Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Password protected folders without programs?


13 Jan 2010   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Password protected folders without programs?

Back in Windows XP, there was a trick to make a folder totally inacessible. It was a bat file with comands that would change the name of the folder to some special name, which would make the folder inacessible, and not localizable through "Find (F3)". The code of this bat was the following:

Code:
Quote: cls
@ECHO OFF
title Folder Private
if EXIST "Control  Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" goto UNLOCK
if NOT  EXIST Private goto MDLOCKER
:CONFIRM
echo Are you sure you want to  lock the folder(Y/N)
set/p "cho=>"
if %cho%==Y goto LOCK
if  %cho%==y goto LOCK
if %cho%==n goto END
if %cho%==N goto END
echo  Invalid choice.
goto CONFIRM
:LOCK
ren Private "Control  Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
attrib +h +s "Control  Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
echo Folder locked
goto  End
:UNLOCK
echo Enter password to unlock folder
set/p  "pass=>"
if NOT %pass%== password here goto FAIL
attrib -h -s  "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
ren "Control  Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" Private
echo Folder  Unlocked successfully
goto End
:FAIL
echo Invalid password
goto  end
:MDLOCKER
md Private
echo Private created successfully
goto  End
:End
There's some flaws in that method: the person could enable seeing the hidden folders and extensions, and just remove the code at the end of the folder, to make it accessible. Or the person could check the bat file for the password, but this could be resolved by compiling the bat file to an exe. Anyway it's nice for hidding files from casual computer users.

Well, the fact is that it doesn't work in Vista or 7. Is there any other "special name" that could be replaced by that one, in order to make it work on Windows 7?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Jan 2010   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Try this. Go to folder right click...properties...security...permissions. You could give permission only to yourself. This does not work of course if others are using your account. In that case set up separate accounts.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2010   #3

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Try this. Go to folder right click...properties...security...permissions. You could give permission only to yourself. This does not work of course if others are using your account. In that case set up separate accounts.
Nah, I meant protecting it even from the actual user. The problem is: sometimes there's some friends here, and I leave my user logged in for them, since all the games, programs and stuff are already configured here. But those mother****ers insist to search for my porn files when I'm not looking. I would like to prevent this by password locking the folder.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Jan 2010   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andexls View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Try this. Go to folder right click...properties...security...permissions. You could give permission only to yourself. This does not work of course if others are using your account. In that case set up separate accounts.
Nah, I meant protecting it even from the actual user. The problem is: sometimes there's some friends here, and I leave my user logged in for them, since all the games, programs and stuff are already configured here. But those mother****ers insist to search for my porn files when I'm not looking. I would like to prevent this by password locking the folder.
In lieu of a better way, you can open another account and put all your private files in that account. Give permission only to the second account.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2010   #5

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andexls View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Try this. Go to folder right click...properties...security...permissions. You could give permission only to yourself. This does not work of course if others are using your account. In that case set up separate accounts.
Nah, I meant protecting it even from the actual user. The problem is: sometimes there's some friends here, and I leave my user logged in for them, since all the games, programs and stuff are already configured here. But those mother****ers insist to search for my porn files when I'm not looking. I would like to prevent this by password locking the folder.
In lieu of a better way, you can open another account and put all your private files in that account. Give permission only to the second account.
make sure that you password that account.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2010   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Or Just encrypt the folder. Keeps prying eyes out completely see PGP
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2010   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Or Just encrypt the folder. Keeps prying eyes out completely see PGP
Yes, much easier way, if you have an edition of Win 7, higher than Home Premium. If you do, I, too suggest encryption. You paid extra for that feature.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2010   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Even if you don't have a higher version, you could always use something like TrueCrypt.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2010   #9

Windows 7
 
 

I didn't want to encrypt the folder, just wanted to password protect it.
Anyway, I just found a nice and simple program to do it: Folder Protector.

Thanks for your help!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2010   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Sorry we could not be more help; happy that you did find a solution.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Password protected folders without programs?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Password protected folders without programs?
Thread Forum
Solved Password protected sharing is OFF, still asked for username/password? Network & Sharing
Password protected network share folders Network & Sharing
Using password protected sharing. Network & Sharing
password protected programs? Software
Password protected web page Browsers & Mail
Xp password protected sharing with win 7 Network & Sharing
Password Protected Sharing Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33