Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: deleting folders


15 Mar 2010   #1

vista home premium
 
 
deleting folders

I have 2 windows backup folder and I want to delete one of them (i.e. windows.old). I get the message "this folder is no located on c:\" How do I get rid of it??

Thanks!

Eddie

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Mar 2010   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium - always up to date
 
 

Try navigating to it with the command prompt running as administrator and delete it. If that won't work, boot from another source and locate it. I use Ubuntu for that. The version I use has all sorts of useful utilities too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Mar 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Hi Edicus,


Some thoughts:
  • What are the steps leading up to the error message? e.g. are you navigating to the folder and can see it in explorer and then trying to delete, are you using a third party deletion program etc?
  • If you can see the folder, then please run a checkdisk on your drive to remove any drive corruption.
  • Also please check that you have permissions to delete it.
If you need any steps to complete the above, then I'd be happy to post those up as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Mar 2010   #4

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Run the Clean Up Disk from windows and it will delete the Windows.Old for you.

Or

Run it from an elevated Command Prompt: cleanmgr.exe
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2010   #5

Windows 7 - Vista
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2010   #6

vista home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TimStitt View Post
Hi Edicus,


Some thoughts:
  • What are the steps leading up to the error message? e.g. are you navigating to the folder and can see it in explorer and then trying to delete, are you using a third party deletion program etc?
  • If you can see the folder, then please run a checkdisk on your drive to remove any drive corruption.
  • Also please check that you have permissions to delete it.
If you need any steps to complete the above, then I'd be happy to post those up as well.
Thanks for the help to you and everyone else.

I am using Windows Explorer to navigate to the folder and trying to delete it from there. I'll try the other suggestions from this thread and see which works. And I did a check disk recently, so that might not be it - I'll run it again, though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2010   #7

vista home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RknRusty View Post
Try navigating to it with the command prompt running as administrator and delete it. If that won't work, boot from another source and locate it. I use Ubuntu for that. The version I use has all sorts of useful utilities too.
From command prompt I get a message the directory is not empty. I did "del *.*" from Windows.old.000/users but when I went back to the folder and went to remove the Users folder I again got a message it is not empty.

I ran disk cleanup and checked "remove old windows installation" and that did not work either.


<sigh>
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2010   #8

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Open an elevated command prompt and type the following in order; I am going to assume the directory name is Windows.old.000 from the above postings. Please change the name as needed.

Note: This will delete the folder and there is NO quick recovery if you type the wrong directory name in, so please be extremely careful. Create a restore point if you want to have a backup.

Code:
takeown /F Windows.old.000 /R /A
attrib -r -s -h Windows.old.000\*.* /s /d
rd Windows.old.000 /s /q
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

right click and select properties, that should tell you where it is. How many partitions do you have ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2010   #10

vista home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Open an elevated command prompt and type the following in order; I am going to assume the directory name is Windows.old.000 from the above postings. Please change the name as needed.

Note: This will delete the folder and there is NO quick recovery if you type the wrong directory name in, so please be extremely careful. Create a restore point if you want to have a backup.

Code:
takeown /F Windows.old.000 /R /A
attrib -r -s -h Windows.old.000\*.* /s /d
rd Windows.old.000 /s /q
Worked! Thanks so much. Command prompts make me miss the days of DOS!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 deleting folders




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: deleting folders
Thread Forum
Solved Deleting protected folders System Security
Solved Deleting folders in Win 7 64-bit General Discussion
Solved Deleting Folders & Sub-Folders Under Favorites Browsers & Mail
Folders Not Deleting General Discussion
Problems deleting files/folders Software
deleting undeletable folders/files. General Discussion
Unable of deleting certain folders.. General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33