Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Search Indexing

16 Apr 2010   #1
ahstanford

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
Search Indexing

I have disabled Search Indexing under folder options in control panel but I still have a process called "SearchIndexer.exe" using a decent amount of resources - what should I do?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Apr 2010   #2
pezzonovante

Windows 7 RTM x86
 
 

Why someone in his right mind would want to disable search indexing is beyond me. Do you understand you are trying to disable the single most useful feature of Windows 7?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2010   #3
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ahstanford View Post
I have disabled Search Indexing under folder options in control panel but I still have a process called "SearchIndexer.exe" using a decent amount of resources - what should I do?
Services - Start or Disable

Control Panel -> Adminstrative tools -> Services -> Windows Search

Double click ... set to disabled... reboot.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 16
Size:  48.9 KB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


16 Apr 2010   #4
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pezzonovante View Post
Why someone in his right mind would want to disable search indexing is beyond me. Do you understand you are trying to disable the single most useful feature of Windows 7?
1) Because it thrashes hell out of the hard disk
2) Because it's a pointless waste of system resources
3) Because it's not a significant improvement in performance

Really... if you have a well organized fileing system and don't try to run your computer entirely by searching for stuff... it mostly gets in the way. Windows 2000, XP and Win7 have all included file indexing systems that are supposed to make searching a lot easier... I don't think I've used the in-machine file search tools in any of them more than a hadfull of times in over a decade.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2010   #5
pezzonovante

Windows 7 RTM x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pezzonovante View Post
Why someone in his right mind would want to disable search indexing is beyond me. Do you understand you are trying to disable the single most useful feature of Windows 7?
1) Because it thrashes hell out of the hard disk
2) Because it's a pointless waste of system resources
3) Because it's not a significant improvement in performance

Really... if you have a well organized fileing system and don't try to run your computer entirely by searching for stuff... it mostly gets in the way.
I have used search indexing for a long time and have never had any noticeable difference in performance.

And searching from the start menu makes it infinitely easier to do everything. I no longer have to remember file names and locations. All I need to do is to type anything at all that I remember about a particular document/music/video/program and within a fraction of a second the result appears. This is incredibly productive.

Using the Control Panel also becomes a pure delight with the Search feature. I think you have never used the search feature, that's why you don't understand its value.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2010   #6
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pezzonovante View Post
I have used search indexing for a long time and have never had any noticeable difference in performance.

And searching from the start menu makes it infinitely easier to do everything. I no longer have to remember file names and locations. All I need to do is to type anything at all that I remember about a particular document/music/video/program and within a fraction of a second the result appears. This is incredibly productive.

Using the Control Panel also becomes a pure delight with the Search feature. I think you have never used the search feature, that's why you don't understand its value.
Disabling the service does NOT disable the search bars in the start menu or Windows Explorer.... It only disables the indexing service itself.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2010   #7
bigtony

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I personally don't search for stuff much. i have all my stuff neatly organized where I want it and keep all important files on my attached external 1tb hard drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2010   #8
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigtony View Post
I personally don't search for stuff much. i have all my stuff neatly organized where I want it and keep all important files on my attached external 1tb hard drive.
So... no harm disabling the Windows Search Service.

If this solves your problem, you should click the red triangle in the top right of the message and let the Admins know it's fixed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2010   #9
pezzonovante

Windows 7 RTM x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pezzonovante View Post
I have used search indexing for a long time and have never had any noticeable difference in performance.

And searching from the start menu makes it infinitely easier to do everything. I no longer have to remember file names and locations. All I need to do is to type anything at all that I remember about a particular document/music/video/program and within a fraction of a second the result appears. This is incredibly productive.

Using the Control Panel also becomes a pure delight with the Search feature. I think you have never used the search feature, that's why you don't understand its value.
Disabling the service does NOT disable the search bars in the start menu or Windows Explorer.... It only disables the indexing service itself.
But disabling the index means you can no longer search for file contents within a fraction of a second, doesn't it? This will make the whole system far less useful, because then you have to remember file names which is impossible.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2010   #10
Brink
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 10
 
 

Hello Pezzonvante,

Searching is the same with indexing turned off except that Windows 7 will search through the entire drive instead of just through the index locations. This may take a tiny bit longer, but you will always have accurate and up to date search results since you do not have to wait for the index to update itself from any changes (ex: deleted file) made.

Search Options - Change or Restore
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Search Indexing




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Anyone turn off search indexing with new SSD?
I thought something was a little off with my performance and decided to just disable and re enable some things on my SSD. After re enabling the search indexing feature, performance was noticeably better and to my surprise the SSD benchmarks improved as well . Just was curious about this but...
Hardware & Devices
How do i turn off search indexing on one folder only
My download folder is being indexed when i open it. It is on drive E: not C: so i dont think its the windows indexing i think it might be a seperate switch somewhere as my other folders on E are not indexed. Its just a huge page to wait for this thing to get done indexing every time i open it. ...
General Discussion
How do I turn off indexing and allow search for all files?
When I do a search, I want Windows 7 to search all files in that folder recursively and return matches by filename and give me an option to search by text within those files (binary not optional obviously). I figured out how to turn off indexing but I can't make it search by all files and I'm...
Performance & Maintenance
Search Not Indexing Partitions
Whenever I buy a TV show or movie, I put them in the correct partition (T: for TV shows and M: for Movies), and rename them so I can easily search for them. For example, I've got the 1st episode of the 1st season of "Through The Wormhole" named as: Through The Wormhole S01 E01 I used to just...
General Discussion
Search Indexing problem
Hi everyone, Can you please help me figure out how to fix my "search bar" Sorry, I do not know the name of it but I included a picture. I just reformatted my laptop and now it does not work the way it did before. I used to type msconfig, device manager, and cmd.exe then "enter" and these...
General Discussion
Search Indexing
I take it Windows 7 doesn't have this feature and if it does can it be turned off? Just that when I turned it off in Vista I noticed a performace boost when booting up and loading up programs.
Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:03.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App