Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Optiplex 760 dual monitors to work in 7


08 Dec 2010   #1
AaronZ

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 
Optiplex 760 dual monitors to work in 7

My work PC was just reimaged (10 days later) with Windows 7. Now my onboard video card is not working but the PCI Geforce 4 MX is working as a Standard VGA Adapter. I am only seeing 1 monitor and updating the Intel Q43 display driver does not fix the issue. I went into BIOS and the Primary adapter is set for AUTO. I am going to change this to Onboard tomorrow to see if that makes a difference. Other than that I am extremely happy with Windows 7 being on my computer. It is so much faster.

Please Help!!!

I am afraid that my work is going to need to buy another video card but I am sure there is a way to get this working.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Dec 2010   #2
mckillwashere

Windows 7 x86/x64, Server 2008r2, Web Server 2008
 
 

Welcome to the forums AaronZ,
Have you check to see if it gives you the option to extend your current desktop?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2010   #3
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AaronZ View Post
My work PC was just reimaged (10 days later) with Windows 7. Now my onboard video card is not working but the PCI Geforce 4 MX is working as a Standard VGA Adapter. I am only seeing 1 monitor and updating the Intel Q43 display driver does not fix the issue. I went into BIOS and the Primary adapter is set for AUTO. I am going to change this to Onboard tomorrow to see if that makes a difference. Other than that I am extremely happy with Windows 7 being on my computer. It is so much faster.

Please Help!!!

I am afraid that my work is going to need to buy another video card but I am sure there is a way to get this working.
The issue here is, you cannot use the Standard VGA Adapter for dual monitors. You need to download the drivers for your video card. You can get them from Dell at:

Welcome to Dell Support
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2010   #4
AaronZ

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mckillwashere View Post
Welcome to the forums AaronZ,
Have you check to see if it gives you the option to extend your current desktop?
Not an option, only 1 monitor is detected. If that was an option, 7 would automatically clone my desktop onto the 2nd monitor.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AaronZ View Post
My work PC was just reimaged (10 days later) with Windows 7. Now my onboard video card is not working but the PCI Geforce 4 MX is working as a Standard VGA Adapter. I am only seeing 1 monitor and updating the Intel Q43 display driver does not fix the issue. I went into BIOS and the Primary adapter is set for AUTO. I am going to change this to Onboard tomorrow to see if that makes a difference. Other than that I am extremely happy with Windows 7 being on my computer. It is so much faster.

Please Help!!!

I am afraid that my work is going to need to buy another video card but I am sure there is a way to get this working.
The issue here is, you cannot use the Standard VGA Adapter for dual monitors. You need to download the drivers for your video card. You can get them from Dell at:

Welcome to Dell Support
Not an option because the add-on call was not installed at time of manufacturing. There are NO working drivers for my video card that work in 7. I guess I need to have them get me another video card or a monitor that supports HDMI input.

Edit: It comes down to this. Either A) They replace the video card or B) they get a Displayport to VGA adapter cord or C) They buy me 1 huge monitor.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2010   #5
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

If you get the PCI\VEN number for the video card you can search google for the card type\name. Then go to the manufactures web site and download the drivers for the video card.

Device Manager | Display Adapters | {Your Video Card}, Right Click, Properties -> Details Tab -> Property (Pull Down). Highlight the Value, typically the second from the top and then CTRL-C. Paste that into google and find the card type\name.


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2010   #6
AaronZ

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Update: So I explained the issue with the Desktop group and they gave me a PCI Express card. I thought ROCK! I am set. However if a PCI Express card is installed in this POS, it will override the onboard video card. This is why I have NEVER and NEVER plan to buy a pre-built computer for my personal use.

I appreciate the help but I am going to request a larger monitor. 17" is just tooooo small.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2010   #7
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AaronZ View Post
Update: So I explained the issue with the Desktop group and they gave me a PCI Express card. I thought ROCK! I am set. However if a PCI Express card is installed in this POS, it will override the onboard video card. This is why I have NEVER and NEVER plan to buy a pre-built computer for my personal use.

I appreciate the help but I am going to request a larger monitor. 17" is just tooooo small.

Check the BIOS setting on your Dell, in some cases you can change the setting to use "Both" video cards. Dell typically will set video to "Auto" so the average user will not have to change anything when they install an add-on video card. -WS
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2010   #8
AaronZ

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Thanks WS. I was instructed to update to a BIOS that was released 8 days ago. I will give that a try and cross my fingers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 May 2012   #9
timmaleyer

windows 7 enterprise 64bit
 
 
mini dell optiplex 760 with Radeon hd5450

Hi, I'm have a dell optiplex760 (mini) and i need a second monitor as extended, so I bought a Radeon HD5450 (PCI express 2.1 bus of 512mb) with a Y cable of an end, VGA the other end of DVI. any time i fix the two cables. it shut down the other one(VGA)PLease what can i do...... urgent
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2012   #10
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

@timmaleyer

Welcome to Seven Forums.

This is an extremely old thread, you would be much better off starting a new thread so everyone will read it and have a chance to help you. Since this is a closed complete thread no one will read it. I only saw it because I was part of it when it was active and it showed up in my list of threads with new messages.

Thanks -WS
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Optiplex 760 dual monitors to work in 7




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App