Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Resizing a partition on an external hard drive

31 Jan 2010   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Resizing a partition on an external hard drive

Hello, I have a problem resizing NTFS partitions on my external hard drive. First I tried to shrink one of the partitions using the Disk Manager utility in Windows 7 (I thought that I can resize the other one to the unallocated space using the 'expand' functionality), and later also tried EASEUS Partition Master. Both seem to have trouble with the first step, which is reduction of the space on the first partition (700 GB -> 250 GB), as both programs simply get stuck. (I let it run for 4 hours before giving up). I also tried runnig checkdisk to see if some sectors of the partition are not damaged, but it didn't help. I would really appreciate any hint as to how to solve this problem, or a recommendation about which alternative software to try. Thank you.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 Jan 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

I use Partition Wizard
Free Download Partition Wizard

Can you post a screenshot of your disk management?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2010   #3

Windows 7
 
 

I will try the Partition Wizard, thank you. Here is the screen shot.

I want to enlarge the partition Ext2 (I: drive) by first shrinking the size of the partition External (H: drive).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


31 Jan 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Watto86 View Post
I will try the Partition Wizard, thank you. Here is the screen shot.

I want to enlarge the partition Ext2 (I: drive) by first shrinking the size of the partition External (H: drive).
As far as i can remember ( im 99% sure) you can only expan to the right,so H will have to be on the right.
Also,when using Partition Wizard,after each task, always click apply for it to take effect.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2010   #5

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Minotar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Watto86 View Post
I will try the Partition Wizard, thank you. Here is the screen shot.

I want to enlarge the partition Ext2 (I: drive) by first shrinking the size of the partition External (H: drive).
As far as i can remember ( im 99% sure) you can only expan to the right,so H will have to be on the right.
Also,when using Partition Wizard,after each task, always click apply for it to take effect.
Yes, I now know that the Disc Management utility can't do what I need, but I expected it to at least shrink the H: partition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Watto86 View Post
Yes, I now know that the Disc Management utility can't do what I need, but I expected it to at least shrink the H: partition.
It should but sometimes any program can throw up certain problems.
Did PW work for you?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2010   #7

Windows 7
 
 

Yes, it did. Thank you very much!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2010   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Watto86 View Post
Yes, it did. Thank you very much!
Great
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Resizing a partition on an external hard drive





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Resizing a partition on an external hard drive
Thread Forum
Solved How to merge partition and use the OEM reserved on External Hard Drive Hardware & Devices
Backing up to External Hard drive - do i need to partition? Backup and Restore
partition external hard drive Hardware & Devices
External Hard Drive - set password for a partition Hardware & Devices
2.5 TB External Hard Drive Partition Hardware & Devices
External Hard drive cannot shrink volume to partition General Discussion
Can I create a partition in a (used) external hard drive? Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33