Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Multiple partitions?


06 Apr 2010   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
Multiple partitions?

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased an Asus Desktop PC with Windows 7 and I've realized that the computer came with two partitions - Drive C and Drive D.

Drive C - 372GB with all of Windows and my data stored on it.
Drive D - 550GB and is nearly empty.

I am wondering what the reasoning for this is, what the benefit is, if I should keep it and how it should be used?

If anyone can shed some light on this for me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Apr 2010   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

That drive is reserved for backup. Probably reserved for system image and restore points.
Keep it one day you will have a problem and you will be glad that you did.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2010   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Here is a recent thread with the same question.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...partition.html
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Apr 2010   #4
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello ahstanford, welcome to Seven Forums!



In the start menu right click computer, manage, disk management, post a snip of disk management so we can see it.

A Preferred Method of Uploading/Posting Screen Shots
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2010   #5
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Did you ever open D to see what's in it. It is too big for the traditional recovery partition. Also, if you look a Disk Management as BFK suggests, you may even find a 3d partition that is only 100MB.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2010   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Here is a recent thread with the same question.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...partition.html
Bill's post over there was very helpful, thanks!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello ahstanford, welcome to Seven Forums!

In the start menu right click computer, manage, disk management, post a snip of disk management so we can see it.

A Preferred Method of Uploading/Posting Screen Shots
http://www.alexstanford.com/partss.jpg

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Did you ever open D to see what's in it. It is too big for the traditional recovery partition. Also, if you look a Disk Management as BFK suggests, you may even find a 3d partition that is only 100MB.
Yeah, the link to the Disk Management screenshot is above, and it does seem to show a smaller third partition of 8GB.

It is showing 931.51GB total HDD size, but I thought it came with 640GB or 750GB. Weird.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2010   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Glad that I was able to help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2010   #8
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello again ahstanford.



Use D: to store all the data you don't want to lose so if/when you need to reformat and reinstall C: you don't have a potential loss of date; as a wise old indian once told me, NEVER store anything on C: you can't afford to lose; get in the habit now of making regular backups.


BTW, never molest the recovery partition in any way.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2010   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello again ahstanford.



Use D: to store all the data you don't want to lose so if/when you need to reformat and reinstall C: you don't have a potential loss of date; as a wise old indian once told me, NEVER store anything on C: you can't afford to lose;
What is that little 8GB partition used for?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
get in the habit now of making regular backups.
How do I go about that?

Don't I need a second HDD for the backups?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2010   #10
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ahstanford View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello again ahstanford.



Use D: to store all the data you don't want to lose so if/when you need to reformat and reinstall C: you don't have a potential loss of date; as a wise old indian once told me, NEVER store anything on C: you can't afford to lose;
What is that little 8GB partition used for?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
get in the habit now of making regular backups.
How do I go about that?

Don't I need a second HDD for the backups?

The "little partition" is the recovery partition and will be needed if you ever have to do a "Factory Recovery" of the OS.

The other partition is the place to use as storage; have a look at the tutorial at the link below.

Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Multiple partitions?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Multiple partitions?
Thread Forum
W7 Pro multiple existing partitions Installation & Setup
Solved multiple data partitions or just folders? Performance & Maintenance
Creating multiple partitions on an SSD Hardware & Devices
Backing up a HD with multiple partitions and Operating Systems. Backup and Restore
multiple partitions on usb harddisk Hardware & Devices
Multiple WIN 7 OS linked to sealed off partitions!? General Discussion
USB Drive + Multiple Partitions Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33