Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New icons location in Desktop


15 Jan 2010   #1

Windows 7
 
 
New icons location in Desktop

Yes, it's kinda ridiculous issue , but see this image:




The downloads I make appear between the Computador (Computer) and the Anderson (Default User) folder, which sucks! I like my Desktop organizated, I wish the itens I download went to the space after the last shortcut, in this example, below Nero StartSmart.

One solution I found to this was setting the sorting mode to Time Modified, but when I do this, I can't use Auto Arrange, or the Computador, Anderson and Lixeira icons are moved to the end of the list.

I know it's nothing important, but I just wish it was like Windows XP. Is there a way to fix this?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Jan 2010   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1
 
 

Maybe something like this will help you out, in this post...FREE Great Programs for Windows 7
Here's the link for that app...http://www.sillysot.com/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate - 64-bit | Windows 8 Pro - 64-bit
 
 

Hi, Welcome to SF,

You could try to uncheck Auto Arrage option. First arrange the way you want then Right Click on Desktop > Arrange Icons By > uncheck Auto Arrange see whether that makes a difference.

Hope this helps,
Captain
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Jan 2010   #4

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
Maybe something like this will help you out, in this post...FREE Great Programs for Windows 7
Here's the link for that app...Iconoid - Hide and show desktop icons, maketransparent backgrounds
This program does nothing about what I want, but thanks anyway

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Capt.Jack Sparrow View Post
Hi, Welcome to SF,

You could try to uncheck Auto Arrage option. First arrange the way you want then Right Click on Desktop > Arrange Icons By > uncheck Auto Arrange see whether that makes a difference.

Hope this helps,
Captain
Sorry, I had misstranslated "Auto Arrange". That's what I meant with "Auto Organize" in the first post. Beside of the reason I sayid there, there's another reason why I can't disable Auto Arrange. When I come back from a Full Screen game in a different resolution than my Desktop's, the icons get messed up, they leave a 2 icon space in height below the desktop...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2010   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1
 
 

Sorry that's not what you were looking for, Here's some more I found on CNET if you want to look at them. Good luck and I hope you get it figured out.
Icon Tools - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2010   #6

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
Sorry that's not what you were looking for, Here's some more I found on CNET if you want to look at them. Good luck and I hope you get it figured out.
Icon Tools - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
Seriously, I don't think my problem has something to do with icons themselves.

It's just a Windows 7 arranging "issue".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2010   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andexls View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
Sorry that's not what you were looking for, Here's some more I found on CNET if you want to look at them. Good luck and I hope you get it figured out.
Icon Tools - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
Seriously, I don't think my problem has something to do with icons themselves.

It's just a Windows 7 arranging "issue".
Your screenshot led me to believe it was an Icon issue, the reason I was suggesting one of those programs is they claim to manage and remember where you want your icons, which is what I thought your problem was. If that's not what your trying to do, I apologize for not understanding what you wanted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2010   #8

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andexls View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
Sorry that's not what you were looking for, Here's some more I found on CNET if you want to look at them. Good luck and I hope you get it figured out.
Icon Tools - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
Seriously, I don't think my problem has something to do with icons themselves.

It's just a Windows 7 arranging "issue".
Your screenshot led me to believe it was an Icon issue, the reason I was suggesting one of those programs is they claim to manage and remember where you want your icons, which is what I thought your problem was. If that's not what your trying to do, I apologize for not understanding what you wanted.
I hadn't found in those lists a program who does that (remember icon positions).

And don't take me wrong, I really appreciate your help attempts!


Well, I guess that there's no real solution for that, it's just how Windows 7 is. I think I'll just get used to it with time.

Thanks for your help anyway, I'll add a reputation point for you guys.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2010   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andexls View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andexls View Post

Seriously, I don't think my problem has something to do with icons themselves.

It's just a Windows 7 arranging "issue".
Your screenshot led me to believe it was an Icon issue, the reason I was suggesting one of those programs is they claim to manage and remember where you want your icons, which is what I thought your problem was. If that's not what your trying to do, I apologize for not understanding what you wanted.
I hadn't found in those lists a program who does that (remember icon positions).

And don't take me wrong, I really appreciate your help attempts!


Well, I guess that there's no real solution for that, it's just how Windows 7 is. I think I'll just get used to it with time.

Thanks for your help anyway, I'll add a reputation point for you guys.
You're welcome and I know you appreciate the help, As for those programs, look at this one it says it will save and restore the positions of your icons, see if that might help.
DesktopOK - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2010   #10

 
 
Program to Remember Icon Position

Andexls,
Take another look at the Icon Tools at CNET and look for DesktopOK. I think that's what you're looking for. At least it is what I was looking for - Thanks Derek.
I rely on desktop shortcuts instead of using the Start Menu for the stuff I use the most. Every version of Windows I've ever used has tended to re-arrange the icons periodically. I use EzDesk on my XP computer, but of course, that program doesn't work on Win 7.

Derek,
Do you know where Win 7 stores the icon position information? A file or a registry entry?

Tom
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 New icons location in Desktop




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: New icons location in Desktop
Thread Forum
Solved Permissions issue? No desktop icons or system tray icons. System Security
Adding Icons to default location? Customization
Location of Icons General Discussion
User icons location? Themes and Styles
How to change the location of icons on Win 7 taskbar? General Discussion
Location on desktop icons Customization

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33