Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Small font size

08 Jul 2010   #1

Windows 7 x64
 
 
Small font size

I installed Windows 7 64Bits 2 days ago. I was using windows xp before.
So far i'm happy with Windows 7 and i'm getting used to it, but there's only a problem that is really disturbing to me and keeps me away from a perfect Windows 7 usage.
The font printed and even images and all other stuff is really small in some programs, sometimes its even hard to read it without using Ctrl + or Ctrl +scroll to make it look bigger. Using Ctrl + feature usually makes the pages kinda unformatted and doing that every time i browse into a new page is really annoying.
However the problem isn't just in the browsers, I've noticed that in some other programs.
On Chrome and Firefox I have that problem but on Internet Explorer everything looks as it should. On utorrent, itunes, .. everything is fine, but on Photoshop for example i have the size problem again.

Here's a screenshot showing what i said:


Monitor:15.4"
Resolution: 1680x1050 ( I don't think it's resolution's problem because i only have that problem in some programs as i said. I tried other resolutions and it looked awful)
If you need any other information just ask.

Thanks in advance, i dont know what to do about this

TL;DR -> Really small font, image, .. size in some programs but everything is fine on another programs. Tips?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jul 2010   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

This may help

DPI Display Size Settings - Change

In addition.

Bottom right of your screen (IE8) you can adjust the size of the font. It shows as a percentage of normal. Mine is 140%
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2010   #3

Windows 8 Pro / Windows 7 Home Premium x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mkay View Post
I installed Windows 7 64Bits 2 days ago. I was using windows xp before.
So far i'm happy with Windows 7 and i'm getting used to it, but there's only a problem that is really disturbing to me and keeps me away from a perfect Windows 7 usage.
The font printed and even images and all other stuff is really small in some programs, sometimes its even hard to read it without using Ctrl + or Ctrl +scroll to make it look bigger. Using Ctrl + feature usually makes the pages kinda unformatted and doing that every time i browse into a new page is really annoying.
However the problem isn't just in the browsers, I've noticed that in some other programs.
On Chrome and Firefox I have that problem but on Internet Explorer everything looks as it should. On utorrent, itunes, .. everything is fine, but on Photoshop for example i have the size problem again.

Here's a screenshot showing what i said:


Monitor:15.4"
Resolution: 1680x1050 ( I don't think it's resolution's problem because i only have that problem in some programs as i said. I tried other resolutions and it looked awful)
If you need any other information just ask.

Thanks in advance, i dont know what to do about this

TL;DR -> Really small font, image, .. size in some programs but everything is fine on another programs. Tips?
Wow , 1680x1050 on a 15.4" monitor ?? no wonder you having trouble seeing stuff , I would highly recommend going to at least 1024x768 otherwise your going to be wearing the bottom of Coke bottles for glasses in a few years . Either that or get a bigger monitor so the resolution you want will work out , I've had 15" monitors and I know anything above 1024x768 is VERY hard to see.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Jul 2010   #4

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

Hi mkay and welcome to Windows 7 Forums

I agree with edee here. Your stated resolution and the size of your monitor don't seem to match. What is the make and model number of the monitor, and what is its native resolution? Have you tried with the native resolution?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

I have 22" inch monitor with native resolution of 1680x1050. For 15'' it's kind of weird.
For your FF problem, you can hit ctrl and "+" until you are satisfied with the text size
cheers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2010   #6

Windows 7 x64
 
 

@richc46
Thanks for the tip, i didnt notice that on IE, as i'm not a big fan of IE.
Changing the DPI Size with Xp scaling on doesn't seem to affect the programs which i'm having problems with, but leaving that option unchecked makes the fonts really blurry. Kind of a dilemma..

@edee
I thought like that the first time i saw it. I was using like 1280xsomething, 1280*960 if i'm not mistaken and everything was fine, the image fitted completely the monitor, the size was perfect and I could see everything clearly. Using the resolution you said the image doesn't fit completely the monitor (There's a small black stripe on top and bottom), and when i open start menu it fills almost half of my screen.

@Dwarf
Thanks Dwarf.
That's the problem, it says the native resolution is 1680x1050. I'm using a laptop, so the screen i'm using is from my laptop
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2010   #7

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

What is the make and full model number (including revision) of the laptop? Something isn't right here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2010   #8

Windows 7 x64 (SP1)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
What is the make and full model number (including revision) of the laptop? Something isn't right here.
What do you mean something isn't right? Having a 15" monitor with that resolution is nothing new. Some even go to 1920x1200 like my 17". As for the original problem, the applications in questions are having problems because they are not built with Windows DPI setting in mind. In other words until the developers add these features, you are stuck. There is no setting in Windows that will magically make these applications work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2010   #9

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
What is the make and full model number (including revision) of the laptop? Something isn't right here.
Clevo m761su. Where can i find the revision? I was looking under the laptop but didn't find anything.



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
What is the make and full model number (including revision) of the laptop? Something isn't right here.
What do you mean something isn't right? Having a 15" monitor with that resolution is nothing new. Some even go to 1920x1200 like my 17". As for the original problem, the applications in questions are having problems because they are not built with Windows DPI setting in mind. In other words until the developers add these features, you are stuck. There is no setting in Windows that will magically make these applications work.
That makes sense, but Windows 7 was launched some time ago, they were supposed to fix it by now, and i cant be the only one with this kind of problem


Found this:


At least will fix the problem that i had using other resolutions and not having the image filling completely the monitor.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2010   #10

Windows 7 x64 (SP1)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mkay View Post
That makes sense, but Windows 7 was launched some time ago they were supposed to fiz it by now, and i cant be the only one with this kind of problem
Developers are slow to adopt. Generally speaking.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Small font size





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33