Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Lots of Windows7 Problems

07 Jan 2010   #1
rudders93

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 
Lots of Windows7 Problems

Hi,

I don't really know how to group this, but recently I've been having alot of Windows7 problems. These are some of the ones I've noticed:

  • Can't see changes made to folders until I manually refresh (Ctrl R)
  • Windows Media Player crashes and doesn't load at all 90% of the time
  • Doesn't shut down properly (hangs on shutting down screen for more than 15 minutes) 1/3 of the time
  • Recently, on the taskbar nothing pops up (so no previews)
I've run a virus scan (AVG) but it comes up as negative.

What could be the cause of these various problems? My computer is powerful enough to run them all, and it ran them perfectly until I started noticing these things

Thanks!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Jan 2010   #2
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Just need a little more information. Did you do a clean install or an inplace upgrade?
Did you list your computer specs? I did not notice before posting.
Did the problems begin immediately or did you use the computer for a while?

If you did a clean install, one thing that you can try is this. In an administrator account, type cmd in search. In the cmd box, type sfc /scannow. If problems are found run it several times.

Get the required information and then we can proceed from the sfc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2010   #3
ski

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rudders93 View Post
Hi,

I don't really know how to group this, but recently I've been having alot of Windows7 problems. These are some of the ones I've noticed:

  • Can't see changes made to folders until I manually refresh (Ctrl R)
  • Windows Media Player crashes and doesn't load at all 90% of the time
  • Doesn't shut down properly (hangs on shutting down screen for more than 15 minutes) 1/3 of the time
  • Recently, on the taskbar nothing pops up (so no previews)
I've run a virus scan (AVG) but it comes up as negative.

What could be the cause of these various problems? My computer is powerful enough to run them all, and it ran them perfectly until I started noticing these things

Thanks!
Make sure AVG is updated with the latest virus files. You may also want to use more than one AV program, as AVG may miss some viruses.
Do you also use anti-spyware programs? If so, are they also updated with the latest files?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Jan 2010   #4
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2010   #5
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ski View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rudders93 View Post
Hi,

I don't really know how to group this, but recently I've been having alot of Windows7 problems. These are some of the ones I've noticed:

  • Can't see changes made to folders until I manually refresh (Ctrl R)
  • Windows Media Player crashes and doesn't load at all 90% of the time
  • Doesn't shut down properly (hangs on shutting down screen for more than 15 minutes) 1/3 of the time
  • Recently, on the taskbar nothing pops up (so no previews)
I've run a virus scan (AVG) but it comes up as negative.

What could be the cause of these various problems? My computer is powerful enough to run them all, and it ran them perfectly until I started noticing these things

Thanks!
Make sure AVG is updated with the latest virus files. You may also want to use more than one AV program, as AVG may miss some viruses.
Do you also use anti-spyware programs? If so, are they also updated with the latest files?
I suggest that you use only one A/V. Microsoft Security Essentials is all that you will need.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2010   #6
rudders93

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Hi,

I got a new computer (Core i5, ATI Radeon graphics card (can't remember which - 1gig DDR5), 4 gig ram, 380 gig hard drive), and I installed Windows 7 Ultimate on it. So yes, it was a fresh install.

I started noticing these problems maybe two weeks back with Windows Media player crashing, then i started to notice computer wouldn't connect to my wireless network, then the folders, and just today the taskbar previews (I restarted and they're working, but same with wireless. Restart SOMETIMES fixes... but it is still quite annoying.

Ok results of scan are:
Code:
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations
Also, I have noticed that whilst I made my account administrator I had to do: (Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista - the How-To Geek) to run as administrator. Is that normal?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2010   #7
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

If the computer ran well at first, with so many problems you may just want to use system restore, from a point prior to the problem. Check for Virus first, however. Run a virus scan.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2010   #8
ski

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
I suggest that you use only one A/V. Microsoft Security Essentials is all that you will need.
I agree, if you're referring to having only one primary AV program running in the background, so there are no conflicts with any other AV programs that are trying to do the same thing.
However, because exhaustive testing has shown that no single AV program is 100% efficient, it's highly recommended to use several of them to insure a more thorough virus search. This can be easily done by activating only one to run in the background with the others disabled. Then, do a manual scan with each one individually making sure that all of the others are disabled.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2010   #9
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ski View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
I suggest that you use only one A/V. Microsoft Security Essentials is all that you will need.
I agree, if you're referring to having only one primary AV program running in the background, so there are no conflicts with any other AV programs that are trying to do the same thing.
However, because exhaustive testing has shown that no single AV program is 100% efficient, it's highly recommended to use several of them to insure a more thorough virus search. This can be easily done by activating only one to run in the background with the others disabled. Then, do a manual scan with each one individually making sure that all of the others are disabled.
I cannot say that I agree. But, I must admit this is subjective, maybe there is no right or wrong. There are many here, that I know for a fact that would disagree with using 2 A/V and I have, also, seen opinions that agree with you. I feel only one, and a little common sense is all that is needed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2010   #10
Bill

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Have you ever tried running Malwarebytes before? Sometimes it will pick up things that other programs will not..

Malwarebytes.org

Good luck...

-Bill
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Lots of Windows7 Problems




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Lots of BSODs different processes RAM problems?
Hi, My friend is having a lot of blue screens, so I thought I'd check them with windbg and I'm a newbie so I just looked at the processes, bucket ids and googled them to see if anyone else has the problems, I am now clueless because they all seem to be different and so I need an experts opinion. I...
BSOD Help and Support
Lots of BSOD problems lately
Hi there everybody! Lately I had many BSODs and I do not know why is that. So I included my dump memories. BSODs happened while playing games, watching films even while doing nothing. I have everything installed the same way as my last PC and there were none BSODs so I am really helpless at this...
BSOD Help and Support
Lots of problems with Windows 7 update......
Hi all, after some time spent trying to find a solution, I admit defeat - I cannot use Windows Update at all. I have followed the steps you advise before posting but alot have failed. I have tried downloading the SURT and a box appears saying 'Do you want to install the following Windows software...
Windows Updates & Activation
Lots of problems and can't re-install
Hi everyone, I won't go into details but I have 2 problems left on my PC whereby the only fix is a repair of windows. I put the DVD in, followed the tutorial on here but it keeps telling me the disk is an older version of windows than the one on my PC. The thing is this DVD I'm using to try to...
General Discussion
Lots of display problems
Yesterday my PC was working fine. I am having Windows 7 Ultimate x32 bit. Today I logged in and here is what happened 1) Only black screen instead of wallpaper. 2) No icon being loaded for everything. 3) This is a background which I applied again still no background.
Customization
Lots of problems
Two nights ago I had realized that I lost all sound and noises that Win7 usually makes. This didn't bother me too much, as I thought I could fix it by adjusting the mixer levels. I was completely wrong, I started to get worried and google'd answers. One of the responses was to hit the "Windows...
Windows Updates & Activation

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:48.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App