Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Getting shortcuts to stick into taskbar?

05 Jun 2010   #1

Windows 7 HP 64-bit
 
 
Getting shortcuts to stick into taskbar?

Why is it that some shortcuts that I have on my desktop (shortcuts that I made) will not, while othr will, stick in the taskbar?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Jun 2010   #2
Dom

Windows Seven Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
Why is it that some shortcuts that I have on my desktop (shortcuts that I made) will not, while othr will, stick in the taskbar?
What have you linked the shortcuts to?
If it is a folder you have linked it to - it won't pin as an extra icon, it will come up in the jumplist (right hand click) of the explorer icon.

EDIT: Also, when you drag a program's executable file to the taskbar, it will make its own shortcut there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ram-links.html
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2010   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Either its a java application or the shortcut-exe actually just starts another exe.

Or what do you mean?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Jun 2010   #4

Windows 7 HP 64-bit
 
 
Renaming icon when in taskbar?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LilDomii View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
Why is it that some shortcuts that I have on my desktop (shortcuts that I made) will not, while othr will, stick in the taskbar?
What have you linked the shortcuts to?
If it is a folder you have linked it to - it won't pin as an extra icon, it will come up in the jumplist (right hand click) of the explorer icon.

EDIT: Also, when you drag a program's executable file to the taskbar, it will make its own shortcut there.
Like the idea of dragging exe to taskbar. Will give it a try later...

EDIT: I have noticed that one apparently can not rename an icon while it is in the taskbar. However, renaming can be done if the icon is on the desktop. Is there any way to rename while in taskbar (as there is with XP and Vista)?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2010   #5

 

I thought you can pin it to taskbar. other than that,if you like quick launch. You might want to try it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2010   #6
Dom

Windows Seven Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LilDomii View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
Why is it that some shortcuts that I have on my desktop (shortcuts that I made) will not, while othr will, stick in the taskbar?
What have you linked the shortcuts to?
If it is a folder you have linked it to - it won't pin as an extra icon, it will come up in the jumplist (right hand click) of the explorer icon.

EDIT: Also, when you drag a program's executable file to the taskbar, it will make its own shortcut there.
Like the idea of dragging exe to taskbar. Will give it a try later...

EDIT: I have noticed that one apparently can not rename an icon while it is in the taskbar. However, renaming can be done if the icon is on the desktop. Is there any way to rename while in taskbar (as there is with XP and Vista)?
Since the 7 taskbar is completely redesigned and different from XP and Vista, I don't think you can. But you might want to try out the icons where they combine. (Right click empty space on taskbar, select properties, then click on where it says never combine. Click on the first option)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2010   #7

Windows 7 HP 64-bit
 
 

Still working on this as I still have two programs that won't pin to the taskbar: RGS-Cardmaster and VS RevoUninstall. I have tried doing it with shortcuts and with dragging the exe to the taskbar. Also, I have checked "store recently opened items in Start Menu and Taskbar," but haven't checked "store in
start menu".

Lastly, is there any way to pin the Control Panel to the taskbar? In Vista it was easy: Drag CC from Start to taskbar.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2010   #8
Dom

Windows Seven Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
Still working on this as I still have two programs that won't pin to the taskbar: RGS-Cardmaster and VS RevoUninstall. I have tried doing it with shortcuts and with dragging the exe to the taskbar. Also, I have checked "store recently opened items in Start Menu and Taskbar," but haven't checked "store in
start menu".

Lastly, is there any way to pin the Control Panel to the taskbar? In Vista it was easy: Drag CC from Start to taskbar.
Did you drag it?
That doesn't work for me either. What you need to do is search for it in the start menu, right click it and find 'Pin to taskbar'. Once it is pinned, drag it where you want.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2010   #9

Windows 7 HP 64-bit
 
 

[QUOTE=LilDomii;776454
Did you drag it?
That doesn't work for me either. What you need to do is search for it in the start menu, right click it and find 'Pin to taskbar'. Once it is pinned, drag it where you want. [/QUOTE]

I must be thick, can't find the start menu...unless you are referring to START?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2010   #10
Dom

Windows Seven Ultimate
 
 

[QUOTE=flycaster;776627]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LilDomii;776454
Did you drag it?
That doesn't work for me either. What you need to do is search for it in the start menu, right click it and find 'Pin to taskbar'. Once it is pinned, drag it where you want. :)[/QUOTE

I must be thick, can't find the start menu...unless you are referring to START?
Sorry, yes, once you've clicked on the start button, what comes up is called the start menu
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Getting shortcuts to stick into taskbar?





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Getting shortcuts to stick into taskbar?
Thread Forum
Adding shortcuts to taskbar General Discussion
Pinning shortcuts to the taskbar? General Discussion
No internet shortcuts on taskbar???? Performance & Maintenance
Pinning Shortcuts to Taskbar General Discussion
New to W7, questions about taskbar & shortcuts General Discussion
Can't Pin Similar Shortcuts to Taskbar General Discussion
Simple question. Can i make 3 folders stick in taskbar? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33