Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate E or N Edition

10 Apr 2010   #1
ekopaxus

Win7
 
 
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate E or N Edition

Hi,

Can someone explain what is a "E or N" Edition of Windows 7?

Many thanks in advance.


Regards


My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2010   #2
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Windows 7 E and N Variants

One major Diff E does not have IE8 installed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2010   #3
ekopaxus

Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Windows 7 E and N Variants

One major Diff E does not have IE8 installed.
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

What about the N Edition?

Thanks again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2010   #4
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

N does not have windows media player installed by default, nor IE8.

Just so we understand each other, this is for Europe. Its an EU antitrust thing. In USA, it is sold with IE 8.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2010   #5
ekopaxus

Win7
 
 

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and explanation.


Regards,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2010   #6
not so gray matter

W7 Ult. x64 | OS X
 
 

Oh wow, I wish I had bought the version w/out IE8 & WMP. The only reason I would ever have to use IE8 is if I wanted to view things within Steam. For some reason, that thing uses IE8 so I've got to install plug-ins and such if I want to view and purchase programs through it.

Enough of my ranting, good night.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2010   #7
logicearth

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by notsograymatter View Post
Oh wow, I wish I had bought the version w/out IE8 & WMP. The only reason I would ever have to use IE8 is if I wanted to view things within Steam. For some reason, that thing uses IE8 so I've got to install plug-ins and such if I want to view and purchase programs through it.

Enough of my ranting, good night.
No one in there right mind buys the N or E editions. They cost as much as the regular editions and pretty much every application is broken forcing you to install IE and WMP anyways. Just launch "Turn Windows features on or off" and deselect IE and Media Features. Done deal. Steam should not be broken using the supported method of removing IE.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2010   #8
manhunter2826

Windows XP - Now Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by notsograymatter View Post
Oh wow, I wish I had bought the version w/out IE8 & WMP. The only reason I would ever have to use IE8 is if I wanted to view things within Steam. For some reason, that thing uses IE8 so I've got to install plug-ins and such if I want to view and purchase programs through it.

Enough of my ranting, good night.
No one in there right mind buys the N or E editions. They cost as much as the regular editions and pretty much every application is broken forcing you to install IE and WMP anyways. Just launch "Turn Windows features on or off" and deselect IE and Media Features. Done deal. Steam should not be broken using the supported method of removing IE.
thanks for that, very useful. does turning off/disabling a feature uninstall it also -- can one re-enable if necessary? thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2010   #9
logicearth

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by manhunter2826 View Post
thanks for that, very useful. does turning off/disabling a feature uninstall it also -- can one re-enable if necessary? thanks.
You can re-enable, yes. As for uninstalling, it removes the parts that are not used by third-party applications. For example a lot of applications use the HTML rendering engine of IE. Trident (IE's HTML rendering engine) stays in place so these applications continue to work. But the actual interface that makes IE...well IE is removed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2010   #10
manhunter2826

Windows XP - Now Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).
 
 

^thanks logic .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate E or N Edition




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App