Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 wont boot without external DVD drive attached


12 Apr 2010   #1

windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 
Windows 7 wont boot without external DVD drive attached

I have an Acer Revo and installed my free Windows 7 upgrade disc one week ago with an external DVD drive. The install went swimmingly and no problems were apparent.

I removed my Samsung external DVD drive when finished and all was well. However, when I turned on the Revo the next day, Windows 7 would only get as far as the splash screen and then hung with a blank screen.

If I space bar, the cursor works, I get a blue windows screen (at a diff aspect ratio to the screen) and right click works which gives me some options (but nothing that allows me to kick start the process). There are no user options and no desktop items. I have checked that view is set correctly etc.

I have tried Ctrl Alt Del which just kills the blue screen and mouse/cursor movement.

My only option at this point is to hard shutdown.

HOWEVER, if I plug in the external DVD drive, it will boot normally and work fine.

I have entered te BIOS and changed the order of boot, to no avail.

It will also revert to this dormant screen if it goes into sleep mode.

My work around has been to set sleep to NEVER and keep the external plugged in, but that defeats the object of buying the REVO.

I have searched the internet for a solution, but so far, no luck.

I tried updating the NVIDIA driver but that would not install properly.

Any ideas anyone? Please???

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Apr 2010   #2

 
 

*Have you thought of disabling the drive in the BIOS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2010   #3

windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by motc7 View Post
*Have you thought of disabling the drive in the BIOS?
I've thought of it! But I'm wary of messing around in the BIOS too much lest I bugger things up completely! I'll do it if someone can say categorically it would work!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


12 Apr 2010   #4

Win7 Home Premium 64x
 
 

Yes I would not do that yet either, it probably is the fix you need, but better safe than sorry.

First post back with the BIOS boot sequence this will say, as Motc7 is saying, what is booted first. It is probably recognizing the D: as the first boot location. You can move the C: to the first boot location instead of disabling the external D:, but post the list here first. Also, can you fill in the system specs and when in the BIOS look for the BIOS make and version and post that here as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2010   #5

windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thorsen View Post
Yes I would not do that yet either, it probably is the fix you need, but better safe than sorry.

First post back with the BIOS boot sequence this will say, as Motc7 is saying, what is booted first. It is probably recognizing the D: as the first boot location. You can move the C: to the first boot location instead of disabling the external D:, but post the list here first. Also, can you fill in the system specs and when in the BIOS look for the BIOS make and version and post that here as well.
Thank for your reply. Originally the boot order was 1) HD 2) DVD drive 3) USB device. I changed the order to 1) HD 2) USB device 3) DVD drive. This didn't help *weep*. The name of the drive i.e. C: or D: etc wasn't apparent. If this is separate to what I have changed could you let me know. Can I only find the BIOS make/model in set up mode?

Hold on, I have the box. It is an Acer Revo R3600, BIOS P01-A2. IS that any help?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2010   #6

windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Emma2302 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thorsen View Post
Yes I would not do that yet either, it probably is the fix you need, but better safe than sorry.

First post back with the BIOS boot sequence this will say, as Motc7 is saying, what is booted first. It is probably recognizing the D: as the first boot location. You can move the C: to the first boot location instead of disabling the external D:, but post the list here first. Also, can you fill in the system specs and when in the BIOS look for the BIOS make and version and post that here as well.
Thank for your reply. Originally the boot order was 1) HD 2) DVD drive 3) USB device. I changed the order to 1) HD 2) USB device 3) DVD drive. This didn't help *weep*. The name of the drive i.e. C: or D: etc wasn't apparent. If this is separate to what I have changed could you let me know. Can I only find the BIOS make/model in set up mode?

Hold on, I have the box. It is an Acer Revo R3600, BIOS P01-A2. IS that any help?
I have updated my spec to the best of my knowledge. Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2010   #7

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Emma,
Use MSINFO32 for information about your computer.
I've attached a copy of the startup display page from my laptop.


Attached Thumbnails
Windows 7 wont boot without external DVD drive attached-msinfo32bios.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2010   #8

Win7 Home Premium 64x
 
 

I will look for an answer that might help. until then I hope someone else joins in.

Is the external DVD going in through USB?


Edit: looking for correct answer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2010   #9

Win7 Home Premium 64x
 
 

You might want to look into this tutorial and see if you can do this:

Startup Repair
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2010   #10

windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thorsen View Post
I will look for an answer that might help. until then I hope someone else joins in.

Is the external DVD going in through USB?


Edit: looking for correct answer
Yes, external DVD via USB. Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 wont boot without external DVD drive attached




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for: Windows 7 wont boot without external DVD drive attached
Thread Forum
Can see drive wont boot windows 7 General Discussion
Startup Extremely Slow When External Hard Drive Attached Performance & Maintenance
Installed Windows 7 and now hard drive wont boot.... General Discussion
Can't boot if USB external drive attached Hardware & Devices
Windows 7 Wont Detect External DVD Drive Hardware & Devices
Windows 7 wont boot without external hard drive turned on? Installation & Setup
External Hard Drive attached by eSATA not detected Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33