Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Thunder Struck


17 Apr 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate OEM 64 Bit
 
 
Thunder Struck

I am rather new to this so please bear with me. The other day while my wife and I were away from the house there was a thunder storm here that caused a power outage. Now my computer won't post. Sounds like a motherboard to me. What do you guys think?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Apr 2010   #2

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by axsyss View Post
I am rather new to this so please bear with me. The other day while my wife and I were away from the house there was a thunder storm here that caused a power outage. Now my computer won't post. Sounds like a motherboard to me. What do you guys think?
Probably the power supply.... A power surge from lightning will damage the AC side of a power supply a long time before it will damage a motherboard.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2010   #3

win 7 ultimate32bit, Win8.1pro wmc 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by axsyss View Post
I am rather new to this so please bear with me. The other day while my wife and I were away from the house there was a thunder storm here that caused a power outage. Now my computer won't post. Sounds like a motherboard to me. What do you guys think?
or maybe the psu , do you have access to another one you could try ?

it may be a good idea to invest in a surge protector
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Apr 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate OEM 64 Bit
 
 

Thanks for the quick return guys. Would the fans and hard drives still fire up?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2010   #5

win 7 ultimate32bit, Win8.1pro wmc 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by axsyss View Post
Thanks for the quick return guys. Would the fans and hard drives still fire up?
more than likely, it all depends on which of the rails have gone down ,try a diferent psu if at all possible ,you could also remove the cmos battery for 30 secs and allow the bios to default and see if it will boot
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate OEM 64 Bit
 
 

I do have another psu and will swap it in later to day. We have to get ready for sons baseball game will post results later. Thanks for making my first post on any forum easy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2010   #7

win 7 ultimate32bit, Win8.1pro wmc 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by axsyss View Post
I do have another psu and will swap it in later to day. We have to get ready for sons baseball game will post results later. Thanks for making my first post on any forum easy.
you're welcome ,post back anytime there's always someone available to assist you
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2010   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate OEM 64 Bit
 
 
Follow up

Thanks pebbly and CommonTater. I Reset bios installed different psu. First attempt was a no post. I then removed video card and tried again. To my surprise the thing posted. Reinstalled video card it posted again. Was feeling brave by then so I tried my original psu it posted and loaded windows. Thanks for push in the right direction.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2010   #9

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 8 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Great that you got it working.

I saw this thread too late, but in case it happens again...

Before you rip out the PSU, unplug the AC power cable at the back of the PSU for a few minutes and then plug it back in. Some PSU's have a resettable fuse in them which will only reset in the absence of voltage/current. Unplugging it for a little while resets it and you're good to go.

It's worth a try before you start pulling things apart.

And like pebbly said, think about investing in a good surge protector.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Apr 2010   #10

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by axsyss View Post
Thanks pebbly and CommonTater. I Reset bios installed different psu. First attempt was a no post. I then removed video card and tried again. To my surprise the thing posted. Reinstalled video card it posted again. Was feeling brave by then so I tried my original psu it posted and loaded windows. Thanks for push in the right direction.
When crap like this happens, as a rule of thumb, I do what the poster above me states. Disconnect everything, and I also take another step to reseat cards. You just never know!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Thunder Struck




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Thunder Struck
Thread Forum
Solved Since thunder storm im am getting multiple BSOD all with 0x000000F4 BSOD Help and Support
hydro thunder hurricane windows 7 General Discussion
Struck by Live Security platinum System Security
Twice BSOD struck in 3 days NETIO.sys BSOD Help and Support
Solved Just installed Windows 7, struck on Generic VGA Graphics Adaptor. Graphic Cards
Thunder Flies Chillout Room
Lightning struck my comp, what to do? Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33