Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Wonky Screen Corruption Problem


27 Jun 2009   #1

Windows 7 RC 1
 
 
Wonky Screen Corruption Problem

I have a strange screen problem with default UAC settings (and it often appears, to a lesser degree, during boot)

Black (or white) streaks, missing or broken lines when the desktop is dimmed to show a system message. If, in UAC, I choose "Don't Dim Desktop"... the problem goes away when messages appear. The regular desktop is fine. This only happens when the boot screens are shown, and when the UAC is allowed to dim the desktop.

I have an ASRock 4CoreDual SATA2, eVGA 7600GS on AGP (sorry, can't go to PCIe right now,) 2GB of ram. This happened under both the Win 7 Beta and RC1, which I'm running now. Any thoughts?






My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Jun 2009   #2

Windows 7 Home Basic 64bit
 
 

Hi johnsag49, and welcome to SevenForums.

From the description and the screenshots you posted, i think the problem you are experiencing could be caused by a number of things :

- Bad or outdated graphics driver installed - - - try to find and download the latest driver for your graphics card

- Try to find latest driver for your monitor

- Your graphics card could be overheating or dieing
read my post here weird display problem on games about similar graphics corruption problem

- Your monitor could be malfunctioning


That is all i can think of right now, if i think of anything else i will post it here.

Hope this helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2009   #3

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
display problem

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johnsag49 View Post
I have a strange screen problem with default UAC settings (and it often appears, to a lesser degree, during boot)

Black (or white) streaks, missing or broken lines when the desktop is dimmed to show a system message. If, in UAC, I choose "Don't Dim Desktop"... the problem goes away when messages appear. The regular desktop is fine. This only happens when the boot screens are shown, and when the UAC is allowed to dim the desktop.

I have an ASRock 4CoreDual SATA2, eVGA 7600GS on AGP (sorry, can't go to PCIe right now,) 2GB of ram. This happened under both the Win 7 Beta and RC1, which I'm running now. Any thoughts?




HI
Does this only happen with uac meeage or does it happan at other times?

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Jun 2009   #4

Windows 7 RC 1
 
 

Thanks for the speedy replies:

It only happens when I allow the UAC to dim the desktop, and to a much, much lesser extent on just the boot up screen. During normal operation, I have no artifacts whatsoever.

I dual boot, Win XP Pro SP3 and Win 7 (sep hard drives)

I have a beefy (aftermarket) cooler on the graphics card, so I don't know that overheating would be an issue. I cleaned the fins yesterday.

I installed the latest driver for my card available on eVGA's web site.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2009   #5

Windows 7 RC 1
 
 

This may help as well:

Here's all the info from "Components:"

Name NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_02E1&SUBSYS_A5423842&REV_A2\4&354AEA31&0&0008
Adapter Type GeForce 7600 GS, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
Adapter RAM 256.00 MB (268,435,456 bytes)
Installed Drivers nvd3dum.dll
Driver Version 8.15.11.8585
INF File oem5.inf (Section001 section)
Color Planes Not Available
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1440 x 900 x 59 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xFD000000-0xFDFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xFC000000-0xFEAFFFFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 16
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys (8.15.11.8585, 9.39 MB (9,850,016 bytes), 4/30/2009 10:02 PM)


My exact motherboard (ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 LGA 775 VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra ATX Intel Motherboard)can be seen here:
Newegg.com - ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 LGA 775 VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

My exact videocard ( EVGA 256-A8-N542-T2 GeForce 7600GS 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card ) can be seen here:
Newegg.com - EVGA 256-A8-N542-T2 GeForce 7600GS 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version? 32-bit
Was it a "clean" install or an upgrade? clean, on separate hard drive
Are you dual-booting? yes, Win XP Pro SP3 is on another HD
Are you suing the official RC directly from Microsoft? yes, official RC 1
Did this occur immediately after install? Yes, on both the RC and the Beta
Do you recall installing any software that may have caused the problem? No, it has happened on both right away (very first boot)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2009   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
screen prob

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johnsag49 View Post
This may help as well:

Here's all the info from "Components:"

Name NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_02E1&SUBSYS_A5423842&REV_A2\4&354AEA31&0&0008
Adapter Type GeForce 7600 GS, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
Adapter RAM 256.00 MB (268,435,456 bytes)
Installed Drivers nvd3dum.dll
Driver Version 8.15.11.8585
INF File oem5.inf (Section001 section)
Color Planes Not Available
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1440 x 900 x 59 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xFD000000-0xFDFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xFC000000-0xFEAFFFFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 16
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys (8.15.11.8585, 9.39 MB (9,850,016 bytes), 4/30/2009 10:02 PM)


My exact motherboard (ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 LGA 775 VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra ATX Intel Motherboard)can be seen here:
Newegg.com - ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 LGA 775 VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

My exact videocard ( EVGA 256-A8-N542-T2 GeForce 7600GS 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card ) can be seen here:
Newegg.com - EVGA 256-A8-N542-T2 GeForce 7600GS 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version? 32-bit
Was it a "clean" install or an upgrade? clean, on separate hard drive
Are you dual-booting? yes, Win XP Pro SP3 is on another HD
Are you suing the official RC directly from Microsoft? yes, official RC 1
Did this occur immediately after install? Yes, on both the RC and the Beta
Do you recall installing any software that may have caused the problem? No, it has happened on both right away (very first boot)
Do you have quicktime and direct x installed
Thanks for the info it will help

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2009   #7

Windows 7 RC 1
 
 

I'm not 100% sure about quicktime or directX, whatever is the standard install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2009   #8

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
screen probs

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johnsag49 View Post
I'm not 100% sure about quicktime or directX, whatever is the standard install.
It could also be a heat problem or a dust problem but im still leaning towards vid driver.

I dont have that brand of videobut I will do a google search for it and screen probs and if i come up with something i will reply

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2009   #9

Windows 7 RC 1
 
 

Interesting.

I completely uninstalled the nvidia drivers... right now I'm running on crappy 1024x768. Under both Aero themes and regular, "classic" themes, no problems at all. No screen artifacts, even on the boot screens. The resolution and colors are a bit off, but there's nothing fragmented or out of place.

What gives??!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2009   #10

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
Screen prob

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johnsag49 View Post
Interesting.

I completely uninstalled the nvidia drivers... right now I'm running on crappy 1024x768. Under both Aero themes and regular, "classic" themes, no problems at all. No screen artifacts, even on the boot screens. The resolution and colors are a bit off, but there's nothing fragmented or out of place.

What gives??!
Well at least you know its a driver issue. Could you tell us whet driver and version it was (without installing it) to see if someone has a newer or different version.

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Wonky Screen Corruption Problem




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Wonky Screen Corruption Problem
Thread Forum
Solved New SSD,wonky boot up Installation & Setup
My Microsoft Arc Mouse is acting wonky.......... Hardware & Devices
Graphics screen corruption - random noise, flickers,etc BSOD Help and Support
Wonky Library view General Discussion
Windows 7 sp1 installation problem, checkSUR log file with corruption Windows Updates & Activation
Solved Welcome screen corruption General Discussion
Star Wars Forces of Corruption Problem With Multiplayer Gaming

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33