Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 Beta FAST, 7 RC SLOW


13 May 2009   #11

Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Digger View Post
start menu i see no change. are we talking 2 ms here? are you trying to load a start menu loaded with installed programs from the beta, and a pretty much clean install with not a 3+months use of registry entries and installed/uinstalled programs? You then would see a problem, or an improvement in performance, of course.
I can validate that the search has been worked on under the hood. Not just does or would this affect a start menu, but it affects the loading of multiple files in one folder faster than the 7000, take for example wallpaper, or my pictures library, or a huge music library. Whether the library includes local internal or external drives/folders or also networked indexed locations... it all loads faster, that i wont contest.
As far as ram usuage, actually, i see this as a decrease compared with my application ridden beta system compared against a 50% worth of the same apps that i have installed so far, and notice the ram usuage is horrible. All the same programs, no changes, i am a creature of habit with this, like a robot.
Lastly, i believe this is all due to gfx drivers, tho i have seen a few glitches using the same drivers as 7000 on 7100. This is acceptable in my view as this IS STILL beta. I dont expect perfection, yet. And the .85 recently released drivers were absolutely horrid for my older 6800gt. ran like a old 64mb 440mx
Exactly as you put it, the recently released .85 drivers were horrid. They were horrid for me also. In fact they were so horrid I lost 2 points on the wei from 5.9 to 5.7 with them. Surely that has got to be nvidia's fault. After 3 days of switching between 4 different drivers I have come to the conclusion that 179.43 are best for me for now. And they were available for the beta!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 May 2009   #12

Windows 7 RC Ultimate Build 7100 X64
 
 

Everyone says that the RC is faster, but why isn't anyone asking what maybe the problem with Glen4cindy?

RST101 got a good point with the driver-issue and fakeasdf also got a good point with the antivirus...

Glen4cindy,
What antivirus are you using?
Can you see anything abnormal in Taskmanager?
Maybe in Resource-monitor? Maybe screenshot for us?
There must be something causing your RC to perform worse than Beta.

I ain't got any problems myself. Works perfectly for me.
I hope we can solve your problem here before you reinstall Vista.

Greetz Ronald E
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2009   #13

Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Digger View Post
well your word isnt what i want, proof is in the pudding, be it from your system compared side by side with 7000 vs 7100 on same setup with somekind of diagnostics ran, and stress tests... i mean, you havent referenced any of this. Using sandra, mad onion etc... nothing... just a hearsay statement with which holds no water, or no legs to which stand upon.

Just like if you were going to endorse some candidate for election. Dont just tell me he is a good man, tell me what he stands for, whats his views, why you like him, etc etc etc. Remember some guy named Bush also known as "W"?
Do you need a speedometer to tell you your going faster and smother in the Porsche more than you did the mini?

You still don't get it do you. If it's not as stable now then why have I not had to do hard shutdowns like I did with 7000 (several times a day). Why do my games install and play glitch free with 7100 and not 7000? Why do I get smoother game play? Is that not progression

Why did movies freeze but not now. Why could I not play an album without shutting media player down and restarting but can play my massive music collection in one go. All these little bugs have gone!

If my word isn't enough then tough because it's all you get. I will just have to be remembered as the liar.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 May 2009   #14

7600.20510 x86
 
 

I have upgraded 2 systems here incrementally with each release...7000, 7022, 7048, 7057, 7068, 7077, 7100. One is in my specs, the other a P4 1.6 gHz, 768 RDRAM, no HT.

To me, no benchmarks or graphs...only how it felt using them, there has been a slight steady increase in performance and reliability. That being said, the 7000 to start with was excellent. No major problems to speak of in all this testing. I think 7077 is very close to 7100 in terms of performance. I didn't like 7022 because it wasn't possible to use ReadyBoost on it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2009   #15

Windows 7 64-bit (7127) & Mac OS X 10.5.7
 
 

I personally have not had any issues with the RC but I have noticed a lot more posts/threads about this exact thing. People saying the betas were much faster than the RC is for them, which concerns me. The only other builds I have used before RC was 7000 and 7068. 7068 worked fantastically for me, but I've yet to have as much experience with the RC.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ronalde View Post
Everyone says that the RC is faster, but why isn't anyone asking what maybe the problem with Glen4cindy?

RST101 got a good point with the driver-issue and fakeasdf also got a good point with the antivirus...

Glen4cindy,
What antivirus are you using?
Can you see anything abnormal in Taskmanager?
Maybe in Resource-monitor? Maybe screenshot for us?
There must be something causing your RC to perform worse than Beta.

I ain't got any problems myself. Works perfectly for me.
I hope we can solve your problem here before you reinstall Vista.

Greetz Ronald E
Yes! RTS and others, please post more info. Not to go and tell you you're wrong or something, quite the opposite actually. I want to know more about this as well!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2009   #16

Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
I have upgraded 2 systems here incrementally with each release...7000, 7022, 7048, 7057, 7068, 7077, 7100. One is in my specs, the other a P4 1.6 gHz, 768 RDRAM, no HT.

To me, no benchmarks or graphs...only how it felt using them, there has been a slight steady increase in performance and reliability. That being said, the 7000 to start with was excellent. No major problems to speak of in all this testing. I think 7077 is very close to 7100 in terms of performance. I didn't like 7022 because it wasn't possible to use ReadyBoost on it.
That is basically my experience with windows 7 since build 6801(except 7000). But according to some it cant be right because we haven't got a speedometer to prove.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2009   #17

Win 7 Pro x64 x 3, Win 7 Pro x86, Ubuntu 9.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Digger View Post
start menu i see no change. are we talking 2 ms here? are you trying to load a start menu loaded with installed programs from the beta, and a pretty much clean install with not a 3+months use of registry entries and installed/uinstalled programs? You then would see a problem, or an improvement in performance, of course.
I can validate that the search has been worked on under the hood. Not just does or would this affect a start menu, but it affects the loading of multiple files in one folder faster than the 7000, take for example wallpaper, or my pictures library, or a huge music library. Whether the library includes local internal or external drives/folders or also networked indexed locations... it all loads faster, that i wont contest.
As far as ram usuage, actually, i see this as a decrease compared with my application ridden beta system compared against a 50% worth of the same apps that i have installed so far, and notice the ram usuage is horrible. All the same programs, no changes, i am a creature of habit with this, like a robot.
Lastly, i believe this is all due to gfx drivers, tho i have seen a few glitches using the same drivers as 7000 on 7100. This is acceptable in my view as this IS STILL beta. I dont expect perfection, yet. And the .85 recently released drivers were absolutely horrid for my older 6800gt. ran like a old 64mb 440mx
lol, now you are making empirical based claims without statistical information to back it up. All of what I said above is backed up with statistical data I don't need to argue it, feel free to follow the link that has plenty of charts and pretty pictures and tons of numbers, which I love. Sorry bout the drivers, hope they get them back to a happy working state!

Engineering Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2009   #18

XP/win7 x86 build 7127
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RST101 View Post
You still don't get it do you. If it's not as stable now then why have I not had to do hard shutdowns like I did with 7000 (several times a day). Why do my games install and play glitch free with 7100 and not 7000? Why do I get smoother game play? Is that not progression

Why did movies freeze but not now. Why could I not play an album without shutting media player down and restarting but can play my massive music collection in one go. All these little bugs have gone!

If my word isn't enough then tough because it's all you get. I will just have to be remembered as the liar.
Movies never freezed on my end, ever. So if you reread all of your statements reguarding this, one could easily come to the conclusion without walking into your home and jumping on your pc that its software and drivers that you are using that is freezing the pc. Did this occur after a fresh install? or after some weeks/months use of tweaking, installing apps, drivers, codecs on the system. Do a REAL comparision, compare a fresh 7000 against a fresh 7100. Your statements looked to be biased and based on program compatibility, not OS compatibility. And thats not the OS's fault. Its nice for it to be backwards compatible, but... thats up to MS.

Your "testing scenario" from which you base your opinion sounds sketchy to me. Not a controlled environment for a founding of a non-biased fresh install based comparison of the two. This could be due to your MB chipset, northbridge or other. It would be nice to know so. Which could have been a part of the "under the hood" work done by MS not seen by the naked eye. This could be done and possibly visibly seen with the use of benchmarking and stress testing and the likes.

you are not providing a good base, to base your comments statements on.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2009   #19

Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
 
 

Seems most people agree with me that it is quicker and more stable. If you read through the comments you will get the general gist.

Windows 7 build 7100 is superior in every sense of the word over build 7100 on MY computer.

That's all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2009   #20

XP/win7 x86 build 7127
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fakeasdf View Post
lol, now you are making empirical based claims without statistical information to back it up. All of what I said above is backed up with statistical data I don't need to argue it, feel free to follow the link that has plenty of charts and pretty pictures and tons of numbers, which I love. Sorry bout the drivers, hope they get them back to a happy working state!

Engineering Windows 7
i see no "statistics" on your end either

just points claimed by MS


I took this one sentence from the engineering site that shouldnt be overlooked...
Quote:
What sort of feedback are we looking for in the RC? We are primarily focused on monitoring the behavior of the product through the telemetry, and of course making sure we did not introduce any regressions in any dimension from Beta quality
and also this
Quote:
Overall, while many have said that the quality of the Beta was on par with past RCs (remember how some even suggested we release it as final!)
seems as tho i'm not alone as how stable the beta was/is.

another
Quote:
We do not have a “deadline” we are aiming to meet and the quality (in all dimensions) of the product and a smooth finish are the most important criteria for Windows 7. In addition, we have a lot of work going on behind the scenes to build Windows 7 in nearly 100 languages around the world and to make sure all the supporting materials such as our Windows web site, SDK, resource kits, and so on are ready and available in a timely manner.




just a quick example... yesterday, with the signed Windows 7 nvidia .85 drivers reported graphics as losing a .1 of a point in the WEI... and these were final drivers.... Makes no sense either.

Not everyone is going to JUST ONLY install 7 on a brand new rig.

what MS or someone may say how its SUPPOSED to act, doesnt mean that its going to act the way they said it would for all systems the same way. Common knowledge.

Yea, there may have been much more changes done in 7 "RC". But its changes for things that i wont use for quite some time myself, just like alot of users will face. For instance the handwriting, new looking mspaint (big deal), new touch keyboard look (big deal), math recognition (which i tried myself, and its not up to snuff in recognition IMO)


after going over the list, again for the 3rd time, i find that alot of changes could and should have been made prebeta before public got their hands on it. Case in point, the drive letters assignment... Couldnt they have seen this after a "test" of the beta? Things like this make me and say whatever big deal, i already expected that. Wow me a little, give a dog a bone is what i'm saying. Once your lady puts on a nice looking dress(eyecandy), you usually only have to compliment once on how good she looks (hopefully) before you walk out the door and get on your way. I'm saying do all the jumplists and yadda yadda stuff when everything else is working fine. Put out the fires started first, then improve what you already have working... MS seems to have the habit of getting ahead of themselves and rushing things. I doubt i'm the only one to voice or think this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 Beta FAST, 7 RC SLOW




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 Beta FAST, 7 RC SLOW
Thread Forum
SSD fast alone, slow with HDD Hardware & Devices
Desktop wifi slow.Wired desktop Fast.Laptop wifi fast. Network & Sharing
windows 7 used to be fast now extremely slow ?? Performance & Maintenance
Error burning DVD with Windows Explorer: "disc to fast or too slow" General Discussion
Windows 7 Home Premium basic theme is slow but aero theme is fast? Performance & Maintenance
Umm internet went from fast so slow? Network & Sharing
Beta 7 - How to add EAP FAST? Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33