What I have been doing to get Starcraft 1 to work all the time is the following:
I want to note that I have suggested this many times and everyone hates it but it does work.
1) Reboot your computer. (Do not open any other application, no IE, no iTunes, no Torrent software, no IM, no extras.)
2) If you have tray software, iTunes or IM software that opens automatically EXIT them all.
3) Open a Command Prompt. (Optional)
4) Exit Explorer.exe (all explorer.exe)
5) Play Starcraft 1
6) Reboot computer. (via Command Prompt if open)
This seems to work every time, without lockups, crashes, color issues etc. etc.
I get a lot of static because people don't want to reboot twice, but it works! -WS