Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Screen Resolution for Widescreen

03 Jul 2011   #1
merelda

Laptop: BENQ Joybook S53
 
 
Screen Resolution for Widescreen

I bought this new laptop, it's a 15.2" widescreen, but the highest resolution I can choose is 1024x768... I thought it was the graphics card drivers issue, but at Device Manager it says "Windows determined your driver is up to date". I've installed all windows update and now I'm stuck. Everything is so stretched out and so ugly, please help!!!!

Don't know what info I should put on, but I have a standard VGA graphics adapter with driver version 6.1.7600.16385... Oh and my laptop is Proline W763S.

Thanks for the help!!!!!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Jul 2011   #2
richyrichuk

Windows 7 Ultimate N 64-bit
 
 

use http://www.piriform.com/speccy to find out what chip it is and DL latest drivers for chipset.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2011   #3
MrNeeds

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by merelda View Post
I bought this new laptop, it's a 15.2" widescreen, but the highest resolution I can choose is 1024x768... I thought it was the graphics card drivers issue, but at Device Manager it says "Windows determined your driver is up to date". I've installed all windows update and now I'm stuck. Everything is so stretched out and so ugly, please help!!!!

Don't know what info I should put on, but I have a standard VGA graphics adapter with driver version 6.1.7600.16385... Oh and my laptop is Proline W763S.

Thanks for the help!!!!!
download this, enter the captcha and download and install, this is the correct driver for your system so it should work > http://w3.sis.com/download/download_...3&Image791.y=6
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Jul 2011   #4
merelda

Laptop: BENQ Joybook S53
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrNeeds View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by merelda View Post
I bought this new laptop, it's a 15.2" widescreen, but the highest resolution I can choose is 1024x768... I thought it was the graphics card drivers issue, but at Device Manager it says "Windows determined your driver is up to date". I've installed all windows update and now I'm stuck. Everything is so stretched out and so ugly, please help!!!!

Don't know what info I should put on, but I have a standard VGA graphics adapter with driver version 6.1.7600.16385... Oh and my laptop is Proline W763S.

Thanks for the help!!!!!
download this, enter the captcha and download and install, this is the correct driver for your system so it should work > http://w3.sis.com/download/download_...3&Image791.y=6
I went to the page but it only has options GPU or IGP graphics drivers, but the device manager says i have a standard VGA graphics adapter?

thanks for the reply!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2011   #5
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by merelda View Post
I went to the page but it only has options GPU or IGP graphics drivers, but the device manager says i have a standard VGA graphics adapter?

thanks for the reply!!
"Standard VGA graphics adapter" means that your machine is using generic drivers, not the ones for your graphics device.

The newest drivers at benq.eu for your model support Windows XP. They date from 2004. You're in this situation:

Graphics — Older Intel® graphics controllers and Microsoft Windows 7* operating system

No Windows 7 drivers. Intel suggests that you install the XP drivers. You won't get Aero Glass effects, but you may be able to get Windows 7 to run fairly normally.

It might have made sense to stay with XP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2011   #6
merelda

Laptop: BENQ Joybook S53
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by merelda View Post
I went to the page but it only has options GPU or IGP graphics drivers, but the device manager says i have a standard VGA graphics adapter?

thanks for the reply!!
"Standard VGA graphics adapter" means that your machine is using generic drivers, not the ones for your graphics device.

The newest drivers at benq.eu for your model support Windows XP. They date from 2004. You're in this situation:

Graphics — Older Intel® graphics controllers and Microsoft Windows 7* operating system

No Windows 7 drivers. Intel suggests that you install the XP drivers. You won't get Aero Glass effects, but you may be able to get Windows 7 to run fairly normally.

It might have made sense to stay with XP.
oh thanks for the reply!!
so I still don't exactly get it... do I download the GPU or the IGP?
and there are so many different ones under GPU and IGP...
where do I check which one is mine??

thanks again
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2011   #7
MrNeeds

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by merelda View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrNeeds View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by merelda View Post
I bought this new laptop, it's a 15.2" widescreen, but the highest resolution I can choose is 1024x768... I thought it was the graphics card drivers issue, but at Device Manager it says "Windows determined your driver is up to date". I've installed all windows update and now I'm stuck. Everything is so stretched out and so ugly, please help!!!!

Don't know what info I should put on, but I have a standard VGA graphics adapter with driver version 6.1.7600.16385... Oh and my laptop is Proline W763S.

Thanks for the help!!!!!
download this, enter the captcha and download and install, this is the correct driver for your system so it should work > http://w3.sis.com/download/download_...3&Image791.y=6
I went to the page but it only has options GPU or IGP graphics drivers, but the device manager says i have a standard VGA graphics adapter?

thanks for the reply!!
Choose IGP, It stands for integrated graphics processor, the drivers I've directed you to are the ones that match your model number, choose IGP drivers and select "sis671 & sis672 series", then download and install, this will install your graphics card and you'll be able to restore functionality to your graphics. (standard VGA adapter is just the basic driver windows installs if it cannot detect which card you have)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2011   #8
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
The newest drivers at benq.eu for your model support Windows XP.
My apologies. I don't know where I got the idea that the notebook is a Benq S53.

(The Proline W763S has an Intel CPU, but an SiS chipset and graphics.)

I hope that the UniVGA5 drivers work for you. Some notebook makers customize their onboard graphics device IDs, so that the chipset maker's installers don't recognize the device.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2011   #9
merelda

Laptop: BENQ Joybook S53
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
The newest drivers at benq.eu for your model support Windows XP.
My apologies. I don't know where I got the idea that the notebook is a Benq S53.

(The Proline W763S has an Intel CPU, but an SiS chipset and graphics.)

I hope that the UniVGA5 drivers work for you. Some notebook makers customize their onboard graphics device IDs, so that the chipset maker's installers don't recognize the device.
hey benq s53 was my old laptop

thanks so much for the help!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2011   #10
merelda

Laptop: BENQ Joybook S53
 
 

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!
thanks guys, 100 points :P
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Screen Resolution for Widescreen




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Screen Resolution, Out Of Range when playing games in full screen mode
Hey guys, i have a monitor with a native screen resolution of 1280x1024 , but windows is unable to detect it since my monitor is quite old and the driver i found on the official website is for windows xp only. now windows display this list of resolutions ...
Gaming
Forcing Screen Resolution Higher Than Native Resolution
Hi. I'm new here and this is my first post. I looked around a little and found one other thread with a similar question, but the question wasn't really answered. I can't find anything on the net that doesn't confuse me so bad it makes my head hurt, so I thought I'd try asking here. Thanks in...
Graphic Cards
Widescreen on 1024x768 resolution
Some time ago, I purchased a Sharp XR-32X DLP with nativ resolution 1024x768. I also built my own screen but decided to make it in 16:9 format, since most movies are in this standard. Now to the problem: Is there a way to limit the desktop to 16:9? I don't want to change the resolution to...
Graphic Cards
How can I change the aspect ratio from widescreen to.. not-widescreen
I would like to state first that I've searched the forum for this question with reasonable effort and I could not find this particular one or an answer to it. I have a widescreen monitor. There are some old games I like to play which do not have widescreen resolutions, and as a result, the...
Graphic Cards
Windows 7 Widescreen resolution problem.
Hello forums. I just installed Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit on my 'Lenovo - Thinkcentre 817258G'. My problem is that my widescreen monitor (Samsung - SynchMaster 2343NW) has an optimal resolution of 2048x1152, but Windows only lets me choose 1600x1200. I ran the windows updater as soon as...
Drivers
Windows 7 RC x32 Widescreen Resolution Problem
The other day i installed Windows 7 RC x32 on my laptop with a 1680 x 1050 HD LCD Screen, off course it's widescreen. Now hen i run any 4:3 resolution, such as 1024 x 768 the image doesen't fit the hole screen, leaving one bar at each side. This only happens hen i'm running Windows 7, i have...
Graphic Cards

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:22.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App