Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Planning to Upgrade My Monitors


02 Oct 2011   #1

Windows 7x32 Home Premium & XP SP3 x86
 
 
Planning to Upgrade My Monitors

Is it the graphics cards that determine how large a monitor(s) I can get without losing resolution (quality of image).

I saw some 23" and 25" flat screen monitors yesterday that really have me wanting new (larger) monitors.

If I had two new flat screens, I would not only have larger screens but I would regain a lot of table top space too. I have two 17" ViewSonic A90f+ UltraBrites now.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Oct 2011   #2

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Generally, no.

Really high resolutions like 2560X1600 (available with 30" monitors) may require special cards, but the common 1920x1080 won't.

Performance in 3D gaming is another matter, but you probably don't need a high-end graphics card if that's not your object.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2011   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

The video card itself has the ability to output a certain resolution. And monitors have a native resolution, or max resolution that they run. In the 23-25" category, that's usually either 1920x1080 or 1920x1200.

Many, like this card, can output up to 2560x1600
Newegg.com - ZOTAC AMP! ZT-50402-10L GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

For basic tasks, like displaying the Windows desktop, or surfing the web...you don't need a powerful video card to hit your monitors native resolution. However, if you are a gamer, the higher the resolution you want to run, the more powerful that your video card must be. Typically, you can run your game at a lower resolution, but unfortunately when the monitors scale back the image, they don't look as sharp. So, you really want to run your monitor at your monitors native resolution.

So, if today, you play games on a 1280x1024 monitor and you want to move to a new 1920x1080 monitor, you must be sure that your video card will be able to handle that increased graphical load from having a larger monitor with a better resolution.

Hopefully that makes sense.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Oct 2011   #4

Windows 7x32 Home Premium & XP SP3 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
The video card itself has the ability to output a certain resolution. And monitors have a native resolution, or max resolution that they run. In the 23-25" category, that's usually either 1920x1080 or 1920x1200.

Many, like this card, can output up to 2560x1600
Newegg.com - ZOTAC AMP! ZT-50402-10L GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

For basic tasks, like displaying the Windows desktop, or surfing the web...you don't need a powerful video card to hit your monitors native resolution. However, if you are a gamer, the higher the resolution you want to run, the more powerful that your video card must be. Typically, you can run your game at a lower resolution, but unfortunately when the monitors scale back the image, they don't look as sharp. So, you really want to run your monitor at your monitors native resolution.

So, if today, you play games on a 1280x1024 monitor and you want to move to a new 1920x1080 monitor, you must be sure that your video card will be able to handle that increased graphical load from having a larger monitor with a better resolution.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Thanks for the reply. I don't know why I didn't do a search before I asked but I found this to further substantiate your comments. I'm going for it.

Planning to Upgrade My Monitors-monitor-upgrade.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2011   #5

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dustywoodworker View Post
Thanks for the reply. I don't know why I didn't do a search before I asked but I found this to further substantiate your comments. I'm going for it.
The 7950 GX2 is an ancient card, released 5 years ago. I doubt that you'll find one new.

The GTX 590 is the current equivalent (dual graphics processors in package that goes in a single slot), but you may have trouble finding one. There's a third-party card with two GTX 580 processors in a single package, but it's a bit expensive:

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Video Cards & Video Devices, Desktop Graphics / Video Cards, GeForce GTX 590 (Fermi), GeForce GTX 580 x2 (Fermi)

If you wish to try single-slot SLI, you could consider a dual GTX 460:

Newegg.com - EVGA 02G-P3-1387-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 2Win 2GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

($400). I'd recommend a single GTX580 or AMD Radeon 6970. SLI (or Crossfire, the AMD equivalent) works, but is less reliable (IMHO) than a single graphics processor.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2011   #6

Windows 7x32 Home Premium & XP SP3 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dustywoodworker View Post
Thanks for the reply. I don't know why I didn't do a search before I asked but I found this to further substantiate your comments. I'm going for it.
The 7950 GX2 is an ancient card, released 5 years ago. I doubt that you'll find one new.

The GTX 590 is the current equivalent (dual graphics processors in package that goes in a single slot), but you may have trouble finding one. There's a third-party card with two GTX 580 processors in a single package, but it's a bit expensive:

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Video Cards & Video Devices, Desktop Graphics / Video Cards, GeForce GTX 590 (Fermi), GeForce GTX 580 x2 (Fermi)

If you wish to try single-slot SLI, you could consider a dual GTX 460:

Newegg.com - EVGA 02G-P3-1387-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 2Win 2GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

($400). I'd recommend a single GTX580 or AMD Radeon 6970. SLI (or Crossfire, the AMD equivalent) works, but is less reliable (IMHO) than a single graphics processor.
I do appreciate your input but I must ask. If my existing video cards will function properly and provide the level of resolution that I need/want - why should I upgrade? Is it only because my GPUs are of the old (5 years) technology.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2011   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit 6.1 Build 7601 (SP1)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dustywoodworker View Post
why should I upgrade?
My now-ancient 9600GT drives my 30" 2560x1600 HP monitor just fine (Dual-DVI connection).

Get the monitor(s) you want: if your card doesn't handle them, you Newegg (for <$100. You don't really need Enrico Fermi to have designed your card unless you are a big-time gaming fanatic).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2011   #8

Windows 7x32 Home Premium & XP SP3 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
The video card itself has the ability to output a certain resolution. And monitors have a native resolution, or max resolution that they run. In the 23-25" category, that's usually either 1920x1080 or 1920x1200.

Many, like this card, can output up to 2560x1600
Newegg.com - ZOTAC AMP! ZT-50402-10L GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

For basic tasks, like displaying the Windows desktop, or surfing the web...you don't need a powerful video card to hit your monitors native resolution. However, if you are a gamer, the higher the resolution you want to run, the more powerful that your video card must be. Typically, you can run your game at a lower resolution, but unfortunately when the monitors scale back the image, they don't look as sharp. So, you really want to run your monitor at your monitors native resolution.

So, if today, you play games on a 1280x1024 monitor and you want to move to a new 1920x1080 monitor, you must be sure that your video card will be able to handle that increased graphical load from having a larger monitor with a better resolution.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Yes, it does make sense and I thank you for your input. I am not a gamer and I do not NEED improved resolution to utilize my computer. The greatest challenge that I present to my graphics cards is an older version of AutoCad. Other than that and Sketchup, I use my commuter for unexciting things like surfing and (personal) financial management.

Two new slim line flat screens would sure reduce the crowded space on my desk though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2011   #9

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dustywoodworker View Post
I do appreciate your input but I must ask. If my existing video cards will function properly and provide the level of resolution that I need/want - why should I upgrade? Is it only because my GPUs are of the old (5 years) technology.
I didn't look at your specs tab. If you already have the 7950 GX2, I suggest staying with it. It ought to be OK. (I dimly recall some problem with dual monitors and SLI setups, but it seems like you'd laready know about that.) I got the false impression that you intended to buy one.

(Why do you have a card that was mainly aimed at gamers?)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2011   #10

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 and Mac OS X 10.8.3
 
 

Why do you have a card that was mainly aimed at gamers? Good question bobkn.

If you only want to upgrade to save space the I would recomend not to upgrade. If you are not gaming then you don't need all of the flashy new tech that the new monitors have. I think that you would be disapointed if you upgrade. Wait until they die then upgrade. Thats just what I think.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Planning to Upgrade My Monitors




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33