Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Problem with Graphic Card

19 Jun 2011   #1
coolblue7730

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 
Problem with Graphic Card

Hey there,

I’ve been having graphic issues for quite some time now. Here’s the problem; usually when I play games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, the game freezes and then the blue screen comes out. It happens to EA’s The Sims 3 as well; it flashes, freezes, artifacts and then the blue screen.

So I came up with the solution that the graphic card was overheating. I bought and A/C fan to blow air directly to the graphic card. This fan seemed to cool the card down for me to only have a few flashes and freezes but artifacts are rarely seen. I limit myself to only one hour of play to try and avoid the blue screen. I’ve been doing this for about 3 months but I did not play these games daily.

Two days ago, I played the Sims 3 for about a week already at about 1 to 1 and a half hours daily. The usual occurred; flashing, freezing but no blue screen. The pc was fine and I shut down the normal way. In the morning when I powered on the pc, the screen resolution had changed from the usual of 1024x768 to 800x600 so, I changed the resolution back but that was not the only problem the taskbar color was supposed to be Slate but it has this blue that doesn’t change no matter what theme I use and there are other little graphic changes as well.

I realized something was wrong with the graphic so I restarted the pc and to my horror, it was artifacting during boot up and there are thin yellow lines on the desktop (this has never happened before). I went to device manager and on the graphic card this error message: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) was seen. Ok I wrote a really long post and you must be wondering what are the specs of this pc. Here they are:

Mainboard: Gigabyte M57SLI-S4
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ @ 2800MHz
Physical Memory: 2048MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM)
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit) [originally win xp service pack 3]
Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Power: 460w

If I missed anything, please notify. I don’t know if this is related or not; Dx Diag is missing from my pc and I did not uninstall it and I used it before but it’s like it never existed. Oh if you can help me on this it would be great. Oh, there’s a picture to show the taskbar color, the device manager, and the windows media player (please note that the yellow lines are not present at the time i print screen this). Do you guys know what’s wrong?




Attached Thumbnails
Problem with Graphic Card-picture.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Jun 2011   #2
Terronium 12

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

How long have you had the card?

If the card is artifacting during boot-up then it's more likely a problem with the GPU itself. If the option is available to you, try using the card in another PC and if the problem persists then it's a problem with the GPU; it's either on it's last legs, or the memory modules are overheating. Using a common house fan will more often than not blow "dirty" air, which won't help you in the long run.

You'll also have to excuse me if I seem all over the place as I'm half-asleep right now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2011   #3
coolblue7730

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Terronium, it's not a house fan, it's a fan that's more or less like one you'll find in a computer just that it has a power plug of its own. And uh, sorry to sound really slow but i'm not really good with computers; so if it is the GPU that's causing the problem, is there any solution to it or just to replace the card?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Jun 2011   #4
Terronium 12

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

If the problem persists even in a different PC than it's likely that the card needs to be replaced. Try that before getting in the mindset that it's now useless; better to be safe than sorry.

What case are you using?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2011   #5
coolblue7730

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

I just realized that i had not even answered your previous question. The card is probably about 3 to 4 years old. The same age as the other parts in the pc. And it's custom built; had its parts picked by a friend of a friend so the case has got no name. Sorry. However, I'll try the card in another pc if it can as the other pc is actually older than this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2011   #6
Terronium 12

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

What PSU are you using?

It really does sound like a hardware problem but like I said before, I'd like to cover all the bases before suggesting you go out and buy a new card.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2011   #7
coolblue7730

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

The PSU is Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 460W (120mm fan). And it's quite new I would say; I had it replaced just about 6months to a year ago.

I appreciate the fact that you would not like to jump into conclusion but do you have any recommendation on which graphic card should I get. A card that is cheap, would fit my current computer specs and also maybe a little better than my current card. I'm not a serious gamer. I just do it for fun.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2011   #8
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

You haven't told us which graphics card you're using, which would have helped, but something like the ATI Radeon HD 4650 would be OK.

My computer has a 460W power supply and it's running the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 quite happily.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2011   #9
Terronium 12

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by coolblue7730 View Post
The PSU is Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 460W (120mm fan). And it's quite new I would say; I had it replaced just about 6months to a year ago.

I appreciate the fact that you would not like to jump into conclusion but do you have any recommendation on which graphic card should I get. A card that is cheap, would fit my current computer specs and also maybe a little better than my current card. I'm not a serious gamer. I just do it for fun.
How much would you be willing to spend?

For a little over $100 you can get a GTX 260.


Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N26UD-896M GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
You haven't told us which graphics card you're using, which would have helped, but something like the ATI Radeon HD 4650 would be OK.

My computer has a 460W power supply and it's running the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 quite happily.
He's using an 8500GT.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2011   #10
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Terronium 12 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by coolblue7730 View Post
The PSU is Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 460W (120mm fan). And it's quite new I would say; I had it replaced just about 6months to a year ago.

I appreciate the fact that you would not like to jump into conclusion but do you have any recommendation on which graphic card should I get. A card that is cheap, would fit my current computer specs and also maybe a little better than my current card. I'm not a serious gamer. I just do it for fun.
How much would you be willing to spend?

For a little over $100 you can get a GTX 260.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N26UD-896M GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
You haven't told us which graphics card you're using, which would have helped, but something like the ATI Radeon HD 4650 would be OK.

My computer has a 460W power supply and it's running the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 quite happily.
He's using an 8500GT.
You're quite right, I need an eye test.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Problem with Graphic Card




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Graphic card problem or??
Running W7P and while doing some image and backup work, I noticed that everytime I do a restart of the system (whilst pushing the "Delete" button to get to bios) and before the first bios screen, the graphic card (ATI Radeon HD 4850) fan will go into screaming high speed. The system will no longer...
Graphic Cards
Graphic card problem Please help
Recently i was facing heavy frame rate drop down in games, as i have some experience with hardware i removed my graphic card (an nvidia 9400gt) and cleaned it. i saw that its fan stopped spinning and i cant see anything on my monitor. so my question is- is this card dead or is my fan is in trouble?
Graphic Cards
graphic card problem
hey guys, i downloaded nfs THE RUN i ran it it said that your garphic card software is 197 upgradee it to 301 i did the same my graphic card is NVIDIA geforce210 en silent. no it is coming 640*480 screen resolution which is very very badd and bigg. when i am trying to change the...
Graphic Cards
Graphic Card Problem.
Hi. I have a Core i7 860 & Asus P7P55D Deluxe MB and 8G Geil Ram and Asus GT240 1G Gddr5 running in 7os. When I use 8G ram in my 7 or xp os whether 86x or 64x My Graphic Card Goes wrong. When I run a game like Crysis it becomes like patterns and and a minute or so, There's an error of NVIDEA...
Graphic Cards
Problem with my Graphic card
hello, i need help with my graphic card setting. i have a Casper (window7 home basic 64bit ith 4gb of Ram)with 1 1gb og video memory but it said 65mb of video memory...then ım facing problem playing games like fifa and pes with the highest quality...that why i bought that computer :)..ıts a...
Graphic Cards
Graphic Card Problem
it shows that my graphic card is not detected and when i try to update the driver it shows that driver is up to date...how is that possible:huh:?
Graphic Cards

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App