Quote: Originally Posted by newbie87
when i was starting up my laptop i got this message.... " Error occured: Canot registry tray icon. Error:1008 (An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist.) " could anyone explain this?
Does this message come up everytime you startup? It is likely an incompatible program that is trying to place an icon in the notification area.
The first thing to do would be to run a full virus/malware scan to eliminate that possibility.
If a virus scan turns up nothing, or the message continues, then you can use the MSCONFIG tool to figure out which program is causing this error:
- Press the <WINDOWS_KEY>+<R> key combination
- In the run box, type "MSCONFIG" (without quotes), and press <ENTER>. You might have to respond to a UAC prompt.
- In the Startup tab of MSCONFIG, clear the checkmarks for everything except you anti-virus, then click OK
- Allow MSCONFIG to reboot the computer.
- If the message has gone away, then one of the items you disabled is the cause. Run MSCONFIG again, and enable each item one at a time, rebooting each time. If the message comes back, then the last one you re-enabled is the culprit. Enable everything else except that one.