Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Will I lose all of my files with upgrade?

14 Dec 2008   #11
element4life3

Windows 7 Beta 7000 32 bit
 
 

So if I were to just do an upgrade from Vista to 7 would I have a ton of incompatible programs? The only programs I really use often are Firefox, Office2007, Live Messenger 2009 (Beta) and Utorrent. Am I going to have any issues with any of these?

And are you guys saying that if I upgrade to the 6956 build it will possibly give me the option to upgrade to the public beta when it releases?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Dec 2008   #12
z3r010

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by darkassain View Post
no there is no way you can upgrade or even do an install without a disk...
Not true.

I mounted my win7 iso with daemon tools from within Vista and installed it from there
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2008   #13
darkassain

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by z3r010 View Post
Not true.

I mounted my win7 iso with daemon tools from within Vista and installed it from there
hmmm...
i always got an error after the reboot that some files were missing....
tried a clean install and all was well
i tried even spinrite if it was the drive... ???
well if you say so...
i guess you can

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by element4life3 View Post
So if I were to just do an upgrade from Vista to 7 would I have a ton of incompatible programs? The only programs I really use often are Firefox, Office2007, Live Messenger 2009 (Beta) and Utorrent. Am I going to have any issues with any of these?

And are you guys saying that if I upgrade to the 6956 build it will possibly give me the option to upgrade to the public beta when it releases?
yes if you choose the right architecture and from my understanding 6956 is 32 so when the beta comes just choose the 32 version to download....

as for the apps....
all of them are compatible....
you shouldnt have any trouble with them
you should really check here...
List of Supported apps in Windows 7 (6801/6956)
that reminds me i should add utorrent....lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Dec 2008   #14
dan7777

windows 7 RTM
 
 

Hi, there folks keep getting BSOD this is the msg i get... STOP 0X0000007F(0X000000008050031,0X00000000000006F8,0XFFFFF800028A3953) anyone help on his matter. thanks for help in advance.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2008   #15
darkassain

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dan7777 View Post
Hi, there folks keep getting BSOD this is the msg i get... STOP 0X0000007F(0X000000008050031,0X00000000000006F8,0XFFFFF800028A3953) anyone help on his matter. thanks for help in advance.
please create a new thread dan7777...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2008   #16
dan7777

windows 7 RTM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by darkassain View Post
please create a new thread dan7777...
i did mate but no one answered heres is the thread for it...http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...4.html#post742.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2008   #17
element4life3

Windows 7 Beta 7000 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by darkassain View Post
yes if you choose the right architecture and from my understanding 6956 is 32 so when the beta comes just choose the 32 version to download....

as for the apps....
all of them are compatible....
you shouldnt have any trouble with them
you should really check here...
List of Supported apps in Windows 7 (6801/6956)
that reminds me i should add utorrent....lol
Thanks a bunch!! I decided to go the DVD route and am going to try the upgrade, and as long as all of those programs work i should be good!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2008   #18
darkassain

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by element4life3 View Post
Thanks a bunch!! I decided to go the DVD route and am going to try the upgrade, and as long as all of those programs work i should be good!

glad you got your question anwser...
just remember...
32 with 32
64 with 64
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2008   #19
element4life3

Windows 7 Beta 7000 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by darkassain View Post
glad you got your question anwser...
just remember...
32 with 32
64 with 64
Yes I always remember that. 64 bit wouldnt even work with my comp anyways. I'm about to start the upgrade so wish me luck!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2008   #20
darkassain

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NormCameron View Post
As this is a pre-beta I would recommend you dual boot and keep your existing Vista install untouched. Remember it will probably time-bomb in January and you could lose the lot.

Norm

actually norm nothing has happend apart from the nagging...
you can still create and save documents...
and you can install programs
although full screen programs are impossible due to the nagging
i believe you cannot use aero and the goodies that you get...lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Will I lose all of my files with upgrade?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can't Open Zip Files After Windows 7 Upgrade
I just updated my pc from Vista to Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I also use IZARC to zip and unzip files and everything worked fine until the windows 7 installation. The only software downloaded after the Windows 7 update was AVG 2013 and Dual Monitor Tools, which allows me to custom fit wallpapers...
Software
If I do a custom upgrade, how do I get my files back?
Hi there! :) I'm going to be a university student at Indiana University in the fall, so during orientation I picked up a student version of Windows 7 Ultimate for my HP Compaq laptop, which I bought back when Vista was brand new --I cant afford a new laptop right now, and the hardware is still...
Installation & Setup
Lost Files after Win7 Upgrade
Howdy All I have just done the upgrade from Win7RC to Win7 Professional. My laptop has two internal hard drives - C where the operating system and software is, and a larger D (500GB) where all my data is. The installation onto C went fine. After re-start, I am, horrified to find that all...
General Discussion
Winamp upgrade - can't delete 2 files
Hi there While I generally LIKE winamp - this is a classic example of how NOT to provide upgrades- and I'm surprised since somebody with the backing of AOL should IMO know better -- we aren't talking about a single developer "under the railway arches" here. When you upgrade it will fail...
Software
XP -> 7 upgrade gives me copying files problems...
I run my system on two partitions, one had XP and one 7 Beta. When i installed 7 RC1 i upgraded the XP install. This put all my files into a "windows.old" folder. All very well so far. All the files in this i can happily copy/cut and paste anywhere. Except the files in My Music. This is a problem...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App