Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Some desktop shortcuts disappeared!

11 May 2009   #1

Win7
 
 
Some desktop shortcuts disappeared!

Ok, that's not funny...

I played some UT3, made some screenshots w/ Fraps to the desktop, downloaded a vid to the desktop, and when i was finished, there where some empty spots in my icon rows on the desktop. I thought that something shuffled the icons around, but then discovered that about 4-6 shortcuts where missing. There where simply gone, i did a search for them.

After some investigation (including examining my desktop backup) i found that all the missing shortcuts have a broken link (the destination doesn't exist at the moment).

So, what is this strange behavior? Shortcuts that no longer work are deleted automatically without warning the user??? Anyone had this problem too?

I'm a little worried...
jj

PS: The shortcuts where created in WinXP prior installing Windows 7. Could this be the problem and why?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Jun 2009   #2

Windows 7 Prfessional 64 bit
 
 

I too have this problem. For instance, I have a phone with an SD card. Link is not good when I don't have the phone docked. Similar with my thumb drive. I really hate that it keeps deleting icons.

One that really bothers me is that I have a set of icons to connect to other computers on my local network. It includes one to "this" computer. That one went away overnight last night. Strange!

Does anyone know of a fix for this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2009   #3

Vista & Win 7
 
 

im suffering from this as well. although it doesn't happen all the time, it's still annoying. i have shortcuts to both my external hard drives and a flash drive that aren't always connected. they dissapear sometimes.

but i have two more shortcuts that disapear along with the others ones. i can't explain/know why, they are shortcuts to 'Bluetooth Devices' and 'Desktop Gadgets' both which are in the control panel.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 Jul 2009   #4

Windows 7
 
 

This is an extremely annoying problem. I had shortcuts to several files and folders on my external hard drive which are all gone now.

The purpose of the icons was to remind me of the stuff I needed to come back to later. Now I have to do the opposite--remember the things that I needed to do in order to re-create the shortcuts to them. A little backwards, eh? Thanks Microsoft.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2009   #5

Win 7
 
 

I had all my desktop icons disappear after a reboot. I couldnt recover them. Luckly I had another Admin account so I just deleted that profile and made a new one...very aggravating. Hope this gets sorted out soon.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2009   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Greg View Post
I had all my desktop icons disappear after a reboot. I couldnt recover them. Luckly I had another Admin account so I just deleted that profile and made a new one...very aggravating. Hope this gets sorted out soon.
You know it would be easier for us to help you if you had bothered to put your system specs in. I would be able to compare your spec, OS, etc with knocks, and the previous OP.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Knocks View Post
This is an extremely annoying problem. I had shortcuts to several files and folders on my external hard drive which are all gone now.

The purpose of the icons was to remind me of the stuff I needed to come back to later. Now I have to do the opposite--remember the things that I needed to do in order to re-create the shortcuts to them. A little backwards, eh? Thanks Microsoft.
Knocks I understand how frustrating this could be but we really are here to help. the more info we have the better

Waiting for Info

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2009   #7

Win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
You know it would be easier for us to help you if you had bothered to put your system specs in. I would be able to compare your spec, OS, etc with knocks, and the previous OP.



Knocks I understand how frustrating this could be but we really are here to help. the more info we have the better

Waiting for Info

Ken
Doh....sorry about that

Laptop
Celeron R 530@1.73 GHz
2.5 gb ram
32 bit OS Win 7 RC build 7100

available disk space 39gb

Thanks, Greg
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2009   #8

Windows 7
 
 

Not sure how hardware specs would help troubleshoot a problem with shortcuts, but here you go.

Dell Inspiron 1520
Core 2 Duo T7300 2Ghz
2GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate RTM x86

Seagate 700GB USB 2.0 hdd
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2009   #9

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Oy, I hope they didn't automate the "You have unused desktop icons" nag from XP

As annoying as that was (especially since it ususaly poped up twice in a row) at least you could say no!

Not at home right now but maybe a search of the registry for keys related to automatic desktop cleanup might work... (or desktop options)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2009   #10

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Knocks View Post
Not sure how hardware specs would help troubleshoot a problem with shortcuts, but here you go.

Dell Inspiron 1520
Core 2 Duo T7300 2Ghz
2GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate RTM x86

Seagate 700GB USB 2.0 hdd
Actually you both are 32 bit, have abt 2 gigs of ram on similar cpu's, etc.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Doh....sorry about that

Laptop
Celeron R 530@1.73 GHz
2.5 gb ram
32 bit OS Win 7 RC build 7100

available disk space 39gb

Thanks, Greg
No problem it was just my 15th post in a row for sys specs.

Did you guys install any 3rd party apps? were you both clean installs or upgrades?

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Some desktop shortcuts disappeared!




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Some desktop shortcuts disappeared!
Thread Forum
Some desktop shortcuts disappeared - why? General Discussion
Desktop icons disappeared. plz help General Discussion
Recycle Bin disappeared off desktop General Discussion
desktop icons disappeared Performance & Maintenance
Desktop Icons Have Disappeared Installation & Setup
Desktop gadgets disappeared General Discussion
Desktop bar disappeared after restart? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33