Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Dual Nvidia geforce 9600gts good idea?


03 Aug 2010   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
Dual Nvidia geforce 9600gts good idea?

Hi, I am thinking about getting another Nvida geforce 9600gt and linking them. The only problem is that I cant remember what the cord is that connects them is called. Oh, and Do you think I should do it also??




Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Aug 2010   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

It's called SLI. Make sure your MB supports SLI and you have 2 PCI slots. If when running 2 slots it defaults each to x8, you will lose performance. You would be better served to buy 1 high quality GPU, depending on your actual hardware. There are power issues as well. Here is a link on 2 SLI 9600's for some reference:

HERE

You can update your specs with more detail if you want us to look. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2010   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
It's called SLI. Make sure your MB supports SLI and you have 2 PCI slots. If when running 2 slots it defaults each to x8, you will lose performance. You would be better served to buy 1 high quality GPU, depending on your actual hardware. There are power issues as well. Here is a link on 2 SLI 9600's for some reference:

HERE

You can update your specs with more detail if you want us to look. A Guy
My MB? and I have 3 pci slots
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


03 Aug 2010   #4

7 all the way!
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Internet Badass View Post
Hi, I am thinking about getting another Nvida geforce 9600gt and linking them. The only problem is that I cant remember what the cord is that connects them is called. Oh, and Do you think I should do it also??
if you do that, your build will simply be badass (forgive the pun; it might not be funny ) what's your purpose for doing that? is it for gaming for multiple screens?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2010   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jaypels View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Internet Badass View Post
Hi, I am thinking about getting another Nvida geforce 9600gt and linking them. The only problem is that I cant remember what the cord is that connects them is called. Oh, and Do you think I should do it also??
if you do that, your build will simply be badass (forgive the pun; it might not be funny ) what's your purpose for doing that? is it for gaming for multiple screens?
Gaming mostly. Well i'm thinking about the future, maybe in a couple years, when the nvidia geforce 9600gt will be cheaper (right now runs for about $150), so it matches the performance of
really high end cards. Instead of just getting 1 really high end card. I might do it in shorter time than I think though. A single nvidia geforce 9600gt has two dvi inputs so I wouldnt have to buy another one to do dual screens either.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2010   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

9600gt $150.00? i could of sworn i seen it at staples today for $64.50 on clearance
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Internet Badass View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
It's called SLI. Make sure your MB supports SLI and you have 2 PCI slots. If when running 2 slots it defaults each to x8, you will lose performance. You would be better served to buy 1 high quality GPU, depending on your actual hardware. There are power issues as well. Here is a link on 2 SLI 9600's for some reference:

HERE

You can update your specs with more detail if you want us to look. A Guy
My MB? and I have 3 pci slots
PCI slots are used for other cards, those video cards should use PCIe, which most (cheaper) motherboards only have one of.
The slot should be black, with the PCIs (the ones you can't use) being white.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2010   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Internet Badass View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
It's called SLI. Make sure your MB supports SLI and you have 2 PCI slots. If when running 2 slots it defaults each to x8, you will lose performance. You would be better served to buy 1 high quality GPU, depending on your actual hardware. There are power issues as well. Here is a link on 2 SLI 9600's for some reference:

HERE

You can update your specs with more detail if you want us to look. A Guy
My MB? and I have 3 pci slots
PCI slots are used for other cards, those video cards should use PCIe, which most (cheaper) motherboards only have one of.
The slot should be black, with the PCIs (the ones you can't use) being white.

~Lordbob
I have 2 white pci solts and 4 blue and black pci connectors
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2010   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
9600gt $150.00? i could of sworn i seen it at staples today for $64.50 on clearance
it was probably a 9500gt, those sell for around 75$
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2010   #10

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

9600gt is 150? i got my 9800gt for 110....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Dual Nvidia geforce 9600gts good idea?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Dual Nvidia geforce 9600gts good idea?
Thread Forum
Driver update for NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i? Graphic Cards
NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 dual with another help Graphic Cards
nvidia geforce gt 430 dual fan Graphic Cards
Nvidia's dual-GPU GeForce GTX 59x pictured Graphic Cards
Dual Monitors Crashing = NVIDIA GeForce 315 BSOD Help and Support
nVidia GeForce 8500 GT Dual Screen ? Graphic Cards
W7 nVidia GeForce 7XXX Dual Monitor Support Drivers

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33