Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Downgrade to XP

07 Feb 2010   #1
rbp36

Windows 7
 
 
Downgrade to XP

I purchased XP upgrade a few years ago to upgrade my old computer. Since then I have purchased a new computer with Vista installed and a free upgrade to 7 when it became available. I have upgraded to 7 and really don't like it much better than Vista. Is it possible to use my XP upgrade disc to downgrade my new computer?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2010   #2
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Probably not. You will need a proper XP license. But besides that you will most likely not be able to locate the XP drivers for your new box. XP is expired. I would stay with Win7. It is so much more superior to XP - why look back.
What are your specific problems. Maybe we can help to sort them out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2010   #3
UrbanBounca

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Probably not. You will need a proper XP license. But besides that you will most likely not be able to locate the XP drivers for your new box. XP is expired. I would stay with Win7. It is so much more superior to XP - why look back.
What are your specific problems. Maybe we can help to sort them out.
XP is expired, huh? Microsoft has stated they'll continue supporting XP until 2014. You shouldn't have any problem finding XP drivers. XP is still widely supported.

To the OP, if you have an OEM Windows XP installation disc, you shouldn't have a problem booting it on startup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2010   #4
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UrbanBounca View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Probably not. You will need a proper XP license. But besides that you will most likely not be able to locate the XP drivers for your new box. XP is expired. I would stay with Win7. It is so much more superior to XP - why look back.
What are your specific problems. Maybe we can help to sort them out.
XP is expired, huh? Microsoft has stated they'll continue supporting XP until 2014. You shouldn't have any problem finding XP drivers. XP is still widely supported.

To the OP, if you have an OEM Windows XP installation disc, you shouldn't have a problem booting it on startup.
I don't know what you are trying to tell the OP. He has an upgrade disk - not a full installation disk. And finding the drivers will be a problem - believe me. The fact that MS will (somehow) support it until whenever does not mean that component manufacturers go thru the trouble producing drivers for an OS with which they make no new business at all.
I suggest you get the OP's specs and find the drivers for him - then we'll talk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2010   #5
Shishakli

Windows 7/2008
 
 

Well you're both wrong. (Actually UrbanBounca might be right about Microsoft's statement but it doesn't help the OP anyway)

It is possible to install XP with your upgrade CD... IF you have 98/95 installed (or whatever you had when you bought the CD) on it first. I bet that's going to be painful to make work anyway...

However... Vista and Windows 7 both have downgrade rights (under most circumstances) to Windows XP. I think you're covered for good with Vista, but Windows 7's downgrade rights expire sometime in 2011. But since you bought Vista with the machine that's not your problem

I would suggest downloading a Windows XP OEM iso via torrent, or get a copy off a friend. If you're worried about the legal issue, you're permitted to have copies of Microsoft software for backup purposes according to the licence. SInce you're licenced, you're covered.

Here's the references
Understanding Downgrade Rights

As for drivers... I'd be very surprised if any hardware purchased prior to Feb 2010 does not have Windows XP drivers. Beyond Feb... I couldn't say... but reallly.... Hard to find XP drivers? For ISA cards maybe....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2010   #6
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Yeah, without a doubt driver support for XP can be difficult. We have had machines come into the office at work running Vista and have had a hard time getting everything working under XP. Drivers are not always available. Fortunately, I'm a fan of Windows 7...so I don't have any solid reasons to stay with XP on much.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2010   #7
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

whs,

Quote:
I suggest you get the OP's specs and find the drivers for him - then we'll talk.
That would be a bit difficult to do, since he didn't put his specs in his profile. The fact that he said that he bought a new computer since the XP one doesn't necessarily mean that the machine wouldn't support XP, but that is not actually known at the moment.

I never had an XP upgrade disk, only an OEM of the retail version, and it came with a license key, didn't the upgrade version?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2010   #8
TheTemplai

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I just think you are being stupid, do you really think XP is better than 7? Come dude ..
Anyway, this is what I call a downgrade, good work
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2010   #9
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheTemplai View Post
I just think you are being stupid, do you really think XP is better than 7? Come dude ..
Anyway, this is what I call a downgrade, good work
If he upgraded Vista to W7, instead of doing a clean install, he might be having enough problems to think that XP is better. In any case, a person is not stupid when they use their own judgement as the final measure, even if that judgement is based on a lack of information.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2010   #10
floralelephants

Windows 7-Home Premium
 
 

Actually, if you read the downgrade rights you will notice at the bottom of the screen that only Windows 7 Ultimate and Professional have downgrade rights. For some reason, Home Basic and Home Premium do not... strange.

I'm loving 7... I use XP at work and finding it really annoying. I didn't notice it when both my home computers had Vista, but now I wish we would upgrade to 7 at work. There are times when I lose track at work and try to do something that XP can't do. I would play around with 7 for a while before you try downgrading. And if you have issues, there's a lot of great threads to help. Just my 2 cents.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Downgrade to XP




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Downgrade to XP
Thread Forum
How to downgrade from IE9 to IE8? Browsers & Mail
Trying To Downgrade To XP Installation & Setup
Downgrade Installation & Setup
How can i downgrade to xp? General Discussion
downgrade from RC Installation & Setup
64 to 32 bit downgrade General Discussion
Downgrade ? Drivers

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App