Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Having an issue getting both graphics cards to see all 3 monitors?

22 Aug 2010   #1
JohnnyScience

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 
Having an issue getting both graphics cards to see all 3 monitors?

I've had this working before, so I dont know why its giving me an issue now.

Heres a little background info:

Card 1: Asus Nvidia 9600GT (dual video card)
Card 2: Asus Nvidia 9800GT (dual video card)
Three 19" Dell monitors

I had to send card 1 in a couple of weeks ago because it burned out on me and I just received the new one.

I put it in the slot, hooked up the 3rd monitor & only the 1st card was being seen by windows (even though both cards were running)

I've downloaded and installed the new driver for the 9600GT, and did a restart, but still it isnt being seen by windows?

I remember when I first set this sytem up & windows & noticed both cards & all monitors right away, so I was kind of surprised after the driver install & restart it didnt?

Thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Aug 2010   #2
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Bad card?

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #3
JohnnyScience

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 

No the card is good, it works with a monitor, but the problem is the ther card now isn't being recognized?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Aug 2010   #4
JohnnyScience

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 

I should note, oddly enough, its the new refurbed card thats being seen & not card 2 (9800GT) which doesnt make any sense since I didnt do anything at all to card 2 (didnt unplug anything at all from it)

I also did everything while the computer was turned off.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #5
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Perhaps you changed a setting in the BIOS? Either way, go and check that to make sure THAT sees both cards.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #6
LuzTeTT

Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Hi JohnnyScience,

This seems to me like a power issue. Are you sure your PSU is adequate for the dual GPU setup?
What cable configuration do you have? If you are using a splitter, please consider swapping to using three of your GPU ports.

Is there an SLI bridge plugged in? If so, take it out. Your configuration doesn't support an SLI bridge. Make sure SLI is disabled.

Which version NVIDIA drivers are you running? Have you recently updated?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #7
JohnnyScience

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LuzTeTT View Post
Hi JohnnyScience,

This seems to me like a power issue. Are you sure your PSU is adequate for the dual GPU setup?
What cable configuration do you have? If you are using a splitter, please consider swapping to using three of your GPU ports.

Is there an SLI bridge plugged in? If so, take it out. Your configuration doesn't support an SLI bridge. Make sure SLI is disabled.

Which version NVIDIA drivers are you running? Have you recently updated?
No power's not an issue, I've had this up & running before.

I downloaded the most recent driver for the 9600, I didnt do anything to the 9800 because I figured there was no need as it was working fine.

I'll take a look at the BIOS now & see if I can see anything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #8
LuzTeTT

Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnyScience View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LuzTeTT View Post
Hi JohnnyScience,

This seems to me like a power issue. Are you sure your PSU is adequate for the dual GPU setup?
What cable configuration do you have? If you are using a splitter, please consider swapping to using three of your GPU ports.

Is there an SLI bridge plugged in? If so, take it out. Your configuration doesn't support an SLI bridge. Make sure SLI is disabled.

Which version NVIDIA drivers are you running? Have you recently updated?
No power's not an issue, I've had this up & running before.

I downloaded the most recent driver for the 9600, I didnt do anything to the 9800 because I figured there was no need as it was working fine.

I'll take a look at the BIOS now & see if I can see anything.
You had this up and running before... and then it died.
I had my PC running for three years before my PSU faulted and took one of my GPUs. If your power is inadequate for the system, it will cause what is known as power sags which will destroy the most effected device.
Over time, the capacitor aging gets worse and worse. GPUs in an SLI/CrossFire configuration are most likely to fault due to lack of power from capacitor aging, or stop powering altogether.

Though if you are confident your system is perfectly sustainable, it might just be a software issue.
Don't download a driver for your 9600. Head over to the NVIDIA website and download the latest NVIDIA drivers. The file for the 9600 or 9800 is probably identical, but to be sure download which ever is the latest for your 9800.
Uninstall all previous drivers.

If that doesn't solve it, your GPU is probably just not in the PCIe slot properly. Take it out and put it back in.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #9
JohnnyScience

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 

I've got a Rosewill Xtreme with a total power of 630w & Peak power of 730w...

And its in the slot properly because it works with a monitor, but the other card that was already installed and working properly is now not showing up.

But instead of downloading an Nvidia driver, I downloaded an Asus, that may be the issue.

I'm going to download it here shortly & try that out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #10
LuzTeTT

Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnyScience View Post
I've got a Rosewill Xtreme with a total power of 630w & Peak power of 730w...

And its in the slot properly because it works with a monitor, but the other card that was already installed and working properly is now not showing up.

But instead of downloading an Nvidia driver, I downloaded an Asus, that may be the issue.

I'm going to download it here shortly & try that out.
It's better to rule out anything on the hardware side before drawing any conclusions.
Try swapping GPU slots. If Windows can't see both cards together, then it is a hardware issue. Windows should at least say 'Standard VGA Graphics' if it detects a GPU prior to installing the drivers.

If installing the latest NVIDIA GeForce drivers doesn't solve it, take each GPU out and swap their slots. If the same GPU that wasn't working before doing this is still not working, it may have shorted/died just like the other GPU did.

This is evidence of a power issue.
Capacitor aging is inevitable and effects every PC over various years. Especially an SLI system. I have personal experience with the very issue you are having right now, and after various troubleshooting the only thing I could conclude was that it simply couldn't power that much display.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Having an issue getting both graphics cards to see all 3 monitors?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Dual monitors using wrong graphics cards
Setup dell xps 15 l502x laptop, running an intel integrated graphics card and an nVidia GeForce GT 525m dedicated graphics card. Also a VGA plug and play Dell IN1910N monitor connected through a HDMI to VGA converter to the laptops HDMI out port. The problem Each monitor is running off a...
Graphic Cards
Trying to run 3 monitors, with 2 graphics cards Help.
I hope someone on here can help me with this. 1st my set up Gigabyte P55-UD4P with a Intel I5 750 Lynnfield Windows 7 Pro SP1 16 GB of Corsair PC3 10700H (667Mhz) 1TB HD
Graphic Cards
How to use 3 Monitors, Different Branded Graphics Cards
I am currently running 2 monitors on my PC, but I would like to add a third that I had on hand. My computer has an AOD 790 GX/128M Motherboard, with quad-core AMD Phenom II CPU. I currently have a Nvidia NX8800GTX GPU installed, which has my 2 monitors connected to it. I have a graphics card that I...
Graphic Cards
Setting up triple monitors, trying to run 2 graphics cards?
I have done this before for myself without any problems and while bragging to my friend I was roped into setting up his computer with a third monitor. As the system is not mine I am trying to keep costs low and avoid buying anything. In short I am trying to run three monitors, 2 through a...
Graphic Cards
1monitor, 1tv, 2 different graphics cards. Dual Monitors..HELP!
I have a Samsung 530 Series TV. I also have a LG E2370 monitor. I am using a dual link DVI cable to use the 120 hz on my monitor. My 560 TI grphx card has a dual link DVI (which i use for the monitor), but NOT an HDMI output. The 560 TI graphics card has another Dual Link DVI connection, but my TV...
Performance & Maintenance
3 monitors, 2 identical graphics cards, windows 7. Four questions.
Hi everyone. I have researched 3 monitors for a couple of nights and I have come to the conclusion below. I want a basic setup not for gaming and I would like 3 monitors all being independent. I know about ATI Eyefinity but if you want 3 independent displays then you have to use an active...
Graphic Cards

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:51.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App