Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Existing folders get auto-renamed

19 Jul 2010   #1
skydiver123

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
Existing folders get auto-renamed

Weird issue I hit a couple of times now (Win7 Home Premium). I had just fully patched yesterday btw, before this occurred.

I created a folder on my desktop, say it was called "temp".
I dragged some files into it.
I created another folder on my desktop, and named it "whatever".
The previous folder, "temp" now renamed itself "whatever (1)" (might have ended in (2), whatever convention Windows uses for auto-renaming)

So I renamed the original folder to "temp".

Likewise when I added a third folder bearing a different name, the first two that I had created this session were auto-renamed to become copies of my new folder name, with number suffixes on them.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Jul 2010   #2
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by skydiver123 View Post
Weird issue I hit a couple of times now (Win7 Home Premium). I had just fully patched yesterday btw, before this occurred.

I created a folder on my desktop, say it was called "temp".
I dragged some files into it.
I created another folder on my desktop, and named it "whatever".
The previous folder, "temp" now renamed itself "whatever (1)" (might have ended in (2), whatever convention Windows uses for auto-renaming)

So I renamed the original folder to "temp".

Likewise when I added a third folder bearing a different name, the first two that I had created this session were auto-renamed to become copies of my new folder name, with number suffixes on them.
Make sure that when you rename a file or folder, that nothing else is selected.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2010   #3
skydiver123

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post

Make sure that when you rename a file or folder, that nothing else is selected.
Nothing else was selected. As a test just now, I tried selecting new folders and then creating a new one, and it didn't keep the selection, or affect the other folders as per my issue above.

I think it must relate to the Win7 'feature' which, when you create a new folder somewhere on the desktop, Win7 seems to reposition it somewhere else on the desktop (very annoying!)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


20 Jul 2010   #4
MacGyvr

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by skydiver123 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post

Make sure that when you rename a file or folder, that nothing else is selected.
Nothing else was selected. As a test just now, I tried selecting new folders and then creating a new one, and it didn't keep the selection, or affect the other folders as per my issue above.

I think it must relate to the Win7 'feature' which, when you create a new folder somewhere on the desktop, Win7 seems to reposition it somewhere else on the desktop (very annoying!)
Windows 7 has no such new "feature." The only thing that would cause such behaviour is if you have auto-arrange turned on.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2010   #5
ryo

 
 

i don't think that's cause by auto arrange or something else..
when you create a new folder location on desktop called "A folder", than you drag some files on it. and you create new folder called "B folder"
when you rearrange it, that's have some option, arrange by type, size or others.
did you already check,the name of folder is really change?? or someone use your computer and login it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2010   #6
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Hi skydiver
Exactly how did you create the new folders, right click on the actual desktop or go to the desktop folder in C:\users\"name"desktop and click new?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2010   #7
skydiver123

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

hi Ryo - you're right, auto-arrange was not selected. No one else was using my PC. The names that I had typed in to those previous folders, (all created on the desktop), changed even though they were not selected. It was as though Windows kept track of the new folders - the folders I had created in the current session, but hadn't had selected at the time - and mistakenly treated them all as having the same name - the newest folder name I typed in was copied into the other folders.

hi Mitchell - I right-clicked on the desktop itself. As soon as I created a folder, it kept its name but was auto-relocated towards the upper-left of the desktop. And yes, without auto-arrange on! Very odd.

In any case, this seems to have been a one-off, but so odd that I decided to post and see if there was any explanation for it. It hasn't happened since, so I guess it might have been a memory corruption...

thanks for your previous feedback.

- Sky
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2010   #8
ryo

 
 

you should try to check with this command.. SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker and see what you get.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2010   #9
skydiver123

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ryo View Post
you should try to check with this command.. SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker and see what you get.
Thanks for the tip, but no errors detected. I'll let this issue rest as I believe it was transient and it is not repeatable.
Cheers
- Sky
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2010   #10
ryo

 
 

maybe you must try to Repair Install
thanks for the update
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Existing folders get auto-renamed




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 won't boot up after I renamed catroot folders
Well after trying to fix the fact that windows update will not update (i renamed the catroot folders as someone had suggested) windows 7 won't boot up. The auto feature that's supposed to do the job (repair windows so that my computer/windows boots again) was unable to. I can't even do the usual...
Backup and Restore
Deleted Folders Or Folders That Have Been Renamed Still Show
Hello, I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and I am ecountering a very weird problem. I have a folder on my Desktop that I created called "My Travel Shots" that contains several folders inside of it. These sub folders within "My Travel Shots" contain .jpg files. I can rename or...
General Discussion
HELP! I accidentally renamed one of the user/home folders.
I have a vista 64bit - after i renamed the user home folder i then logged onto the user account of the folder i had renamed. Turns out the account has been restored to default settings with none of the old files, etc. When i go into the Users folder however, there is an additional folder...
General Discussion
SP1 virtually renamed my shell folders(!?)
I'm running Win 7 64-bit, and just installed SP1 RTM. I had no prior version of SP1 installed, but I did have all the recommended Windows updates. The problem is that as soon as Installed SP1, Win7 shows my "special" folders (Documents, Videos, Pictures, etc.) with the dreaded "My" prefix. I...
General Discussion
Win 7 renamed/moved all my new music folders while i was out to lunch!
How can this even happen? I downloaded from zip files 16 new albums--all by the same artist (an audio series)--named those 16 albums as I wished, divided them into 4 folders (4 albums in each) and named those folders as I wished. All in my MY Music folder. Then I went to lunch. I came back,...
Performance & Maintenance
Most folders have been renamed to shorter names!
I find that most of my folders have been renamed. I don't know how. Suppose the folder name was 'sdfkjh falkhf aslkjd' , it has been reduced to 'sdfkjh'. I don't think it has anything to do with the length either since there are long ones still intact while short ones have been renamed. What do I...
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:13.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App