Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to hide folders from other user accounts?

11 Feb 2010   #11
simorio69

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by simorio69 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
This can be achieved by the use of permissions but will take a little work - I would also add that the default permissions of an administrator level account (even in win7 with UAC on), does not adapt well to this.

I would recommend that you set this up in standard user accounts and keep at least one admin account to control things.

create your Standard level accounts

log in as admin account and in the properties - security tab on the folders you wish to be private remove all users except the user who needs access and the administrators, (also leave any other system related users for safety).

You will need to remove catch-all groups such as everyone and Homeusers$ and specifically add the allowed user.

Rights may be assigned as required such as read, write, modify, etc. but I would advise you leave the ownership as is or manually set to administrators group.

once set-up any user that does not have specific rights assigned will not be able to access a folder.

This is the way that access is controlled on major network systems so it is a proven system, although with major systems it is normal to assign users to groups and then assign the rights to a group

As I said it will take a little work and thought but it can provide total control of a shared system
I tried somethung with security, its quite complicated.. tnx i will try
I was trying to investigate all this few hours.I dont understand what the differences between system, administrator, users, authenticated users ? can I delete all except system?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Feb 2010   #12
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
 
 

Any folder with system or administrators in the permissions will need to retain these the "authenticated users" is a catch all for remote access users and "users" are local users you will need to remove the "users" and "Authenticated users" as these will contain all user id's that exist on the system by default.

Name:  permissions-data.PNG
Views: 102
Size:  60.4 KB

for example the everyone group on the screenshot attached would include all users and all authenticated users so to control the access this group would need to be removed. once this is done only the users you see with specific access would be able to see the file or folder

you have to be careful only to make these changes in data folders as if there is system content, (program files or DLLs (especially system files), then the results are likely to be unpredictable at best


My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2010   #13
simorio69

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
Any folder with system or administrators in the permissions will need to retain these the "authenticated users" is a catch all for remote access users and "users" are local users you will need to remove the "users" and "Authenticated users" as these will contain all user id's that exist on the system by default.

Attachment 53547

for example the everyone group on the screenshot attached would include all users and all authenticated users so to control the access this group would need to be removed. once this is done only the users you see with specific access would be able to see the file or folder

you have to be careful only to make these changes in data folders as if there is system content, (program files or DLLs (especially system files), then the results are likely to be unpredictable at best
Thanks for help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 May 2011   #14
bhvm

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
This can be achieved by the use of permissions but will take a little work - I would also add that the default permissions of an administrator level account (even in win7 with UAC on), does not adapt well to this.

I would recommend that you set this up in standard user accounts and keep at least one admin account to control things.

create your Standard level accounts

log in as admin account and in the properties - security tab on the folders you wish to be private remove all users except the user who needs access and the administrators, (also leave any other system related users for safety).

You will need to remove catch-all groups such as everyone and Homeusers$ and specifically add the allowed user.

Rights may be assigned as required such as read, write, modify, etc. but I would advise you leave the ownership as is or manually set to administrators group.

once set-up any user that does not have specific rights assigned will not be able to access a folder.

This is the way that access is controlled on major network systems so it is a proven system, although with major systems it is normal to assign users to groups and then assign the rights to a group

As I said it will take a little work and thought but it can provide total control of a shared system
There's no Thanks button on this forum, (May I suggest you to arrange one?)
I was looking after this high and low. your post really helped, Thanks!
Its very complicated, but works after practice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2011   #15
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bhvm View Post

There's no Thanks button on this forum, (May I suggest you to arrange one?)
There is a rep button - the silver scales, top right of a post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to hide folders from other user accounts?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Hide user by registry stange problem: User still appears in C folder
Hi! I did an new install of windows 7 (home first then upgraded to pro) I want to hide a user by doing this on the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows NT \CurrentVersion \Winlogon \SpecialAccounts\ UserList ..then add dword32 by my username value to 0 I did this on my old...
General Discussion
Corrupted names for accounts, users, folders, and user profiles
People: My Win7 Pro 64-bit machine has garbled names for accounts, users, folders, and user profiles. I have looked into my copy of "Windows 7 Inside and Out", by Bott, et al, but can't dope out what to do. I'd like to keep the log-on screen names and conform other names to them. In...
General Discussion
I want to hide specific drives for my non-admin accounts, how ?
I want to hide specific drives for my non-admin accounts , but at the same time those drives must be visible for my Admin win 7 account !! how ? I used advanced drive protector soft and little little others but they hide and lock drive for all users I want to make unique rules for...
General Discussion
Can't Hide Certain Folders in User Account Directory
Ones like Contacts, Downloads, Favourites, Links, etc... Anyone know how to do it?
General Discussion
User Accounts / Manage Accounts Blank
Hello I have been chasing up an answer to this problem for a couple of weeks now and have found a number of people with same symptoms but no answer which works. When I go to the User Accouns page the dialog box for the "Choose the Account you would like to change" is blank. I am an...
General Discussion
Make explorer hide folders or hide files?
In Win 7 64 bit explorer, can I make it show me only folders or only files? Another way of saying this: can I make it hide folders, or hide files?
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:24.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App