Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Purchasing Windows 7 from a different country


01 Mar 2010   #1

Windows Vista
 
 
Purchasing Windows 7 from a different country

Over here in Australia, we're getting charged $299 for a full version of Windows home premium, whereas in the United States, it's only $199 (often cheaper).

My question is, will the license key and everything else work as normal if I installed Windows 7 purchased from the United States? Or are there any foreseeable problems?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Mar 2010   #2
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

There should be no problems. I have use US versions in Germany and never had a problem. The cheapest Home Premium in the US is the OEM version which I use for US$105.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116752&cm_re=windows7_oem-_-32-116-752-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754&cm_re=windows7_oem-_-32-116-754-_-Product
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2010   #3
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello Nix Wanning, welcome to Seven Forums!


You can do a clean install with an upgrade Windows 7, tutorial at the link below; just remember that an OEM version will be forever tied to the first motherboard that it's installed on and can not be moved to another PC.

Upgrade Install with Windows 7


Newegg will not ship to Aus.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Mar 2010   #4

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

whs,

Being that those are OEM versions, I wouldn't recommend them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2010   #5
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
whs,

Being that those are OEM versions, I wouldn't recommend them.
Why not. They work great for me. And I don't want to move them to another system because I buy one for each system where I want Windows 7 (except on my wife's 3 systems because she prefers Vista).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2010   #6

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
whs,

Being that those are OEM versions, I wouldn't recommend them.
Why not. They work great for me. And I don't want to move them to another system because I buy one for each system where I want Windows 7 (except on my wife's 3 systems because she prefers Vista).
I almost never buy a new computer, I simply upgrade what I have on a continous basis. It is not entirely clear to me exactly what components of the system that the OEM is installed on are tracked, but I'm sure that it tracks the motherboard, and I do not want to be forced to buy the OS again, simply because I have upgraded the motherboard, or any other component that it may track.

Even if I were to start from scratch, and build a new computer, I would not want to be forced to buy the OS again, assuming that the previous installation was eliminated, and it was only installed on one active computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2010   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nix Wanning View Post
Over here in Australia, we're getting charged $299 for a full version of Windows home premium, whereas in the United States, it's only $199 (often cheaper).

My question is, will the license key and everything else work as normal if I installed Windows 7 purchased from the United States? Or are there any foreseeable problems?

This thread might be of interest to you,
http://www.sevenforums.com/installat...r-country.html
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2010   #8
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
whs,

Being that those are OEM versions, I wouldn't recommend them.
Why not. They work great for me. And I don't want to move them to another system because I buy one for each system where I want Windows 7 (except on my wife's 3 systems because she prefers Vista).
I almost never buy a new computer, I simply upgrade what I have on a continous basis. It is not entirely clear to me exactly what components of the system that the OEM is installed on are tracked, but I'm sure that it tracks the motherboard, and I do not want to be forced to buy the OS again, simply because I have upgraded the motherboard, or any other component that it may track.

Even if I were to start from scratch, and build a new computer, I would not want to be forced to buy the OS again, assuming that the previous installation was eliminated, and it was only installed on one active computer.
I guess, if you build systems all the time yourself, that is a different case. But you spend an awful lot more money up front for that "may be" option. I just take it as it comes.

PS: Did you notice that you are due for the gold badge - congratulations.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Microsoft takes the 25 product key, mixes it with a 25 hardware key from your system and uses that as authentication. I'll always get OEM copies if possible, and when my system gets too old, it gets chucked and a new one built.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2010   #10

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

whs,

Quote:
PS: Did you notice that you are due for the gold badge - congratulations.
Yes, thanks. I thought that it would appear automatically at the last post, but maybe an admin has to add it, I don't know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Purchasing Windows 7 from a different country




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Purchasing Windows 7 from a different country
Thread Forum
Purchasing help. Graphic Cards
My Windows 7 Rig Has a Country Twang General Discussion
Need help purchasing Installation & Setup
[Help] Purchasing new PC Hardware & Devices
Solved Windows 7 Validation Country General Discussion
Windows 7 OEM Product ID's - Country/Continent Specific ? Windows Updates & Activation
Microsoft Considering Country Specific Editions Of Windows 7 News

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33