Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 Release Candidate TO>> Windows 7

25 Feb 2010   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Windows 7 Release Candidate TO>> Windows 7

Just wondering if i install windows 7 the full if it will keep all of my data that i currently have using the RC like it did when i had to reinstall my RC ive been holding out on the full but need to use it now and just was wondering if anyone knew the answer?

EDIT: This may need to be moved to installation and setup my appologies.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Feb 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition
 
 

well since it's already here... do you mean like performing an upgrade install from the rc version so that it will save your data win windows.old?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2010   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

If you perform and upgrade all of your programs etc will be saved; but not worth it. Do a clean install and reinstall your programs. Everything else can be backed up via Windows Easy Transfer, such as favorites, desktop, settings etc. It is suggested that you do back up on another medium, however, just in case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Feb 2010   #4

Windows 7
 
 

yeah i suppose thats what i mean but im not sure can you do an upgrade from Windows 7 RC to Windows 7 or would i just boot to the disc and do a normal install no erase
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2010   #5

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
If you perform and upgrade all of your programs etc will be saved; but not worth it. Do a clean install and reinstall your programs. Everything else can be backed up via Windows Easy Transfer, such as favorites, desktop, settings etc. It is suggested that you do back up on another medium, however, just in case.

I do not think that the upgrade option is available, but in any event, a clean install is always best
Hm i didnt even know about windows easy transfer that might be all i need as i can get a hold of an external drive and use that
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xCaptainCanadax View Post
yeah i suppose thats what i mean but im not sure can you do an upgrade from Windows 7 RC to Windows 7 or would i just boot to the disc and do a normal install no erase
i haven't done it but it seems like i've seen talk of it around here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2010   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xCaptainCanadax View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
If you perform and upgrade all of your programs etc will be saved; but not worth it. Do a clean install and reinstall your programs. Everything else can be backed up via Windows Easy Transfer, such as favorites, desktop, settings etc. It is suggested that you do back up on another medium, however, just in case.

I do not think that the upgrade option is available, but in any event, a clean install is always best
Hm i didnt even know about windows easy transfer that might be all i need as i can get a hold of an external drive and use that
Based upon my own use and those of other posters, WET will not transfer programs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2010   #8
Microsoft MVP

 

You can never restore Programs from a backup as they install to registry keys which will be new in a clean install. Save your program installers in the Downloads folder for this reason.

The easiest way to backup without wasted space and possible frustrations is to drag your active User file into the external root. This even gets hidden AppData files so you can copy over your settings, but I would not because this is a corruption path.

Yes, you can do an in-place Upgrade from RC to retail with a workaround, however your goal should be the cleanest possible install and in-place Upgrade is itself a corruption path. That others have raved about it is only because the RC was beta buggy and RTM is so much better to begin with.

Upgrade the Windows 7 RC to any retail version Icrontic Tech
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 Release Candidate TO>> Windows 7




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33