Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: W7 Extended Display - should be ez, but its not


07 May 2011   #1

 
 
W7 Extended Display - should be ez, but its not

Windows 7 Pro 64bit
ATI HD Radeon 5770 with latest catalyst software & Drivers (4/27/11)
6 GB Mem
Intel core 2cpu 6600 @2.4Ghz

Display #2: Phillips 202p73, good quality CRT Monitor
---- resolution: 1920 x 1440 @85hz

Display #1: Sony Bravia HDTV attached via HDMI cable
---- resolution: I forget, but less than the Phillips

#2 is actually my PC monitor that I used 90% of the time. My Vid Card must have detected the #1 & #2 backwards. ? All display modes work. In duplication mode my PC monitor takes the lower resolution of the HDTV. When I run in extended mode, my task bar and other functions show up on the HDTV, not on the main PC monitor so it's tricky to navigate. To put it another way, when using the "Display Switch" shortcut (WINKEY+P) the "Computer" and "Projector" designations have switched places. In a nutshell, I'd like to switch my #1 & #2 designations. OR, I want to make my #2 display show the windows task bar when I go into extended mode.

I have NEVER been able to check the "make this my display" box, no matter what I do or how I run it. It's visible but greyed out. I'm not very familiar with the catalyst software, but maybe there's a solution there?

I feel I'm missing something obvious. Please help!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 May 2011   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

It sounds like you might want to switch which head your "main" monitor is hooked up to.

ATI cards detect monitors in the following order:

DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort. HOWEVER, if the BOTTOM/board-side DVI is empty, HDMI will come first, then TOP DVI second.

Make sure your main monitor is on the bottom/board-side DVI port on your card.

Also, try setting your display settings to your liking in the Catalyst Control Center (CCC) and see if that helps.

Update: To find the settings you're looking for in the latest CCC, see this image:



One and or two should work to your liking.

UPDATE 2: Now that I think about it, do you have a single-slot 5770? (Has 1 DVI and 1 VGA, not two DVI)?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 May 2011   #3

 
 

Johnathan,

You nailed it. I changed the hardware port and now the PC comes up as #1. I get port types mixed up, but there were two that were the same and I just switched to the other one. I use an adapter to make it fit my monitor because I use a CRT monitor.

Unfortunately, my cheap HDMI cable literally pulled apart at the plug when I slid the case back so I'll need to buy another one. Until then, I can't really test both displays but your answer seems very much like the obvious one I was looking for so I'm sure you got it right.

The HDTV I'm running is a 46" Sony Bravia KDL-46S3000
KDL-46S3000 | 46" BRAVIA S Series LCD HD Television | Sony | Sony Style USA

It's only 720p, so that means 1280x720, right? Should this be the resolution that I see when I set the resolution with Windows 7? Due to broken cable I can't check it now, but I'll pick one up tonight. As I recall, this was NOT the resolution. In duplication mode, Windows 7 sets the PC Monitor to match the HDTV. My concern is that the PC Monitor may not really support the resolution that best serves the HDTV. In fact, the ratio of the HDTV just doesn't seem to be supported by the CRT, so I seems impossible that resolution can be supported by the PC Monitor, no matter what the pixels.

Whether I'm running duplication or extended mode, it would be nice to run the HDTV in its best resolution (1280x720?) but then also run the PC CRT Monitor in it's best resolution (1920 x 1440 @85hz). Is this possible? From what I can tell, Windows 7 defaults both monitors to the lesser resolution.

Thanks again for your help. The 1 & 2 swap, as petty as it sounds, has been a time consuming problem for me until you came along.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 May 2011   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

That HDTV has a maximum resolution of 1280x720 at 60p.

The awesome thing about LCDs is the resolution ratio can change and they can compensate. This is because if you were to watch a non-HD broadcast on TV or a DVD, the TV would have to compensate for the lack of pixels being pushed through. This is why you can watch standard definition broadcasts in their native form [with the black bars on the left and right]. The same goes for using your PC. If you want, you can duplicate your screen [in this case the max that it can handle at a regular resolution would be something like 1024x768, which is actually a pretty standard number. To recap: as long as the ratio is 4:3 (1.33) you should be able to mirror the image. The highest resolution you can go though is 1024x768.

And to answer your last question about best resolutions, I suggest running 1366x768 on the TV and 1920x1440 on your monitor. Always shoot for what you are given in the specs. If the 1366x768 resolution looks a bit darker than you'd like, try 1280x720 and see if that looks better.

I mention that because I have a Sony 32" and at 1366x768 (it's native) the picture looks a bit darker than if I ran it at 1280x720. That's just my experience though and a suggestion. If 768 works for you, go for it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 May 2011   #5

 
 

Johnathan,

Good info. Let me see if I understand. Because my Sony HDTV is an LCD it doesn't really matter what resolution I send it it because it will compensate to make it fit, and I don't have to worry about damaging the display the way I would have to worry about damaging my older CRT Monitor. Right? Is this true for all LCDs?

Also, even though the sony is advertised as 720p, when I look at the specs (see my link) it's really 1366 x 768 so I might as well give that a try, but use 720 if 768 is too dark.

So it's okay to run different resolutions for the PC Monitor than I do for the Sony HDTV. Whether I'm running in Duplicate Mode or Extended Mode, can I run the PC Monitor in 4:3 and the Sony HDTV in 16:9? Hardware won't be hurt in anyway, right?

Running in extension mode I can move the mouse to the right of the screen and it will go to the other monitor (HDTV). Is there a setting somewhere that would allow the mouse to switch to the second monitor when it leaves the left side of the primary monitor screen, and/or the top or bottom?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2011   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by petepc View Post
Johnathan,

Good info. Let me see if I understand. Because my Sony HDTV is an LCD it doesn't really matter what resolution I send it it because it will compensate to make it fit, and I don't have to worry about damaging the display the way I would have to worry about damaging my older CRT Monitor. Right? Is this true for all LCDs?
Up to the maximum supported resolution, yes.

Quote:
Also, even though the sony is advertised as 720p, when I look at the specs (see my link) it's really 1366 x 768 so I might as well give that a try, but use 720 if 768 is too dark.
Mine is the same way. When they says 720p, they are talking more about the broadcast signal. My 32" is 1366x768 but 1280x720 looks 10x better.

Quote:
So it's okay to run different resolutions for the PC Monitor than I do for the Sony HDTV. Whether I'm running in Duplicate Mode or Extended Mode, can I run the PC Monitor in 4:3 and the Sony HDTV in 16:9? Hardware won't be hurt in anyway, right?
If you duplicate, they will have to be the same resolution. If you extend, the resolutions can be independent of each other. The graphics driver assembles/lays out your desktop (like you see mine in the image a few posts up) based on the resolution(s) of each display. If you notice, 1 and 2 are the same size next to each other, and 3 is smaller (my TV).

Quote:
Running in extension mode I can move the mouse to the right of the screen and it will go to the other monitor (HDTV). Is there a setting somewhere that would allow the mouse to switch to the second monitor when it leaves the left side of the primary monitor screen, and/or the top or bottom?
You can essentially lay out how each monitor is oriented. You can "stack" them on top of each other so a TV off to your right (like mine is) is actually ABOVE your main monitor (as the computer sees it) so you move your mouse up off the top of monitor one and it shows up on the bottom of monitor two.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2011   #7

 
 

Johnathan,

Wow, thanks for your time, patience, and knowledge. You not only solved my problem but got me a little more educated on the whole topic. I was able to try a few things out with my wife's laptop and I agree 100% about the Sony TV being better looking at the 720p res.

I'll play around with it more once I get my cables. Thank you again for your help. If I have any more questions I'm sure I'll search these forums first. Good resource.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 May 2011   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by petepc View Post
Johnathan,

Wow, thanks for your time, patience, and knowledge. You not only solved my problem but got me a little more educated on the whole topic. I was able to try a few things out with my wife's laptop and I agree 100% about the Sony TV being better looking at the 720p res.

I'll play around with it more once I get my cables. Thank you again for your help. If I have any more questions I'm sure I'll search these forums first. Good resource.
That's fantastic to hear. Do not hesitate to visit the scale on the top right of this post and tell the world about it. I will have this thread marked as solved.

Have a good one!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2011   #9

 
 

Johnathan,

I finally got my new HDMI cable today and installed it, but things aren't what I'd hoped. I have two ports to choose from on my HD 5770, but it doesn't matter which one I put it in, windows 7 always reads the monitor as #2 and the HDTV as #1. If I just have the monitor hooked up, it's #1, but the moment I plug in the HDMI it takes the #1 slot.

The Catalyst software detects it properly as #1, but windows 7 resolution screen does not. When I use the displayswitch.exe application it seems to works except that the projector is the PC and vice versa. Strangely, when I use displayswitch.exe to go into exteneded mode, it seems to know my monitor is the the main display because it gives it the taskbar on the bottom. Long story short, it's good enough. I really like the convenience of using displayswitch.exe so I'll just remember the projector & PC are backwards. I'll keep messing with the catalyst sofware and see if I can create a shortcut from there. Maybe because my monitor is a CRT and I had to use an adapter to plug it in that is causing the ATI card some confusion? Adapter came with the vid card as I recall... Anyway, your help was still valuable. I can orient the screens the way I want them (top & bottom, left or right) and I'm using the better resolutions. It's good enough.

Thanks again & take care.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2011   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by petepc View Post
Johnathan,

I finally got my new HDMI cable today and installed it, but things aren't what I'd hoped. I have two ports to choose from on my HD 5770, but it doesn't matter which one I put it in, windows 7 always reads the monitor as #2 and the HDTV as #1. If I just have the monitor hooked up, it's #1, but the moment I plug in the HDMI it takes the #1 slot.

The Catalyst software detects it properly as #1, but windows 7 resolution screen does not. When I use the displayswitch.exe application it seems to works except that the projector is the PC and vice versa. Strangely, when I use displayswitch.exe to go into exteneded mode, it seems to know my monitor is the the main display because it gives it the taskbar on the bottom. Long story short, it's good enough. I really like the convenience of using displayswitch.exe so I'll just remember the projector & PC are backwards. I'll keep messing with the catalyst sofware and see if I can create a shortcut from there. Maybe because my monitor is a CRT and I had to use an adapter to plug it in that is causing the ATI card some confusion? Adapter came with the vid card as I recall... Anyway, your help was still valuable. I can orient the screens the way I want them (top & bottom, left or right) and I'm using the better resolutions. It's good enough.

Thanks again & take care.
Like I explained with the whole DVI > HDMI > VGA priority in an eariler post, HDMI will come first to Windows because it detects in that order. CCC probably put your monitor first or kept it that way because of settings you chose or that because it had a higher resolution AND your TV reported back that it's a TV. CCC is much smarter than Windows is.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 W7 Extended Display - should be ez, but its not




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: W7 Extended Display - should be ez, but its not
Thread Forum
Extended display over 3 monitors Graphic Cards
Solved Extended Display Not Working Hardware & Devices
Solved Directing apps to extended display General Discussion
Why my extended display went on reverse? Graphic Cards
Windows 7 extended display and Adobe 9 Software
Extended Display Hardware & Devices
Media Browser and Extended Display Media Center

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33