Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: CMOS Settings Wrong


08 Apr 2010   #1

Windows 7 64-bit OEM
 
 
CMOS Settings Wrong

Sigh, back for another problem.

PC is about 2 months old now. About 2 weeks ago I started receiving an error
message while booting up. Very shortly after I boot up the PC, I receive a black
screen that points to "CMOS Settings Wrong" "Date/Time not set".

Press F1 to run SETUP, Press F2 to load default values and continue. Or something like that. At first I just pressed F2, it booted up normally, except my date and time were wrong. Went ahead and fixed it, np. A few days and some restarts later (doesn't do it during EVERY restart, but definitely some), I boot up and get the same message. This time I hit F1 and put in the correct date and time. I hit the save hotkey and it boots up normally with the time and date I just entered, np.

Basically, same problem, a few restarts or so days later, same thing all over again, regardless of if I F2 or F1. Most of them were normal restarts, nothing strange, although this time I was playing CoD: MW2 when the game froze up/sound skipping, so I turned the PC off, tried to turn the PC back on, and nothing... I know the mobo had power, the mobo light was on. Although pushing the power button did nothing.. I turned off the back power switch, replugged the power plug, turned the power switch back on, the mobo light lit back up, pushed the power button on the front, nothing... Tried this for a lil while with no luck. Ended up going to watch some TV, then I heard the boot sound and it had booted back up.

Whats the deal? I heard somewhere it might be a bad BIOS battery? Possibly dying on me? After a quick glimpse I couldn't find anything that resembled one on the mobo, but it's a bit late/dark and I might have missed it.

This is a desktop. Plenty of cooling, and never overclocked. Only thing that was done to the PC was took out a bad ram stick a few weeks or so ago.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Apr 2010   #2
ryo

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Deathgazer View Post
Sigh, back for another problem.

PC is about 2 months old now. About 2 weeks ago I started receiving an error
message while booting up. Very shortly after I boot up the PC, I receive a black
screen that points to "CMOS Settings Wrong" "Date/Time not set".

Press F1 to run SETUP, Press F2 to load default values and continue. Or something like that. At first I just pressed F2, it booted up normally, except my date and time were wrong. Went ahead and fixed it, np. A few days and some restarts later (doesn't do it during EVERY restart, but definitely some), I boot up and get the same message. This time I hit F1 and put in the correct date and time. I hit the save hotkey and it boots up normally with the time and date I just entered, np.

Basically, same problem, a few restarts or so days later, same thing all over again, regardless of if I F2 or F1. Most of them were normal restarts, nothing strange, although this time I was playing CoD: MW2 when the game froze up/sound skipping, so I turned the PC off, tried to turn the PC back on, and nothing... I know the mobo had power, the mobo light was on. Although pushing the power button did nothing.. I turned off the back power switch, replugged the power plug, turned the power switch back on, the mobo light lit back up, pushed the power button on the front, nothing... Tried this for a lil while with no luck. Ended up going to watch some TV, then I heard the boot sound and it had booted back up.

Whats the deal? I heard somewhere it might be a bad BIOS battery? Possibly dying on me? After a quick glimpse I couldn't find anything that resembled one on the mobo, but it's a bit late/dark and I might have missed it.

This is a desktop. Plenty of cooling, and never overclocked. Only thing that was done to the PC was took out a bad ram stick a few weeks or so ago.
your battery CMOS is low.. you have to change new one of it..and after that change the setting data/time on BIOS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)
 
 

Do we have this right, the PC is 2 months old and you have alredy replaced one stick of ram...

Your specs say the manufacturer is Velocity Micro. From your post it appears to be a mobo problem, so have you contacted Velocity?

Did they replace the bad ram or did you purchase else ware?

They should be your first course of action...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


09 Apr 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

It is silver and about the size of a dime. Can`t believe a 2 month old pc needs a new cmos battery but it does sound like the culprit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2010   #5

Windows 7 64-bit OEM
 
 

Ah thanks, was hoping to narrow down the problem before I let Velocity Micro know. And yeah... it's still pretty new and they've already had to send me a new stick of ram to replace the bad one. And now this. I think this started happening around the same day or right after I took out the bad stick of ram. (didn't get the new stick till a few weeks later)

Aside from the hardware issues it's a good PC. Thanks for the info, 'hopefully' it will be an easy fix.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Deathgazer View Post
...Aside from the hardware issues it's a good PC. Thanks for the info, 'hopefully' it will be an easy fix.
Interesting post... They provided the hardware, yet aside from the hardware issues it's a "Good PC"...

Good luck with this...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2010   #7

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

Battery on MB looks similar to this pic ! A very common battery ID # is 2032


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2010   #8
ryo

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Battery on MB looks similar to this pic ! A very common battery ID # is 2032
what socket is it??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2010   #9

Windows 7 64-bit OEM
 
 

Was looking at my mobo - Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

And from the looks of it, I couldn't find it cause its gotta be hiding underneath this brick of a graphics card.
Well at least now I know where it's at, thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2010   #10

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ryo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Battery on MB looks similar to this pic ! A very common battery ID # is 2032
what socket is it??

Good question ryo ?


Deathgazer can you run CPU-Z Freeware program to check you MB socket & CPU ?


Attached Images
 
Attached Files
File Type: zip cpuz_151.zip (616.0 KB, 286 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 CMOS Settings Wrong




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: CMOS Settings Wrong
Thread Forum
CMOS Bad Checksum General Discussion
Connecting Laptop to TV using HDMI? Settings wrong.. how to fix? Graphic Cards
Random BSOD and programs crash, Ram settings wrong BSOD Help and Support
How do I reset my CMOS ? General Discussion
What's wrong with my connection or settings? Network & Sharing
I think I blew my jbl desktop speakers,wrong audio settings? Sound & Audio
CMOS Error Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33