Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Partitioning


16 Dec 2008   #1

Windows Se7en Ultimate x64
 
 
Partitioning

Here's my problem, I have a 2 partition disk split: C:\Windows 7 & E:\data . I want to sneak in a partition at the start of E: to hold XP os and thus "F:" becomes my new data partition. Shrink as far as I know will create a space after the currently existing E:. The added problem is I am only playing with a small drive and cannot just copy over the data. Any help welcome.

I reckon I will have to flatten the E:, or at least part of it me thinks!! Unless someone out ther can help.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Dec 2008   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 x2 + x86 + Windows 8.1 x64 x2
 
 

Hi Bellerophon,

Although the windows disk management will not allow you to do what you want to do 3rd party options will allow this.

Have a search for gparted Live CD which will allow this and is open source -

Note you may need to do a start-up repair after use so keep the Windows 7 Install dvd handy, although as you are not touching the system partition it should not be required in your case

Once you have the partitions organised how you need have a look here it's for Vista/XP but should give some insight

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_v...step_guide.htm

Don't forget all these things are possible and normally work without problems but ensure any irreplaceable data is backed up before you start
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2008   #3

Windows Se7en Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
Hi Bellerophon,

Although the windows disk management will not allow you to do what you want to do 3rd party options will allow this.

Have a search for gparted Live CD which will allow this and is open source -

Note you may need to do a start-up repair after use so keep the Windows 7 Install dvd handy, although as you are not touching the system partition it should not be required in your case

Once you have the partitions organised how you need have a look here it's for Vista/XP but should give some insight



How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

Don't forget all these things are possible and normally work without problems but ensure any irreplaceable data is backed up before you start

THX for the second time

Was using partition magic before and I know this would do it but it doesn't seem to like 7, as you say there are programs out there just findind a decent one. Had a quick look through the freeware section but couldn't see anything apart from easybcd

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


16 Dec 2008   #4

Windows Se7en Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bellerophon View Post
THX for the second time

Was using partition magic before and I know this would do it but it doesn't seem to like 7, as you say there are programs out there just findind a decent one. Had a quick look through the freeware section but couldn't see anything apart from easybcd


I have my other machines partitioned so I am OK with the genreals. I have a triple and a dual boot machines besides this one.

Perhaps you could give me some insight into my other problem, which would negate the need for a dual boot on the third machine??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2008   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 x2 + x86 + Windows 8.1 x64 x2
 
 

Hi Bellerophon,

Have a look Here ...

GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD

As in my OP you have to be a bit careful as it can confuse the Windows Boot managers but I've used it for a while without any real issues. and as it's a bootable CD it is totally OS independent. I personally use Paragon Drive manager 8.5 within vista to partition my drives ( available free ATM for UK users only)

I also always use easyBCD to manage the dual boot using the Vista / windows 7 boot manager
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2008   #6

Windows Se7en Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
Hi Bellerophon,

Have a look Here ...

GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD

As in my OP you have to be a bit careful as it can confuse the Windows Boot managers but I've used it for a while without any real issues. and as it's a bootable CD it is totally OS independent. I personally use Paragon Drive manager 8.5 within vista to partition my drives ( available free ATM for UK users only)

I also always use easyBCD to manage the dual boot using the Vista / windows 7 boot manager
Many thanks, it looks like I have been able to now install Paragon Drive manager 8.5 thanks to your previous tip (compatibilty), I think I said partion magic before I meant, Paragon Drive manager 8.5.

I like to use VistaBootPRO 3.3 to control boot options, seems quite good.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2008   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 x2 + x86 + Windows 8.1 x64 x2
 
 

Hi,

Glad to see you got things sorted out..

VistaBootPro is a good Application and I have used it myself It's just that I found EasyBCD more intuitive to use, just personal choice

Either is a lot better than Microsoft's Built-in bcdedit
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Partitioning




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Partitioning
Thread Forum
Solved HDD Partitioning General Discussion
HDD Partitioning Hardware & Devices
Partitioning General Discussion
partitioning General Discussion
Partitioning HELP PLEASE Performance & Maintenance
HD partitioning Hardware & Devices
Help with partitioning. Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33