The libraries are shown as Documents.libary-ms, Pictures.library-ms, etc. The icons are a white page with a file size of 1.31, 1.32 KB. Double clicking these icons produce nothing, no change in windows explorer. Upon deleting them, and restoring default libraries, they come back as they were before i deleted them. In start menu, the 3 libary links, documents, music, pictures, are as Documents.library-ms, etc. which also open nothing. Accessing properties tab is not allowed on these icons. Also clicking on the New Library button produces nothing.
I suspect that in the process of fixing my 5004 error (another thread i posted here) which I played a little bit with registry settings, has caused this current problem.
Things I did before I noticed the problem and may have caused this:
1. DLed regcure, a program that supposedly fixes registry. Let it scan my pc and told me to buy before fixing. Uninstalled.
2. DLed Registry Easy, another registry fixing program, allowed it to scan and actually fix 25 "problems" with my pc for a few times. Googled the program and found it to be possibly a scam and did nothing, so uninstalled. Each scan showed how many problems and after each "fix" there was 25 less problems. This was allowed for about 4 times. So that's 100 different things messed with on my system.
3. Went into regedit. Followed these directions... "Propagate the permissions of the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE down to its child objects with these steps:
1) Right click on the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE
2) Click on 'Permissions...'
3) Under the tab 'Security' click on 'Advanced'
4) Tick on the checkbox of 'Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects' "
"When I followed these steps a message came up saying that it could not change the security in some of the keys/subkeys. " This was also true for me.
Upon looking at the checkbox right after, it was unchecked.