Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: You need to format the disk in drive x...


09 Jul 2010   #1

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
You need to format the disk in drive x...

I am getting this popup: "You need to format the disk in drive x before you can use it".

In my case it's drive H:
I have unchecked "Use AutoPlay for all media and devices" in the Control Panel. I did this a week ago when I started getting these popups and it seemed to work till today when it all started up again. I just noticed that the popup is not appearing, but the drive is appearing and disappearing from my file manager (I use Q-dir).

What's up with this crapola? It's driving me crazy.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Jul 2010   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Check all the cables & PSU.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by N7AS View Post
I am getting this popup: "You need to format the disk in drive x before you can use it".

In my case it's drive H:
I have unchecked "Use AutoPlay for all media and devices" in the Control Panel. I did this a week ago when I started getting these popups and it seemed to work till today when it all started up again. I just noticed that the popup is not appearing, but the drive is appearing and disappearing from my file manager (I use Q-dir).

What's up with this crapola? It's driving me crazy.
Is H drive new? Are there any files on it? Is it a partition or is H drive the whole hard drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


09 Jul 2010   #4

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Drive H: is an external USB drive. I do have files in it and have had it for at least 6 months or more. This drive appears and disappears every 3 or 4 seconds.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #5

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

Do you have a spare USB cable to test with it ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #6

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Do you have a spare USB cable to test with it ?
I just changed cables and it seems to work ok now, but time will tell. I wouldn't mark this thread solved yet.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #7

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by N7AS View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Do you have a spare USB cable to test with it ?
I just changed cables and it seems to work ok now, but time will tell. I wouldn't mark this thread solved yet.

What make & model is the USB Ext HD ?

So we can watch for your update on this thread
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #8

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

The HD is a Seagate Expansion Portable Drive ST903204EXA101 320GB 2-1'2"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 You need to format the disk in drive x...




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33