Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Is overclocking for graphics cards safe?

09 Dec 2011   #11

Windows 7 Ultumate x64
 
 

well said..well im thinking of changing the 260s and move to 570 or 590..and thinking as its a single one..might try OC.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Dec 2011   #12

Windows 7 Ultumate x64
 
 

and the thing is..iv got a budget..and as far as i can see 590 is like *whoooosh* so if anything happens to it ill be dead in the water!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2011   #13

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, & Mac OS X 10.9.2
 
 

There really will be no point in overclocking a 570.. It will play anything on unltra you throw at it.
And as for a 590, well that's a duel core card as it stands.. So again about the most powerfull card you can buy!

That's like marrying scarlet johansson and saying "hmm I might look for something more attractive"...!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


09 Dec 2011   #14

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mrwearysinner View Post
well said..well im thinking of changing the 260s and move to 570 or 590..and thinking as its a single one..might try OC.
Tbh a 590 is overkill for 1920x1080 (and it's not really that great a card - great performance figures aside, it has has inherent design faults and is a slave to drivers like most X2 cards. It would also be bottlenecked by the CPU running at stock clocks)

A single 570, or even a 580 (budget permitting) would suffice.

As for OCing, it depends on the game and how much eye candy you want.

ie My 580 handles most games smoothly, although there are the odd few that do benefit from an OC (I like candy )

I've got a 570 in my X58 rig and it seems to do okay, although it's paired up with a 22' @ 1680x1050 - I haven't really tested it at 1920x1080, but I suspect the odd OC here and there wouldn't hurt.

For the best 'budget' performance boost, a 570 + an aftermarket CPU cooler with a CPU OC would give you a noticeable performance increase.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2011   #15

windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
 
 

If you can't throw it away...don't overclock it! That said why not get a card that's factory overclocked?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681412756

This example is overclocked 23 mhz and has the full warranty It's about as fast as it get...for now
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2011   #16

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ivan the SoSo View Post
If you can't throw it away...don't overclock it! That said why not get a card that's factory overclocked?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681412756

This example is overclocked 23 mhz and has the full warranty It's about as fast as it get...for now
+1
maaaaaaaaaaaan i'd be crying whole day if something happened to my baby
(computer )
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2011   #17

Windows 7 Ultumate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by badger906 View Post
There really will be no point in overclocking a 570.. It will play anything on unltra you throw at it.
And as for a 590, well that's a duel core card as it stands.. So again about the most powerfull card you can buy!

That's like marrying scarlet johansson and saying "hmm I might look for something more attractive"...!!!

hahhaaa well said!! well too bad for ryan reynolds :P
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2011   #18

Windows 7 Ultumate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mrwearysinner View Post
well said..well im thinking of changing the 260s and move to 570 or 590..and thinking as its a single one..might try OC.
Tbh a 590 is overkill for 1920x1080 (and it's not really that great a card - great performance figures aside, it has has inherent design faults and is a slave to drivers like most X2 cards. It would also be bottlenecked by the CPU running at stock clocks)

A single 570, or even a 580 (budget permitting) would suffice.

As for OCing, it depends on the game and how much eye candy you want.

ie My 580 handles most games smoothly, although there are the odd few that do benefit from an OC (I like candy )

I've got a 570 in my X58 rig and it seems to do okay, although it's paired up with a 22' @ 1680x1050 - I haven't really tested it at 1920x1080, but I suspect the odd OC here and there wouldn't hurt.

For the best 'budget' performance boost, a 570 + an aftermarket CPU cooler with a CPU OC would give you a noticeable performance increase.

i prefer at 1920*1080 its like crispy and the details are at their best..i too hav a 22" and like a saw a video on youtube some guy custom rigged GTA IV the texture and game engine and everything brought new cars and stuff..man tht was like :O pure eye candy! running 590! well its like theres nothing after 590 now i guess but my budget wont allow!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2011   #19

Windows 7 Ultumate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ivan the SoSo View Post
If you can't throw it away...don't overclock it! That said why not get a card that's factory overclocked?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681412756

This example is overclocked 23 mhz and has the full warranty It's about as fast as it get...for now

MSI never used well thought of ASUS or XFX cause im a big fan of XFX loved my 260s performance!!
but this time i guess its gonna be asus!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is overclocking for graphics cards safe?





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Is overclocking for graphics cards safe?
Thread Forum
What should I know before overclocking this graphics card? Graphic Cards
is overclocking safe for my pc PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Solved is it safe when a games uses 98% gpu usage, but no overclocking Graphic Cards
overclocking safe with neforce ntune Performance & Maintenance
overclocking safe geforce 8800 gtx Graphic Cards
overclocking safe PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
PLz post a tutorial on overclocking nvidia cards Graphic Cards

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33