Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Startup problem! Black screen and cursor

12 May 2010   #1
grantsaylor

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
Startup problem! Black screen and cursor

Whenever I start my laptop it says "Dell Inspiron" and has a loading bar at the bottom; normally after that it goes to the bootup animation....but for some reason now it does the loading then goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the corner (for about 12 seconds), and then shows the boot animation. Its really annoying; is there a way to fix this? >.> im not sure how this even happened considering I dont mistreat my laptop or install hacks or whatever


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 May 2010   #2
Ryan2320

Windows Seven x64
 
 

So your system starts to the Windows 7 Login Screen right? (just takes longer)

But your question is that it goes to the cursor for 12 seconds then goes to the bootup phase..
Please correct me if I am wrong..

If that is the case, do you have any CDs or flash drives that are plugged into your computer while it is booting up?


Hope this Helps..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2010   #3
grantsaylor

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ryan2320 View Post
So your system starts to the Windows 7 Login Screen right? (just takes longer)

But your question is that it goes to the cursor for 12 seconds then goes to the bootup phase..
Please correct me if I am wrong..

If that is the case, do you have any CDs or flash drives that are plugged into your computer while it is booting up?


Hope this Helps..
Yes, it goes past the "dell" screen and then does the cursor black screen, then the boot animation, and then another black screen for about 5 seconds, and then the login screen (everything is normal after that), and the only thing i have is my wireless mouse....but it was doing this before I had it plugged in
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 May 2010   #4
Ryan2320

Windows Seven x64
 
 

I wouldn't worry about the black screen after the boot animation, but with the cursor You might have to change your boot priority..

What the BIOS Is and How to Access it on a Dell? Computer | Dell
This is Dell's support page and how to access the BIOS

From there you can check what boots first.

Boot Priority - Change - Vista Forums
I also found a tutorial on how to change you boot priority.. (Thanks to lordbob75)

Also, When you got you laptop did it have Windows 7 on it already, or did you upgrade or install Windows 7 on it?

Hope this Helps..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2010   #5
edison00

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

i have the same problem too. my laptop is a sony vaio vpcea16fg running on a windows 7 home premium (64-bit) when i press the start button, it goes through the routines, and when the windows 7 start up or whatever you call it (the one with the blue screen and all saying loading) ends, the screen just go black with the cursor on the center of the screen. i can move the mouse and it shows the round icon beside that mouse that indicates it's loading or reading. is something wrong with my laptop? it's quite new. have it for about 2months.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2010   #6
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 

How long does it take to start Windows with the color flames?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2010   #7
mikedl

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by grantsaylor View Post
Yes, it goes past the "dell" screen and then does the cursor black screen, then the boot animation, and then another black screen for about 5 seconds, and then the login screen (everything is normal after that), and the only thing i have is my wireless mouse....but it was doing this before I had it plugged in
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by edison00 View Post
i have the same problem too. my laptop is a sony vaio vpcea16fg running on a windows 7 home premium (64-bit) when i press the start button, it goes through the routines, and when the windows 7 start up or whatever you call it (the one with the blue screen and all saying loading) ends, the screen just go black with the cursor on the center of the screen. i can move the mouse and it shows the round icon beside that mouse that indicates it's loading or reading. is something wrong with my laptop? it's quite new. have it for about 2months.
Normal behavior in my experience. The duration of the black screen before the Windows login appears seems to be commensurate with the speed of the computer; a faster computer will result in shorter duration. In my case, it varies from 3 to 9 seconds.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Startup problem! Black screen and cursor




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Black Screen with Cursor On Startup
Hello! I've been having some issues with my Windows 7 recently. It started with my system randomly rebooting the past month or so. This would happen anywhere from a couple times a week to a few times a day. The last couple of days, I've noticed that it's having some trouble starting up. ...
BSOD Help and Support
Black screen with cursor on startup
When I start my computer, the windows logo animation happens, and then it goes to a black screen with a cursor in the middle. I have done startup repair a few times, and the first time it did something, but now when I try it says there there are no problems. I cannot start it in safe mode either....
BSOD Help and Support
Black screen w/ cursor at startup, no ctrl/alt/del
Hi all, I'm thinking right now it's an SSD corruption as nothing else makes sense. I haven't done any installing, downloading, or updating in about a week and after restarting today I got startup repair loading and telling me I had a corrupt registry. It claimed to fix the problem and now...
BSOD Help and Support
Black screen with cursor on startup following Windows Update
Hi everyone Earlier this evening, I updated my computer, which included about ten new important ones, and four optional. One of the optional ones was an NVIDIA drivers update. Thinking little of it, I set it to update, then watched a movie on the computer while I waited. During it, the screen...
BSOD Help and Support
Black Screen with Cursor on startup, but Windows works
Whenever I boot Windows 7, after it starts, instead of showing the login screen, it show a black screen with a movable cursor. Now, I can go into safe mode, and it works, but, hell, I can even put my password on that black screen, press enter and it will go into Windows and work just fine. But the...
General Discussion
Black screen on startup, showing cursor, doesn't go to log in screen.
I'm using I have a DELL4500S desktop, on startup it will not go to the login screen, the screen is just black with the cursor showing. I've tried restarting the computer, unplugging everything and restarting it. Nothing is working. When it first starts a pop up shows and says "This Application...
BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:34.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App