Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Search on data / media drive


15 Jul 2010   #1
cmoazz

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 
Search on data / media drive

Hey what's up all.

So I just noticed that the search feature on the Start menu doesn't search for items on my data drive, only the C drive. This sucks because all my songs and picture albums are on the data drive... any solution to this?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2010   #2
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Hello, you can add to the files that get indexed:

Start> Type Indexing in search box> Click on Indexing Options in results above

Once the indexing choices appear> Click on Modify button

Any network drive or external hard drive will show up in the list of possible locations. You can check off any drive or folder that you would like to include in the index.

It will take some time for the indexing to finish. If you notice certain file types aren't being indexed. You can click on Advanced on the main Indexing Options window. There you will find 2 tabs. Indexing Settings and File Types.

Let us know if you have any problems, or need more info.

A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2010   #3
cmoazz

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

ok added the drive, but still the searches don't come up... it has every file type checked in the advanced.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2010   #4
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cmoazz View Post
ok added the drive, but still the searches don't come up... it has every file type checked in the advanced.
They will. Just give the indexer time to complete it's job.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2010   #5
unifex

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
 
 

You might also search without indexing.

To do that, first type your query into the start menu search box, then click "see more results". It will then open an explorer-like window and you'll be given a choice to search again. There you could pick "custom". This will allow you to manually pick folders to search. If the folders are not indexed, the search would be slower compared to indexed locations, but it will eventually find anything you're looking for (if it's there that is).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2010   #6
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

You could try "Everything" from voidtools.com

Lightning fast and reindexes your drives every time you start it. It's free. It can be set to search all drives or only certain drives.

The only possible drawback: it searches for file names only, not content.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2010   #7
cmoazz

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Ok it's been days, still nothing on the B drive showing up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2010   #8
cmoazz

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by unifex View Post
You might also search without indexing.

To do that, first type your query into the start menu search box, then click "see more results". It will then open an explorer-like window and you'll be given a choice to search again. There you could pick "custom". This will allow you to manually pick folders to search. If the folders are not indexed, the search would be slower compared to indexed locations, but it will eventually find anything you're looking for (if it's there that is).
Added the folder, still nothing..

I have all my Windows Libraries on the media drive, I redirected it so it's B:/Library, which includes Movies, Music, etc all on B:/Music, etc if this matters
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2010   #9
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cmoazz View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by unifex View Post
You might also search without indexing.

To do that, first type your query into the start menu search box, then click "see more results". It will then open an explorer-like window and you'll be given a choice to search again. There you could pick "custom". This will allow you to manually pick folders to search. If the folders are not indexed, the search would be slower compared to indexed locations, but it will eventually find anything you're looking for (if it's there that is).
Added the folder, still nothing..

I have all my Windows Libraries on the media drive, I redirected it so it's B:/Library, which includes Movies, Music, etc all on B:/Music, etc if this matters
Why would you redirect the drive letters? You have to remember that "A:" and "B:" are usually resserved for use with floppy drives. A bit archaic today, i know, but the floppy drive letter assignments are for backwards compatibility, as even modern software expects floppy drives ONLY to be assigned either A or B.

Perhaps this has something to do with it? If you remove the re-direct, and use the default assisgned drive letter, does your search work?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2010   #10
cmoazz

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

I assigned my data drive as B: and redirected everything these so it wouldn't take up space on my SSD drive.. I know how to redirect folders, but how do I change the B: drive to, F: let's say..?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Search on data / media drive




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App