Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Opinions regarding monitor


16 Nov 2011   #1

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 
Opinions regarding monitor

As shown on my specs,its a 22 inch.

1) I'm not a gamer, I don't play games, not even solitaire,minesweeper etc
2) I do not edit anything in high definition say - video, pictures. (i don't edit anything really, I used to photo-shop before but now I don't anymore)
3) I do not watch movies on my computer either. (I hardly watch movies on TV too)

this makes me an average PC user, I like fidgeting, learning new stuffs about OS etc, and for work, I use google to solve my problems. Anyway, so the question is, is it okay for me to still keep such a big monitor? I'm planing on purchasing a new monitor 17inch monitor (could be Dell) _______________
so what do you think guys? should I keep the 22inch, or get a new 17inch

thanks for the opinions

also: I don't make the screens brightness to 100% cause it hurts my eyes, I always keep it to 60 or below 60

thanks once again


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Nov 2011   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

My usage pattern is pretty much the same as yours. No games, light photoshop, movies on TV or not at all.

I have a 19 inch NEC and have decided that if it fails, I would not go above 19 inch for a replacement.

It depends to some degree on your distance from the screen. Mine is about 4 inches beyond arm's length. I would go above 19 inches only at a greater distance than that. Likewise, I would not want to watch TV on a 50 inch screen a distance of 6 feet. I never sit in the front rows of a movie theater.

Ultimately, I guess it is personal preference because I do hear of people using large monitors at relatively close range.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2011   #3

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

downgrade?!?!?

personally i think a bigish high-res monitor is a good idea. i would hate to go back to 17" again.

you don't have to run everything full-screen, and can have a few windows open at the same time, depending on what you're doing at the time.

is there anything wrong with your current 22"? why do you want to downgrade?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


16 Nov 2011   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mickey megabyte View Post
downgrade?!?!?

personally i think a bigish high-res monitor is a good idea. i would hate to go back to 17" again.

you don't have to run everything full-screen, and can have a few windows open at the same time, depending on what you're doing at the time.

is there anything wrong with your current 22"? why do you want to downgrade?
the 22' is perfectly fine i just wanted a smaller one, cause the 22' does not get fully utilized by me. half the time my computer is off cause i'm at work (Friday as weekend), i get to use it the few hours i'm back from work before bedtime, i don't do much. just browse browse browse & keep browsing,play games on facebook & being on this forum is my new favorite thing . or should i get a 18 or 19 inch then?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2011   #5

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (desktop)
 
 

Stick with what you have, don't downgrade. Better yet, get a second 22"!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2011   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
My usage pattern is pretty much the same as yours. No games, light photoshop, movies on TV or not at all.

I have a 19 inch NEC and have decided that if it fails, I would not go above 19 inch for a replacement.

It depends to some degree on your distance from the screen. Mine is about 4 inches beyond arm's length. I would go above 19 inches only at a greater distance than that. Likewise, I would not want to watch TV on a 50 inch screen a distance of 6 feet. I never sit in the front rows of a movie theater.

Ultimately, I guess it is personal preference because I do hear of people using large monitors at relatively close range.
my distance is around 5 to 6 inches (maybe more,haven't measured). thing is ever since i purchased this monitor i developed a habit of leaning forward, with my hand under my chin and glaring at the monitor. I've been acquainted with computer since early 2001 (i was 9 yrs old back then) and haven't had eyesight problems until now,but making brightness to 100 hurts my eyes. so...... ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2011   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by noobvious View Post
Stick with what you have, don't downgrade. Better yet, get a second 22"!
are you sure ??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2011   #8

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (desktop)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by koolkat77 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by noobvious View Post
Stick with what you have, don't downgrade. Better yet, get a second 22"!
are you sure ??
I love having two. I had a 19" widescreen, and I liked it alot.....then one day I was offered a 20" widescreen, almost new, for $45, and i jumped on it. I never knew what I would do with a second monitor until I had one.....and now I'd hate to have to go back to just one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2011   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by noobvious View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by koolkat77 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by noobvious View Post
Stick with what you have, don't downgrade. Better yet, get a second 22"!
are you sure ??
I love having two. I had a 19" widescreen, and I liked it alot.....then one day I was offered a 20" widescreen, almost new, for $45, and i jumped on it. I never knew what I would do with a second monitor until I had one.....and now I'd hate to have to go back to just one.
nice... but i don't have the space for 2
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2011   #10

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit / XP Home sp3
 
 

As inexpensive as LCD's are these days I would stay with the size you. Unless as mentioned above distance comes into play.
Fabe
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Opinions regarding monitor




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Opinions regarding monitor
Thread Forum
Just want some opinions on these System Security
Solved Monitor resolution, opinions on new monitor/tv Graphic Cards
Experience, opinions on IPS monitor Hardware & Devices
Opinions Hardware & Devices
just asking opinions General Discussion
Opinions about using a TV as monitor Hardware & Devices
Need some opinions Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33