I am having a problem when copying large files in Windows 7. (By 'large files' I mean my steamapps folder, which is around 30gb but it hangs pretty early on the bigger 1gb+ files.)
After about 30-60 seconds of copying large files from one drive to another the file copy hangs, and then eventually everything else hangs until it all grinds to a halt. Cancelling the file transfer does nothing except change the window to notify me that it's cancelling. The only way I can regain control of my computer is to restart it with the reset button on the case.
When I first installed Windows I had this problem when copying files over the network, upgrading my network drivers
fixed that. This problem has only recently been affecting me, possibly a little over a week. Having said that though, it's not often I try to copy large files.
I like to think I have a decent knowledge of computers and what not, but this really has me stumped.
Things I have tried:
- I have 4 hard disks in the machine, and I've tried various different combinations of which drive to copy from and which drive to copy to, just to see if that is the problem, so unless all 4 hard disks are broken, I don't think I can blame the drive.
- I read somewhere that virus scanners and firewalls have the potential to interfere, and so I uninstalled Zone Alarm, yet the problem still occurs.
- I've tried the SFC /SCANNOW thing but that doesn't seem to have helped.
- I've tried to get new motherboard drivers from the ASUS site, which I've now installed, but they didn't help.
- I've tried changing my PSU, which didn't help.
- I've tried running WD drive tools to check the drive for errors, and the SMART test, and they all passed.
- I've tried tearing my hair out, but that only hurt!
Other information I can think of, is in the Event Log at the time of the freezing it writes numerous events with EventID '11', Source 'Disk', which says "The drive detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\DR0" and the device listed changes depending on which drive I'm trying to copy.
I've read the "how to ask for help" thread but if I'm missing any important info, either here or on my system specs page, (or done anything wrong in general) please let me know.
Please let me know if any of you have any ideas!