium. Ditto BitLocker; yes I know you can download TrueCrypt but just would have been nice.
Again, Microsoft knows that people want RDP and some are willing to pay more for it in upgraded versions of the operating system. As far as Bitlocker goes, I think you are better off with TrueCrypt anyway. It works on more operating systems thus providing more accessibility to your locked data.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2010   #9

Windows XP - Now Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).
 
 

Quote:
As far as Bitlocker goes, I think you are better off with TrueCrypt anyway. It works on more operating systems thus providing more accessibility to your locked data.
Thanks for that info
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2010   #10

7 Prof
 
 

Sorry Jimbo, I don't get the point of this thread. If MS wanted to give away RDP Server in Home Premium, they would have done it. They want YOU to pay for it a la Professional. So...it's available...you just gotta pay more. If instead, MS decides to listen to Jimbo and release it for free, a lot of people who bought Professional will be pissed off, since that is a major difference between the 2 versions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 To Microsoft - Please enable RDP (server) in Home Premi




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33