Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need new Video Card

06 Aug 2011   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 
Need new Video Card

I need some help in finding a new graphic card for an older system.

The specs I currently have are as follows: Motherboard is P5GD1 Socket 775, Ram is 2GB Dual Channel DDR @160MHz (2.5-4-4-8), CPU is Intel Pentium 4 530 Prescott 90nm Technology, and Video Card is 256MB Radeon x700 Pro.

What video cards would work in this system? I want to find a better one then the x700 Pro.

Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Aug 2011   #2

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
I need some help in finding a new graphic card for an older system.

The specs I currently have are as follows: Motherboard is P5GD1 Socket 775, Ram is 2GB Dual Channel DDR @160MHz (2.5-4-4-8), CPU is Intel Pentium 4 530 Prescott 90nm Technology, and Video Card is 256MB Radeon x700 Pro.

What video cards would work in this system? I want to find a better one then the x700 Pro.

Thanks
The board has a PCI-Express X16 slot, so it'll take most recent graphics cards. (Newer ones tend to be PCI-E X16 2.0 or 2.1, but they're supposed to be back compatible.)

What's your budget?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2011   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
I need some help in finding a new graphic card for an older system.

The specs I currently have are as follows: Motherboard is P5GD1 Socket 775, Ram is 2GB Dual Channel DDR @160MHz (2.5-4-4-8), CPU is Intel Pentium 4 530 Prescott 90nm Technology, and Video Card is 256MB Radeon x700 Pro.

What video cards would work in this system? I want to find a better one then the x700 Pro.

Thanks
The board has a PCI-Express X16 slot, so it'll take most recent graphics cards. (Newer ones tend to be PCI-E X16 2.0 or 2.1, but they're supposed to be back compatible.)

What's your budget?
Around $100.00 CAD. I am planning on getting a new Sandy Bridge system next year but wanted to upgrade this one a bit to handle a few newer games. Nothing like the new stuff out now of course. Just games released a few years ago.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Aug 2011   #4

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
I need some help in finding a new graphic card for an older system.

The specs I currently have are as follows: Motherboard is P5GD1 Socket 775, Ram is 2GB Dual Channel DDR @160MHz (2.5-4-4-8), CPU is Intel Pentium 4 530 Prescott 90nm Technology, and Video Card is 256MB Radeon x700 Pro.

What video cards would work in this system? I want to find a better one then the x700 Pro.

Thanks
The board has a PCI-Express X16 slot, so it'll take most recent graphics cards. (Newer ones tend to be PCI-E X16 2.0 or 2.1, but they're supposed to be back compatible.)

What's your budget?
Around $100.00 CAD. I am planning on getting a new Sandy Bridge system next year but wanted to upgrade this one a bit to handle a few newer games. Nothing like the new stuff out now of course. Just games released a few years ago.
If I look at www.newegg.ca, there's sort of a wall at $100 CAD. Above it, you can get cards in the AMD Radeon 67xx series. (Or, the 57xx series.) Below $100, you're in the 66xx series at best. Apparently there's a large performance difference. The nVidia offerings look like they only start to get competitive at the GTS450 level. The very popular GTX 460 cards tend above $150 in the (preferred) 1GB form, although you could save significant money with a recertified unit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post

The board has a PCI-Express X16 slot, so it'll take most recent graphics cards. (Newer ones tend to be PCI-E X16 2.0 or 2.1, but they're supposed to be back compatible.)

What's your budget?
Around $100.00 CAD. I am planning on getting a new Sandy Bridge system next year but wanted to upgrade this one a bit to handle a few newer games. Nothing like the new stuff out now of course. Just games released a few years ago.
If I look at www.newegg.ca, there's sort of a wall at $100 CAD. Above it, you can get cards in the AMD Radeon 67xx series. (Or, the 57xx series.) Below $100, you're in the 66xx series at best. Apparently there's a large performance difference. The nVidia offerings look like they only start to get competitive at the GTS450 level. The very popular GTX 460 cards tend above $150 in the (preferred) 1GB form, although you could save significant money with a recertified unit.
Would this one work with my current setup listed above:
SAPPHIRE 100338L Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card. or

this one from NCIX:
Sapphire Vapor-X HD 6770 860MHZ 1GB 4.8KHZ GDDD5 PCI-E 2x DUAL-LINK 1x Display Port HDMI Video Card or

this one:
Sapphire Radeon HD 6790 840MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI HDMI DisplayPort Video Card has far better performance but will need bigger Power Supply.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2011   #6

windows 7 ultimate 64bit
 
 
yer

yer they should work as long as ur power supply up to it all the 5xx cards and 6xx card use separate power supply , pcie
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2011   #7

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Sapphire requires a 450W PSU with one 6 pin PCI-E auxiliary power connector for the 6770. For the 6790, it's two 6 pin connectors, and a 500W supply.

You may be able to use a Molex-to-PCI-E power adapter if your PSU lacks PCI-E power. As you didn't list your PSU type, it's hard to say anything definite.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2011   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Sapphire requires a 450W PSU with one 6 pin PCI-E auxiliary power connector for the 6770. For the 6790, it's two 6 pin connectors, and a 500W supply.

You may be able to use a Molex-to-PCI-E power adapter if your PSU lacks PCI-E power. As you didn't list your PSU type, it's hard to say anything definite.
I have a Thermaktake 450W PSU so the 6790 would not work.

thanks
will do some review searches for those cards.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2011   #9

Windows 7 ultimate 32bit
 
 

Radeon HD 5670 not too slow and not too fast.450W Psu is perfect for this card.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2011   #10

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Sapphire requires a 450W PSU with one 6 pin PCI-E auxiliary power connector for the 6770. For the 6790, it's two 6 pin connectors, and a 500W supply.

You may be able to use a Molex-to-PCI-E power adapter if your PSU lacks PCI-E power. As you didn't list your PSU type, it's hard to say anything definite.
I have a Thermaktake 450W PSU so the 6790 would not work.

thanks
will do some review searches for those cards.
Which Thermaltake 450W PSU do you have?

This one:

Newegg.com - Thermaltake TR2 Series TR-450P 450W ATX 12V V2.3 & EPS 12V 2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

has 34A on its single +12V rail. I believe that it should be more than adequate with a 6790.

For comparison, the cheapest "500W" single-rail PUS at Newegg is:

Newegg.com - Linkworld LPK2-30-P4 500W ATX12V Power Supply

20A at +12V. (Probably wouldn't work well with a 6790, even though it's "500W".)

Here's a cheapish 600W unit:

Newegg.com - ePOWER TVPS650 650W ATX12V Power Supply

34A on the +12V rail, same as the Thermaltake 450W unit.

If your Thermaltake PSU is as good as the one above, I'd have no hestation about using it with a single 6970 if the system was mine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need new Video Card




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33