Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows explorer wont make new folders

16 Jul 2010   #1
Bluesrains

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 
Windows explorer wont make new folders

About a week ago, windows explorer stopped making new folders, when I click to do so. What would cause this please?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Jul 2010   #2
Capt.Jack Sparrow

Windows 7 Ultimate - 64-bit | Windows 8 Pro - 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bluesrains View Post
About a week ago, windows explorer stopped making new folders, when I click to do so. What would cause this please?
Hello !! Welcome to SF !!

What exactly its happening ?? When you click on New Folder does something happens or screen flashes ?

- Captain
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2010   #3
Bluesrains

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

Hi Captain,

Thanks for the Welcome!
In answer...Nothing happens! No pop ups, no sceen flashes, nothing at all? Windows Explorer just totally ignores my request. Ive checked and rechecked any settings I may have made but find none pertaining to this issue. I also tryed to find a troubleshooter in Win7 for this, but couldnt find any.

Blues


Hello !! Welcome to SF !!

What exactly its happening ?? When you click on New Folder does something happens or screen flashes ?

- Captain[/QUOTE]
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


16 Jul 2010   #4
Capt.Jack Sparrow

Windows 7 Ultimate - 64-bit | Windows 8 Pro - 64-bit
 
 

Hello,

There are few steps that you could try: -

1, Start | CMD | Right Click and Run as administrator | SFC /SCANNOW
2, Create a New User Account and test it under that account. If that works then we know it's a corrupt User Profile.
3, If that Fails the I would recommend to do a Repair Install Repair Install

Good Luck,
Captain
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2010   #5
Brink
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Hello Blues, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Before doing a repair install from above, see if after downloading and merging the folder option in the tutorial below may be able to help after finished and restarting the computer. It restores all folder default associations including New Folder.

Default File Type Associations - Restore

Hope this helps,
Shawn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2010   #6
Harvey Meale

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit, BackTrack 4, Ubuntu
 
 

Hi, Bluesrains.

Give the above a go, and if that doesn't work, perhaps this article will help.
Best of luck!

Thanks,
Harvey Meale
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2010   #7
Bluesrains

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 
Thanks Everyone! All Fixed Now!

Hi Shawn!

Thanks for the welcome! Also, thanks for your help!!
This fixed my problem. New Folder - Vista Forums
Lots of Great Info here!
In reading your fixes, I discovered
my problem may have been due to registry fixing software
deleting the wrong thing.
All Fixed Now!!



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Hello Blues, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Before doing a repair install from above, see if after downloading and merging the folder option in the tutorial below may be able to help after finished and restarting the computer. It restores all folder default associations including New Folder.

Default File Type Associations - Restore

Hope this helps,
Shawn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2010   #8
Bluesrains

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 
Thanks Harvey

Thanks So Very Much Harvey!! This worked like a charm!


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Harvey Meale View Post
Hi, Bluesrains.

Give the above a go, and if that doesn't work, perhaps this article will help.
Best of luck!

Thanks,
Harvey Meale
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2010   #9
Bluesrains

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 
Thanks Capt.

Hi Capt.

I did scan with SFC /SCANNOW and no errors came up? Go
figure? In any case, with everyones and your help, the problem
is fixed now.
Love you guys!!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Capt.Jack Sparrow View Post
Hello,

There are few steps that you could try: -

1, Start | CMD | Right Click and Run as administrator | SFC /SCANNOW
2, Create a New User Account and test it under that account. If that works then we know it's a corrupt User Profile.
3, If that Fails the I would recommend to do a Repair Install Repair Install

Good Luck,
Captain
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2010   #10
Brink
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

That's great news Blues. I'm happy to hear that we were able to help you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows explorer wont make new folders




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
windows explorer wont start
When I launch Windows Explorer it never loads. All I get is Favorite, Library and Computer in the left navigation pane with little circles like it's loading. After a reboot it works fine for a couple of tries. Then it starts this again. Also sometimes all my desktop icons turn white when this is...
General Discussion
Can i make windows explorer look this way
I want to move to 7 very soon (next week or so) but one thing that is putting me off is the standard version of Windows Explorer (W.E.)I have looked at "Classic Shell" but I can't seem to get it right to look the way i want it too, if you look below this is how i have my W.E. now in XP ro SP3....
Customization
Can you make everything in windows explorer aero?
When you pull up the gadget gallery to place gadgets, the gallery is all aero glass. I was wondering if it is possible to do this with folders and stuff. I think it would be pretty interesting.
Customization
Make explorer hide folders or hide files?
In Win 7 64 bit explorer, can I make it show me only folders or only files? Another way of saying this: can I make it hide folders, or hide files?
General Discussion
Fix Explorer.exe to make Windows install again?
Hey recently my explorer.exe messed up and wouldn't open, and now whenever I try to reinstall Windows 7, it says that all the sources for installation aren't available. I've tried formatting my hard drive but that didn't do anything. Any1 got any ideas as to how I can fix this to make Windows...
Installation & Setup
How can I make shortcuts work as folders in explorer
In Windows explorer my desktop folders only list the folders that are actually on the desktop. It doesn't list the folders that are shortcuts/ How can I get around this?
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:17.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App