Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: GeForce 9500GT On A Crappy PC.

24 Jan 2011   #31

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Retail
 
 

People seem to prefer evga but Ive always had Asus (well.. my local shop down here in belgium doesn't have evga (yet))

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Jan 2011   #32

Windows Ultimate 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WolfSoul View Post
People seem to prefer evga but Ive always had Asus (well.. my local shop down here in belgium doesn't have evga (yet))
Am going to do a bit more research on this card. (EVGA GT430)
It looks like it's wayy better than the 9500GT.
More bang for the buck?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2011   #33

Windows Ultimate 64 Bit
 
 

I know am double posting,
Sorry for bumping for I just have a couple of more questions.

I came to a conclusion to buy all these parts for upgrades.

Graphics
XFX Radeon HD 5670 1GB DDR5
$99.99 + $4.99 Shipping

Power Supply
Antec EarthWatts 500W +12V RAILS
$49.99

Memory
CORSAIR 2x1GB DDR2 667
$35.99 + $0.99 Shipping

Thermal Compound
ARCTIC COOLING MX-2
$8.98 + $1.99 Shipping

I decided to get the XFX 5670 DDR5 1GB instead.
GT 430 was already going to be $80 bucks so am not going to regret $30 more.

But, the mobo of my computer only has these available PCI-PCI-E slots:
(1/2) x PCI slots
(1/1) x PCI-E x16 slot
(1/1) x PCI-E x1 slot


My question is if the XFX 5670 will work on my PC?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Jan 2011   #34

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MarcosFabian View Post
I know am double posting,
Sorry for bumping for I just have a couple of more questions.

I came to a conclusion to buy all these parts for upgrades.

Graphics
XFX Radeon HD 5670 1GB DDR5
$99.99 + $4.99 Shipping

Power Supply
Antec EarthWatts 500W +12V RAILS
$49.99

Memory
CORSAIR 2x1GB DDR2 667
$35.99 + $0.99 Shipping

Thermal Compound
ARCTIC COOLING MX-2
$8.98 + $1.99 Shipping

I decided to get the XFX 5670 DDR5 1GB instead.
GT 430 was already going to be $80 bucks so am not going to regret $30 more.

But, the mobo of my computer only has these available PCI-PCI-E slots:
(1/2) x PCI slots
(1/1) x PCI-E x16 slot
(1/1) x PCI-E x1 slot

My question is if the XFX 5670 will work on my PC?
It ought to work in the PCI-E X16 slot. (It's a PCI-E 2.1 X16 card, but backwards compatible with the older X16 slots.)

I'm not sure that you'll gain much in buying the 1GB version, but as it's only about $20 more than the 512MB version, why not?

What's the Arctic Cooling MX-2 for? Are you refreshing the thermal compound on your CPU?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2011   #35

Windows Ultimate 64 Bit
 
 

Well,
I've done more research lately and am sure it should be compatible.

Does it make any difference between 1GB or 512MB?

Am getting thermal compound so I can replace the heatsink with a stock intel heatsink.
I just think that that the intel heatsink is better than mines.

Here's a picture of the PC
http://i56.tinypic.com/2jam6hg.jpg
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2011   #36

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

1GB of video RAM is useful in 3D games running at high screen resolutions. I don't know how much use it would be with with a 5670, particularly when driven by a wimpy CPU.

I also don't know whether a stock Intel CPU would be an advance over the heatsink/fan in your setup. The Intel HS/F isn't known for high performance.

You obviously want to play. Don't get too carried away with expenses on that old system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2011   #37

Windows Ultimate 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
1GB of video RAM is useful in 3D games running at high screen resolutions. I don't know how much use it would be with with a 5670, particularly when driven by a wimpy CPU.

I also don't know whether a stock Intel CPU would be an advance over the heatsink/fan in your setup. The Intel HS/F isn't known for high performance.

You obviously want to play. Don't get too carried away with expenses on that old system.
True,
Am getting a 512MB graphics card instead.
So that will save me $20 for a better heatsink.
This one:
Newegg.com - EVERCOOL HPFI-10025 100mm Ever Lubricate CPU Cooler

The PC is not that old,
It's just outdated.
IMO
But all in good time, I might be getting a job soon on this kinds of things in which I enjoy doing.
So am sure in the near future I will build many better PC's then this one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2011   #38

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MarcosFabian View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
1GB of video RAM is useful in 3D games running at high screen resolutions. I don't know how much use it would be with with a 5670, particularly when driven by a wimpy CPU.

I also don't know whether a stock Intel CPU would be an advance over the heatsink/fan in your setup. The Intel HS/F isn't known for high performance.

You obviously want to play. Don't get too carried away with expenses on that old system.
True,
Am getting a 512MB graphics card instead.
So that will save me $20 for a better heatsink.
This one:
Newegg.com - EVERCOOL HPFI-10025 100mm Ever Lubricate CPU Cooler

The PC is not that old,
It's just outdated.
IMO
But all in good time, I might be getting a job soon on this kinds of things in which I enjoy doing.
So am sure in the near future I will build many better PC's then this one.
I'm not familiar with that heatsink, but it looks like a good deal. There's a popular one out there:

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

(Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus), but It's about $38 shipped, vs. $22 for the Evercool unit.

I doubt than a new HS/F is needed, unless your PC permits overclocking. Most appliance PCs don't.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2011   #39

Windows Ultimate 64 Bit
 
 

Am not going to overclock because, so I rather stick with the Evercool heatsink. It`s going to be a major upgrade than what I have now for a great value
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2011   #40

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by toothbrusher View Post
if youre not going to overclock dont get an aftermarket cooler, just use the stock cooler that comes with the processor.

and for your processor i would go amd, amd is cheaper than intel, for similar performance.

ati usually has the best price for performance card thus having a budget gamer in mind.

get something better or matching with a 48xx card or a 57xx card, make sure that it has ddr5 memory as it is better than ddr3 (let alone ddr2).
anything below that you wont be happy with.. destroys a good gaming experience and the money spent (for a cheap card) just isnt worth it.

if i were you i would get a Newegg.com - HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity (130 dollars for 800 stream processing units made by a high quality manufacturer, with mail in rebate you get it for 99 dollars.).

and also, get a card from a true ati manufacturer (dont buy from powercolor, biostar or those cheap things, even if the reviews are great, dont buy from those. the money that you save from those cards is not worth the headache taht might come with the cheapness involving the creation of such a card).

i recommend sapphire(my opinion), or xfx(good warranty) and HIS(best cooling) brands.

You forgot about DIAMOND lol that brand has been around and i been useing nothing but diamond also a few xfx cards as well
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 GeForce 9500GT On A Crappy PC.




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: GeForce 9500GT On A Crappy PC.
Thread Forum
My crappy Acer case PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Several BSODs - NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT supected (Win7 pro x64) BSOD Help and Support
My graphics card driver keeps failing (GeForce 9500GT) Graphic Cards
Have you had enough of the crappy 80s cartoon movies? Chillout Room
Scambled Images / NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT Graphic Cards
What about GeForce 9500GT 512mb 128bits? Graphic Cards
CPU Upgrade? What to get for this old crappy socket... Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33