Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Could my PCIx16 slot be the cause of 3 bad graphics card fans?


06 Oct 2010   #1

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 
Could my PCIx16 slot be the cause of 3 bad graphics card fans?

Ok I've got an Asus mobo, this one in fact:

Newegg.com - ASUS P5K EPU LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

I've had this mobo for the last two years without any problems.

Over the last year or so, my first Asus 9600GT graphics card went bad (the fan warped & stopped working, causing it to overheat a lot)

Then I got the new one & ran that one for maybe almost a year and then the same thing happened, the fan warped & went bad.

Now I cant not say for sure which slot the 1st bad graphics card was in, if it was in #1 or #2

But I can say for sure that the 2nd time it was in PCIx16 1

Now I've received the 3rd card & installed it in PCIx16 1 and within a little while, I noticed the card was giving off a lot of heat, I unplugged it and upon closer inspection I see the fan was slightly warped again.

I will also say that I didnt inspect the card when I got it to be sure everything was ok, maybe they sent me another bad card...?

Now the fan still turns smoothly, but you can see it starting to cock up & become warped.

I've since talked to Asus again 7 they are doing another RMA for me, so the graphics card is covered.

But I'd like to get to the bottom of things and fix the root of the problem.

Do you think in any way possible it is the PCIx16 1 slot making it go bad?

I talked to the guy at Asus about it & he said it isnt likely as the slot just transfer data & said perhaps it was my power supply.

Here is my power supply:

Newegg.com - Rosewill RX630-S-B 630W ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

It's only 2 years old as well and powers A LOT of other stuff within my computer without any problems or hiccups at all ever.

So I'm reluctant to blame it on the power supply... but you never know.

Ideas?

Thanks.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Oct 2010   #2

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 

Any ideas?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2010   #3

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

what sort of cooler and fan have you got on your cpu and\or in your case?

maybe you've got a seriously hot box and need to add extra air-flow?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Oct 2010   #4

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mickey megabyte View Post
what sort of cooler and fan have you got on your cpu and\or in your case?

maybe you've got a seriously hot box and need to add extra air-flow?
EAch video card has its own fan, there is 1 fan blowing in underneath the hard drives, 1 fan pulling air out the back & then of course the power supply fan is pulling air

Heat has never been an issue with things. This is really the only problem I've had with it.

Are my chances more on having 3 bad fans on graphics card vs. a bad pci slot?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2010   #5

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

having three bad fans is highly unlikely - but so is having a pci-e slot that can damage fans.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2010   #6

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mickey megabyte View Post
having three bad fans is highly unlikely - but so is having a pci-e slot that can damage fans.
Thats what I'm saying...

And I really dont think its the power supply either
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2010   #7
Microsoft MVP

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64 bit
 
 

If it was a problem with the PCIe slot not suppling enough power to run the fan I think you would have other problems. You would be having other graphics related problems. Does the 9800 have the extra power connector on it, and if it does do you have the required power cable plugged into it? I think the first thing I would do is see what kind of case temps you have. Depending on what program you use you could probably see your vid card temps and hard drive temps if they have temp sensors in them. I usually just run the utility bundled on motherboard CD, and I'm really not up to speed on what is good and what isn't so I'll let someone else recommend something. I'm on my third GT220, the first one was DOA out of the box. The fan didn't work at all and the card went undetected in BIOS or windows. The replacement for that one worked but the fan buzzed and didn't run at full speed. Third times a charm I guess because the last one has been fine for almost a year now. They were made by BFG so if this one dies I'll be going to a different manufacturer anyway. It kind of sounds like Asus got a bad batch of fans.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2010   #8

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
If it was a problem with the PCIe slot not suppling enough power to run the fan I think you would have other problems. You would be having other graphics related problems. Does the 9800 have the extra power connector on it, and if it does do you have the required power cable plugged into it? I think the first thing I would do is see what kind of case temps you have. Depending on what program you use you could probably see your vid card temps and hard drive temps if they have temp sensors in them. I usually just run the utility bundled on motherboard CD, and I'm really not up to speed on what is good and what isn't so I'll let someone else recommend something. I'm on my third GT220, the first one was DOA out of the box. The fan didn't work at all and the card went undetected in BIOS or windows. The replacement for that one worked but the fan buzzed and didn't run at full speed. Third times a charm I guess because the last one has been fine for almost a year now. They were made by BFG so if this one dies I'll be going to a different manufacturer anyway. It kind of sounds like Asus got a bad batch of fans.
Yeah the 9800 has the same 6 prong power plug to it that the 9600 does (different power cords of course, but both 6 prong)

I dont know, I was blaming the cards till I thought the mobo was bad...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2010   #9
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Any chance of a couple of decent pictures of the inside of the case?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2010   #10

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
Any chance of a couple of decent pictures of the inside of the case?
Gave me a chance to use my new iPhone 4

The center cable mass might look like a mess... but there is nothing that can be done about it, its just a busy intersection for cables. But the nice thing is that only cables reside in that area.

You will see the blue PCI slot towards the top left


Attached Thumbnails
Could my PCIx16 slot be the cause of 3 bad graphics card fans?-photo.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Could my PCIx16 slot be the cause of 3 bad graphics card fans?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Could my PCIx16 slot be the cause of 3 bad graphics card fans?
Thread Forum
Solved PCI-E x16 Graphics Card to Fit a PCI-E slot. Graphic Cards
What Graphics card slot is hp media center pc m7067c? Graphic Cards
Solved pci-e 2.0 graphics card compatible to pci-e 3.0 slot Hardware & Devices
Solved want a low cost graphics card for pcie x1 slot Graphic Cards
Is this the slot for a graphics card? (Other questions as well) Graphic Cards
Graphics card heat sink blocking PCI slot Hardware & Devices
Graphics Card/ PCI-E Slot Issue On Boot-up Graphic Cards

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33