Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Random Wake-Up


30 Apr 2010   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Random Wake-Up

I've recently bought a Toshiba Satellite A500 with Windows 7 on it, and I'm having some issues with it waking up randomly. I will usually shut my computer down before I go to bed, but by the time I get up in the morning it has turned itself on and put itself into sleep mode.
Often times when I turn it on after this, the batter will have lost 10-20%, and today I just left it when I left my house this morning and when I got home it was completely dead.
So it seems that I have no way of keeping the battery charged for more than a day.
I have no idea what is causing this, and I have found a couple of other cases online where people were having this problem.
Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Apr 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

By any chance is it waking up at 8:20am?

Are you 100% positive the machine is completely shutting down and not suspending or hibernating? I know it's a stupid question but the simplest stuff is overlooked the most.

If you are 100% sure, restart your machine and enter the BIOS [F2, I believe]

Find the entry for USB SLEEP AND CHARGE and disable it.

That should fix it.

If it doesn't, check the Toshiba Web site for your specific A500 model and get the latest BIOS update [the latest should be 1.50]

If that STILL doesn't work, reset your BIOS to default settings and restart.

[reference: http://forums.computers.toshiba-euro...t=30&tstart=0]

Still stuck? let me know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2010   #3

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pafao View Post
I've recently bought a Toshiba Satellite A500 with Windows 7 on it, and I'm having some issues with it waking up randomly. I will usually shut my computer down before I go to bed, but by the time I get up in the morning it has turned itself on and put itself into sleep mode.
Often times when I turn it on after this, the batter will have lost 10-20%, and today I just left it when I left my house this morning and when I got home it was completely dead.
So it seems that I have no way of keeping the battery charged for more than a day.
I have no idea what is causing this, and I have found a couple of other cases online where people were having this problem.
Thanks
I was and still am having this issue. There is another thread on the forum that we talked about this. I will see if I can quickly find it.

Edit: Here it is: Networking question....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Apr 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pafao View Post
I've recently bought a Toshiba Satellite A500 with Windows 7 on it, and I'm having some issues with it waking up randomly. I will usually shut my computer down before I go to bed, but by the time I get up in the morning it has turned itself on and put itself into sleep mode.
Often times when I turn it on after this, the batter will have lost 10-20%, and today I just left it when I left my house this morning and when I got home it was completely dead.
So it seems that I have no way of keeping the battery charged for more than a day.
I have no idea what is causing this, and I have found a couple of other cases online where people were having this problem.
Thanks
I was and still am having this issue. There is another thread on the forum that we talked about this. I will see if I can quickly find it.
Take a look at what I posted above.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2010   #5

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jelyman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pafao View Post
I've recently bought a Toshiba Satellite A500 with Windows 7 on it, and I'm having some issues with it waking up randomly. I will usually shut my computer down before I go to bed, but by the time I get up in the morning it has turned itself on and put itself into sleep mode.
Often times when I turn it on after this, the batter will have lost 10-20%, and today I just left it when I left my house this morning and when I got home it was completely dead.
So it seems that I have no way of keeping the battery charged for more than a day.
I have no idea what is causing this, and I have found a couple of other cases online where people were having this problem.
Thanks
I was and still am having this issue. There is another thread on the forum that we talked about this. I will see if I can quickly find it.
Take a look at what I posted above.
Not the problem I am having....Thanks

Take a look at this: Networking question....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 May 2010   #6

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jelyman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post

I was and still am having this issue. There is another thread on the forum that we talked about this. I will see if I can quickly find it.
Take a look at what I posted above.
Not the problem I am having....Thanks

Take a look at this: Networking question....
WindowsStar, it appears that you're having a different problem than mine. Your forum talks about waking up because of accessing folders on the LAN, mine just turns itself on from being powered off and then goes into sleep mode. Different issue entirely.

Jelyman, I am not 100% sure that I've been turning it completely off, but I am pretty sure. I set all of my different power settings to "shut down" when I pressed the power button, and have been shutting it down from the start menu's "shut down" button.
Now I tried your advice on the USB sleep and charge, and it seemed to work so far, it was still off this morning! Although when I shut down last night, I powered up again to go to the bios, then made the switch, but then I didn't boot into windows again, so that maaay have something to do with it, I'll keep you updated though. Thanks for your help!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 May 2010   #7

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

What happens here are my Windows 7 machines turn ON randomly for no reason at all. They do it at night or in the middle of the day. Even when people are not using any computers at all, so I assume this is not an accessing shared folders issue. One time (1:00am while everyone was asleep) I saw computer turn on and I watched it completely boot up, I powered it off waited 15 minutes and it powered back on all by itself. It did this 5 times and then stopped. At any point the only shared folders we have are on the server that are shared with all computers. The server is on 24/7 and the workstations are turned on and off as needed. I never had this issue with Windows XP it only started when I converted the Windows XP machines to Windows 7. Clean loads with brand new hard drives. I Hope this helps in figuring this all out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 May 2010   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
What happens here are my Windows 7 machines turn ON randomly for no reason at all. They do it at night or in the middle of the day. Even when people are not using any computers at all, so I assume this is not an accessing shared folders issue. One time (1:00am while everyone was asleep) I saw computer turn on and I watched it completely boot up, I powered it off waited 15 minutes and it powered back on all by itself. It did this 5 times and then stopped. At any point the only shared folders we have are on the server that are shared with all computers. The server is on 24/7 and the workstations are turned on and off as needed. I never had this issue with Windows XP it only started when I converted the Windows XP machines to Windows 7. Clean loads with brand new hard drives. I Hope this helps in figuring this all out.
I really can't help but think you have a wake-on-lan setting mis-flipped. I would try going one night with ALL the devices off on your network including the server if you can and see if that make a difference.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pafao
Jelyman, I am not 100% sure that I've been turning it completely off, but I am pretty sure. I set all of my different power settings to "shut down" when I pressed the power button, and have been shutting it down from the start menu's "shut down" button.
Now I tried your advice on the USB sleep and charge, and it seemed to work so far, it was still off this morning! Although when I shut down last night, I powered up again to go to the bios, then made the switch, but then I didn't boot into windows again, so that maaay have something to do with it, I'll keep you updated though. Thanks for your help!
Let me know how it works out for you!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 May 2010   #9

Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

123


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 May 2010   #10

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jelyman View Post
I really can't help but think you have a wake-on-lan setting mis-flipped. I would try going one night with ALL the devices off on your network including the server if you can and see if that make a difference.
I have tried that, still no go, no magic packets on the network. I even had Dell replace motherboards and power supplies thinking that had something do to with it. Replaced UPSís, power cords, patch cables from CAT5e to CAT6, I have changed the switch from 5 year old Cisco to 2 year old Dell then back to New Cisco still nothing. I borrowed a power monitor meter from the power company and had it run for 4 weeks collecting data. Cool piece of equipment about $20,000USD to buy (ouch). The tech and I retrieved the data and reviewed it together, this area has some of the cleanest power around very few spikes, over voltage, brown out, etc. I have changed firewalls older 5 year old Sonicwall to brand new Sonicwall only 2 months old. I have even tried having the firewall turned off, no joy. Still a huge mystery here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Random Wake-Up




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33