Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7: Excellent except for 3 "issues"

13 Jan 2010   #1
Ed Bradford

Windows 7
 
 
Windows 7: Excellent except for 3 "issues"

I have been running Windows 7 for almost a year now. I like it, but have three complaints that really need attention.

1. If you leave your computer over night, when you come back it
can take as long as 10 minutes to become fully functional
again. VISTA had this problem but it was not as severe.

2. Like other versions of Windows, over time, Windows 7
"matures". Maturation requires a reboot to restore youthful
vigor. With XP and VISTA it was about a month. Basically, the
network would curdle. With Windows 7, it seems shorter. I
experienced starting a cmd.exe that did not pick up the
PATH variable. I closed a number of applications and tried
again, but got the same results. I believe this is a side
effect of the memory allocation problems described in #1.

3. Scrollable pages jump. This is especially noticeable in
Windows explorer. If you try to navigate in the left pane of
Windows explorer and you push the '+' to open a folder. The
left pane doesn't move for a bit then jumps to the bottom of
the list of items in the folder. This also shows up in
browsers where pages will jump around until fully loaded.

Has anyone else seen these problems? Have they been reported and
is Microsoft going to fix them?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Jan 2010   #2
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

I don't think that I have experienced any of the problems listed. I'm certain about #1, but not quite as sure about #2, because I generally reboot more often than that. #3 isn't happening here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2010   #3
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Jan 2010   #4
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

The Radio star host, computer guru, Kim Komano, has alway advised, to shut down computer once a week.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2010   #5
noobvious

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (desktop)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
The Radio star host, computer guru, Kim Komano, has alway advised, to shut down computer once a week.
That's good to know.....I have been doing that once or twice a week, and using "sleep" the rest of the time. It just seemed like a good idea.
Thanks for sharing!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2010   #6
CorrsFan

Windows 7 Beta 64bit
 
 

I KNOW what you mean about #3. It is incredibly annoying to be navigating a directory on left Explorer pane using the "+" symbols, only to have the blooming pane display adjust itself and by "jumping" the newly opened directory to the bottom of the pane. It, of course, doesn't happen all the time...but it does happen.

I think closing all open Explorer windows occasionally is a good idea. I've experienced other issues when having multiple (>4) Explorer windows open, such as delayed or No view updates, and new files being added to the end of the file list instead of being placed in the proper sorted order (like in XP).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2010   #7
satchmo

Windows 7 Home Premium 64
 
 

When I leave the computer on overnight, it takes less than five seconds to return full functionality.

What's your power settings? Did you set it to hibernate?

I never hibernate my computer. It goes to a suspend mode only.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2010   #8
Ollie89

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Issue #1 : Very strange dude i don't no but i have left my laptop on overnight so i might try it tonight and have a look but i have never had that issue with any other windows OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2010   #9
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by noob View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
The Radio star host, computer guru, Kim Komano, has alway advised, to shut down computer once a week.
That's good to know.....I have been doing that once or twice a week, and using "sleep" the rest of the time. It just seemed like a good idea.
Thanks for sharing!
I also shut down the modem, when the compter is down.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2010   #10
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ed Bradford View Post
I have been running Windows 7 for almost a year now. I like it, but have three complaints that really need attention.

1. If you leave your computer over night, when you come back it
can take as long as 10 minutes to become fully functional
again. VISTA had this problem but it was not as severe.

2. Like other versions of Windows, over time, Windows 7
"matures". Maturation requires a reboot to restore youthful
vigor. With XP and VISTA it was about a month. Basically, the
network would curdle. With Windows 7, it seems shorter. I
experienced starting a cmd.exe that did not pick up the
PATH variable. I closed a number of applications and tried
again, but got the same results. I believe this is a side
effect of the memory allocation problems described in #1.

3. Scrollable pages jump. This is especially noticeable in
Windows explorer. If you try to navigate in the left pane of
Windows explorer and you push the '+' to open a folder. The
left pane doesn't move for a bit then jumps to the bottom of
the list of items in the folder. This also shows up in
browsers where pages will jump around until fully loaded.

Has anyone else seen these problems? Have they been reported and
is Microsoft going to fix them?
Issue #1. I have never had this happen
Issue #2. I have run Windows XP for 1 year without rebooting (no updates) and never had a problem. Typically I run my machines 24 hours a day with no reboots (exception of Windows Updates). Never seen this problem on Windows 7.
Issue #3. Make sure your video driver is completely updated. I have seen this happen with a bad video driver. Next make sure all the helper services for your driver are disabled. You don't need them and they always cause a lot of problems.

Question: Is your machine a CLEAN install??? If not that may be why you are having problems. Windows 7 works best installed on a wiped clean hard drive. I wiped my machines through all the Windows 7 Betas, and RC to make sure. When I bought Windows 7 final I wiped the drive and installed fresh. No problems here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7: Excellent except for 3 "issues"




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Only 'Administrator' account will logon, then "Windows Genuine" issues
Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0): ----------------------------------------- Windows Validation Data--> Validation Code: 0x8004FE21 Cached Online Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0x800700b7 Windows Product Key: *****-*****-6FK7P-XQXFQ-J4MP4 Windows Product Key Hash: lNwLB5MBClr7RptLlxdkJ2WJB4I=...
Windows Updates & Activation
Changing the "minimize" "maximize" and "close" buttons of a theme
Ok so I'm using a custom visual style made by another user however I don't really like the buttons used that I mentioned above. The creator states it is acceptable to change the theme to however you like as long as you don't redistribute it anywhere. Ok so I opened up the .msstyles file (using...
Customization
BSOD every few hours: mostly "STOP: 0x00000F4", "c00021a" & "c0000135"
Hi everyone! Yesterday my HP laptop (Windows 7) started getting BSOD with various types of errors (mostly "STOP: 0x00000F4", "STOP: 0x0000007A", "c00021a" and one "missing %hs, c0000135"). Most of the time it restarts without any issues and works fine right after the BSOD and then an hour or two...
BSOD Help and Support
Need to add "TASKBARS" (MSese for "Launchpads", "Docks" NOT "Toolbars"
My office just upgraded, and I can no longer use Windows XP. On this system, I was able to add a separate taskbar to facilitate quick access to commonly-browsed folder locations on our vast network, and another one expedited the launching of useful programs and lists. Each task on each taskbar...
General Discussion
"dependency chain" "windows 7" internet "windows explorer"
"dependency chain" "windows 7" internet "windows explorer" At the time of this writing, this search in Google will produce one result at best. Am I searching the wrong things? I have tried a couple handfuls of variants, and I am coming up with zilch. Though I am fairly well versed in...
System Security
Recent Windows Update fixed my "restart" and other hardware issues!
Just thought I'd pass along this observation... Something done by Microsoft in a fairly recent (say no more than the past 3-4 weeks) has addressed TWO specific seemingly BIOS-related issues I've had on my Supermicro C2SBX motherboard ever since installing Win7 back in December 2009. The issues...
Windows Updates & Activation

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App