|18 Feb 2011||#1|
| || |
Problem with OpenGL - Windows 7 overrides Intel driver
Hello, this is my first post to Windows 7 Forums. Hope this is the correct place to post this question as although it is video related, it is not a graphic card as such, instead the GPU is integrated into the i3 CPU.
Description of the issues:
I am having issues running a game called ‘Minecraft’ on a Toshiba laptop which I recently purchased for my son.
The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L635 and has an Intel i3-380M CPU. It is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit which came pre-installed.
Here is what I have discovered so far:
1. Minecraft needs to be able to use the pixel acceleration extensions of OpenGL 2.0 to run
2. The i3 380M fully supports OpenGL 2.1
3. There is nothing about the hardware or system design of the Toshiba L635 which would prevent the i3 running OpenGL 2.1 (this was confirmed by Toshiba tech support)
4. It doesn’t seem to matter if I install the Toshiba customized intel driver (22.214.171.1246) or the latest Intel generic display driver (126.96.36.1999) because OpenGL Extension Viewer tells me that my computer is still only running the ‘Microsoft Genric display driver’ for OpenGL (1.1.0).
5. Minecraft will not run with the 1.1.0 version and fails with the messages: ‘Bad video card drivers!. Minecraft was unable to start because it failed to find accelerated OpenGL mode'
6. When I remove the Toshiba/Intel and the Intel generic driver, my computer reboots and almost immediately it reinstalls the built-in, Microsoft generic display driver (i.e. the one where presumably the OpenGL 1.1.0 is coming from)
7. I have been trying to stop Windows installing it’s generic driver, but have been unsucessful in all my attempts. I need to stop Windows automatically installing it’s genric driver, so I can install the Intel driver manually myself.
I have read that Windows 7 has ‘UAC’ (User Access Control) which can be used to prevent this sort of automatic driver install. However, my computer came with Windows 7 home Premium installed, and Home Premium does not include UAC. (only comes with Ultimate and Enterprise editions)
Does any one know of a solution to the above?
Thanks in advance for your help
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Problem with OpenGL - Windows 7 overrides Intel driver|
|nvidia opengl driver error code 3||Graphic Cards|
|OpenGL issue when running Half Life, or HL mods. Intel GM965.||Graphic Cards|
|Tried to update graphics card driver, now opengl is broken||Graphic Cards|
|Intel GM965 and OpenGL||Graphic Cards|
|Intel GMA 4500M (openGL)||Graphic Cards|
|ATI Driver Fix For HL1 Games in OpenGL Mode!||Graphic Cards|
|Windows 7 64-bit OpenGL Catalyst problem||Drivers|
|Our Sites ||Site Links ||About Us ||Find Us |
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 AM.