|17 Jan 2010||#1|
| || |
Multiple problems with windows 7
This may be a long message but I am disillusioned about Microsoft generally and Windows 7 in particular. I have had every MS OS since win 3.1 and expect, that each version would be better....in every way than its predecessor....but alas!
I run vista ultimate and bought Windows 7 a few days ago. This is the story:
1. Connected only 1 HDD, fully formatted for NTFS and a DVD with the Windows 7 dvd. Ran the app it found C drive and it installed as it should. But on booting I got error message "disc.... error". After more attempts, I connected my vista drive and installed it via that and it found the empty reformatted drive and installed OK. But it placed the MBR on the host (Vista) drive and not the drive where Windows 7 was installed meaning I have to run the host to start Windows 7.
After 2 full days of re-installing, reformatting and many suggested fixes including writing code to the MBR the problem remains.
2. There is no graphics with my full version Windows 7 Media player. I downloaded the MS fix/patch file w6.1-KB968211.msu but neither the .x86 or .X64 work. Message " not compatible with this computer".
3. Easy transfer is hopeless if you keep all your data files remote from C drive. I keep mine on a separate partition for security.
4. Bill baby has made it difficult to use Thunderbird or Firefox and other 3rd party apps and my email still down. Also why cant I get rid of unwanted or unused MS icons that remain. I use 3rd all party fire walls etc etc in favour of MS apps. MS Defender is a loser of mammoth proportions.
5. It looks like business as usual with a myriad of patches and service packs on the horizon.
|My System Specs|
|17 Jan 2010||#2|
| || |
I agree on Easy Transfer when you have multiple partitions.
Agree to some degree on point 5; but I don't ever expect that to change given the world the way it is (ongoing security issues).
Agree to some point on icons. I have no use for Favorites, Network, or Library icons in left pane of Explorer. All I want is a representation of my drives. I realize some of them can be removed, but I haven't yet got around to it.
Have no problem at all with Thunderbird other than expected hairpulling on getting address book and old mail transferred. I consider that a Tbird problem more than a MS problem.
Don't know about your problem 1. I have NEVER had significant install issues dating back to Windows 95 and thought the Win 7 install was smoothest yet.
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Multiple problems with windows 7|
|Multiple problems when trying to update Windows 7||General Discussion|
|Windows 7, multiple UAC problems||General Discussion|
|Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Multiple Problems||General Discussion|
|Multiple problems with Windows 7 x64 on new laptop||General Discussion|
|Windows 7 x86, help Multiple problems||BSOD Help and Support|
|Windows 7 multiple BSOD problems||BSOD Help and Support|
|Multiple windows 7 Problems||General Discussion|
|Our Sites ||Site Links ||About Us ||Find Us |
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 AM.