Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 Doesn't Recognize NVIDIA Graphics Card

30 Jan 2011   #1
technomann

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 
Windows 7 Doesn't Recognize NVIDIA Graphics Card

I have been looking for a Windows 7 driver for a NVIDIA Geforce Go 6800
for an Alienware Area-51 M7700 laptop. Every driver that I download from NVIDIA's website gives me the error message during the installation that it cannot find a
driver compatible with my hardware. Windows 7 has installed a generic "standard VGA adapter" which does not allow for aero functionality. Any suggestions as to how I could resolve this issue would be GREATLY appreciated!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
30 Jan 2011   #2
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

This driver is a 32bit only driver, for windows XP, and will not install on a 64bit OS ...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2011   #3
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

You'd best check with Alienware. Graphics devices in laptop PCs often have custom device IDs, which may cause the generic nVidia installer to fail to recognize your hardware.

Unfortunately, Alienware doesn't list any drivers for Vist X64 or Win7. The Go 6800 ought to be able to support Windows 7, but that doesn't mean that compatible drivers exist.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Jan 2011   #4
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Modded to work with almost all Nvidia laptop GPU's,

Drivers | drivers for mobile cards and laptops | laptopvideo2go.com

For something as old as the 6800 series I would probably go for a slightly older driver than the latest, probably somthing from the 19x.xx series,

19x Series GeForce Driver Releases - LaptopVideo2Go Forums
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2011   #5
technomann

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
Modded to work with almost all Nvidia laptop GPU's,

Drivers | drivers for mobile cards and laptops | laptopvideo2go.com

For something as old as the 6800 series I would probably go for a slightly older driver than the latest, probably somthing from the 19x.xx series,

19x Series GeForce Driver Releases - LaptopVideo2Go Forums
Thanks so much for the link to this site. I have downloaded several possible candidates for the NVIDIA graphics card on my Alienware M7700 machine, but upon attempted installation I always get the same error message: "The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware."

This is driving me nuts! Does ANYBODY have a clue as to why Windows 7 will not recognize my NVIDIA graphics card???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2011   #6
technomann

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
You'd best check with Alienware. Graphics devices in laptop PCs often have custom device IDs, which may cause the generic nVidia installer to fail to recognize your hardware.

Unfortunately, Alienware doesn't list any drivers for Vist X64 or Win7. The Go 6800 ought to be able to support Windows 7, but that doesn't mean that compatible drivers exist.
The Alienware site doesn't seem to have ANY graphics drivers for either Vista or Win 7. So I tried a couple of drivers for my specific NVIDIA card that were intended for Windows XP or Windows 2000. Much to my surprise-- it worked! I get better screen resolution, but I am still getting the error message that the video card driver does not support aero effects... I would really like to enable aero on this Alienware machine, but it doesn't look like the hardware will support it...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2011   #7
technomann

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by technomann View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
You'd best check with Alienware. Graphics devices in laptop PCs often have custom device IDs, which may cause the generic nVidia installer to fail to recognize your hardware.

Unfortunately, Alienware doesn't list any drivers for Vist X64 or Win7. The Go 6800 ought to be able to support Windows 7, but that doesn't mean that compatible drivers exist.
The Alienware site doesn't seem to have ANY graphics drivers for either Vista or Win 7. So I tried a couple of drivers for my specific NVIDIA card that were intended for Windows XP or Windows 2000. Much to my surprise-- it worked! I get better screen resolution, but I am still getting the error message that the video card driver does not support aero effects... I would really like to enable aero on this Alienware machine, but it doesn't look like the hardware will support it...
I would like to upgrade the NVIDIA graphics card in this Alienware M7700 laptop PC. Can anyone suggest a graphics card that would be a compatible upgrade for this machine? Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2011   #8
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

I know nothing about Alienware laptops. I see that the M7700 was expensive in its day. I see that it uses a discrete graphics card.

A little Googling found:

http://www.ztronics.com/video-cards.html

I have never done business with this outfit, but they list a number of Geforce 7 cards as compatible with the M7700. They're generations old, but at least you may get Win7 driver support.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2011   #9
technomann

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
I know nothing about Alienware laptops. I see that the M7700 was expensive in its day. I see that it uses a discrete graphics card.

A little Googling found:

http://www.ztronics.com/video-cards.html

I have never done business with this outfit, but they list a number of Geforce 7 cards as compatible with the M7700. They're generations old, but at least you may get Win7 driver support.
Wow! Great Googling! Great site! Thanks for the info-- much appreciated!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2011   #10
Aravaipa

Windows 7 Ulimate x64, Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Technomann.....I also have an Alienware M7700 that I installed Windows 7 on. Like you did, I am also searching for a driver that will work with the Nividia 6800Go graphics card. Evidently,you found a driver that will work (albeit without aero effects). Which specific driver did you use? Your help and direction are greatly appreciated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 Doesn't Recognize NVIDIA Graphics Card




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Random restarts with AMD graphics card but not Nvidia graphics card
Hi for the last 4 months ive been trying to fix a problem that ive been having with my computer. about 4 months ago I did a major pc upgrade where i replaced my motherboard, processor, ram, heat sink, power supply and case, the only things I used from the original computer where 2 HDD's, 1 SDD and...
Graphic Cards
Windows 7 x64 Will Not Recognize My NVIDIA 8800M GTS Graphics Card
I have a Gateway P-172S FX. I was running Vista 32bit and just switched to 7 Ultimate 64bit. Everything seems to be working great, except it doesn't see my Nvidia GeForce 8800m GTS graphics card (I printed my hardware specs right before I moved to Win 7). When I go to my Device Manager, under...
Graphic Cards
Windows 7 Doesn't Recognize My Graphics Card
Hi All! I have a nvidia graphics card (Not sure what kind, It's part of the problem) and windows 7 does not recognize it. It branded my computer with "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter." I was wondering if there is anyway to check my graphics card in this state or fix this problem without...
Graphic Cards
Windows cant recognize graphics card
I installed Windows 7 64-bit but the graphics card is apparently the standard VGA graphics adapter. Dxdiag stuff: ------------------ System Information ------------------ Time of this report: 7/16/2010, 13:56:44 Machine name: JOSH-PC Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium...
Graphic Cards
Windows 7 Doesn't Detect nVidia Graphics Card
Hello, I recently performed a clean install of Windows 7 x64 Ultimate onto my computer. While doing so, I had to unplug my graphics card and use the onboard video, otherwise I'd get an error about unexpected restarts. After installing, Windows 7 doesn't detect the graphics card (the card works,...
Graphic Cards
Windows 7 Does Not Recognize my Nvidia Graphics Card
I just installed Windows 7 Professional x64 yesterday, and It will not recognize my 512MB Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT hardware. Therefore I am unable to install any drivers, as it does not recognize the hardware at all. Is there a fix for this or will I have to wait until HP officially recognizes...
Graphic Cards

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:28.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App