Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 & Previous Microsoft Apps

19 Jun 2010   #1
Frank Farina

XP
 
 
Windows 7 & Previous Microsoft Apps

I currently have a PC with XP SP3 which has Microsoft Office (MO) 2007 upgrade. I need to buy a laptop for my daughter and I was looking at one with a Windows Home Premium OS. In my research to make sure I get what I need I've been advisied the Windows 7 Home Premium OS will not run MO 2007 and many other previous Microsoft apps, I need to have Window Ultimate on my laptop to do, is this correct. My daughter is a student.

Thanks for your help.

FF


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Jun 2010   #2
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frank Farina View Post
I've been advisied the Windows 7 Home Premium OS will not run MO 2007 and many other previous Microsoft apps, I need to have Window Ultimate on my laptop to do, is this correct.
That is not correct. Home Premium will run the same applications as Ultimate. Home Premium just jacks a few features of Ultimate. Home Premium will be fine for your daughter.

Compare Windows 7 Editions
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2010   #3
Frank Farina

XP
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frank Farina View Post
I've been advisied the Windows 7 Home Premium OS will not run MO 2007 and many other previous Microsoft apps, I need to have Window Ultimate on my laptop to do, is this correct.
That is not correct. Home Premium will run the same applications as Ultimate. Home Premium just jacks a few features of Ultimate. Home Premium will be fine for your daughter.

Compare Windows 7 Editions
Thanks logicearth for your fast reply, that makes me feel a lot better. I found the following comment as follows:-

Will my old applications and games run?
Windows 7 will run applications designed for Windows Vista. Applications which only run on Windows XP need the Professional or Ultimate edition.

Harvey Norman Australia | Windows 7 Guide

Looks like I didn't understand it properly.

Thanks again for your help.

FF
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Jun 2010   #4
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frank Farina View Post

Thanks logicearth for your fast reply, that makes me feel a lot better. I found the following comment as follows:-

Will my old applications and games run?
Windows 7 will run applications designed for Windows Vista. Applications which only run on Windows XP need the Professional or Ultimate edition.

Harvey Norman Australia | Windows 7 Guide

Looks like I didn't understand it properly.

Thanks again for your help.

FF
I have Win 7 Home Premium and am running MS Office 2003. There should not be any problem with 2007.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2010   #5
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello Frank Farina, welcome to Seven Forums!



Have a look at the tutorial at the link below.


How to Run a Program in Compatibility Mode in Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2010   #6
Frank Farina

XP
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frank Farina View Post

Thanks logicearth for your fast reply, that makes me feel a lot better. I found the following comment as follows:-

Will my old applications and games run?
Windows 7 will run applications designed for Windows Vista. Applications which only run on Windows XP need the Professional or Ultimate edition.

Harvey Norman Australia | Windows 7 Guide

Looks like I didn't understand it properly.

Thanks again for your help.

FF
I have Win 7 Home Premium and am running MS Office 2003. There should not be any problem with 2007.
Do you need to be in Compatibility mode to run MSO 2003?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2010   #7
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frank Farina View Post





Do you need to be in Compatibility mode to run MSO 2003?


No, I even had it installed while I had Office 64-bit 2010 installed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2010   #8
brandub

Windows 7 x64
 
 

I use Win7 64 bit and have not not had many issues installing most of my XP apps, large suites like Adobe or MS Office (MSO) have no issues at all, but for smaller open source apps you might need to find a current alternative, which there are plenty of. You shouldnt have to use "Compatibility Mode" for anything unless you encounter an issue (like it wont launch at all). Otherwise, most older apps work fine.. Also, If your daughter is a University/College student then she might be eligible to buy MSO 'Home and Office' 2010 for $89 through MS...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2010   #9
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frank Farina View Post
Windows 7 will run applications designed for Windows Vista. Applications which only run on Windows XP need the Professional or Ultimate edition.
I believe what that is referring to is that "XP mode" is not available in Home premium. You need Pro or Ultimate if you want to install and run it. "Compatibility Mode" is available on all windows 7 versions though. I have Home Premium and can confirm that I have it. If compatibility mode didn't work, XP Mode (which is a virtual PC mode) would be the next step if you absolutely had to run that program.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 & Previous Microsoft Apps




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft's universal Windows apps run on tablets, phones, Xbox, and..
Microsoft's universal Windows apps run on tablets, phones, Xbox, and PCs Source A Guy
News
Microsoft cures 'hiccup' that stopped Windows Phone apps installing
Source A Guy
Chillout Room
Previous Microsoft Installations
When doing a "Disc Clean Up" in Windows 7 Home Premium, there is a box which sugests you can delete previous Microsoft Installations. What exactly does this mean please, does it include all those old updates that have been installed on my machine over the months or do they have to stay put? I...
General Discussion
Microsoft updates SkyDrive apps for Windows, Mac
Source A Guy
News
No previous apps in Start menu or Desktop
Hey, I just upgraded to Windows 7 from Windows XP and I have run into a snag. I have my hard drive split into 2 partitions. One (the C drive) is for the OS, the other (D drive) is for everything else. I installed Windows 7 on the C drive, and performed a clean install. Everything installed fine,...
Installation & Setup
Important correction with previous Microsoft Store URL
Important correction reguarding previous Microsoft Store URL Yesterday night we reported that Windows 7 pre-orders were available on the Microsoft Store website. In our rush to get the news out to our visitors, we inadvertently included a link to the development version of the store...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App